Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n4btb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Folks,

Somehow I have lost all my iphoto content (about 12,000 pictures and videos) and now only have thumbnail images of about 75kb for all photos and videos. I am trying to restore from back ups but no luck so far.

Whilst looking for the video files - I have found some .dvdproj files that I can play in VLC. I can see the videos but cannot hear the audio of the people speaking or the music I have added.

What I don't understand is - if I can't find the video files in iphoto... how can the .dvdproj file play the video? I thought it was only holding a link to the video files. And why does it play video but not sound?

So I have 2 questions....

1. I do not have a DVD of the projects so can I burn a DVD from an old .dvdproj file that I can send to people to view?

2. How can the .dvdproj file play the videos if I can not find them in iphoto? Are the hidden files in iphoto?

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
hmm, not too familiar with .dvdproject files, but from other Apple made files, I would suppose it's a .zip file in reality and you should be able to rename it to .zip then extract it, or right click and pick "Show package content" like you can on apps.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
.dvdproj is created by iDVD. If you right click it you will be able to open it like a folder and your videos probably have copies stored inside it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.