Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HangmanSwingset

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Everett, WA
T-Mobile has been absolutely amazing to me, and I switched almost a year ago from AT&T's $25/mo gophone plan. I'm paying $5/mo more, and getting only 100 talk minutes (down from the 250 I got before), but now 5GB of 4G in most places and LTE in others (up from no data at all). Of course both plans got unlimited messaging. Definitely worth the switch if the $30/mo plan I'm on is still available.

Point being, I'd be tempted to get an LTE iPad just to slap the same plan on it, but only if I can manage to get a fully AWS supported model.

swm

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2013
"I think it's a healthy percentage," Legere said

not that if i'd be concerned how much profit Apple makes when any carrier sells an iPhone, but let's put that smartphone reference straight.

nowadays carriers sell only "smartphones". but what exactly makes a smartphone smart? colorful lcd, unusable built in applications and a touchscreen? yeah, and no keys. or those horrid things with slide out keyboards or touchscreens AND numeric keys, and some weirdly shaped arrow-like navigation buttons. oh, almost forgot, the gigapixel cameras.

good god, these stats are so misleading. as someone manages to put android to an underpowered hardware, it's a smartphone. it's not about how you can use it, how long you must wait when you swept through the screen, how often it hangs or crashes, how hard is it to actually hit something on that screen. and - hell yeah - boost that resolution to, say, 720p, or even higher, to make that tiny GPU struggle when refreshing the screen. cause it's all about specs, you know. how much mem, cores or mAh does your phone have, btw?

why would i care until it does what it was meant to do? until i do not have to repeat my touches and swipes, until it's responsive.

it's not that i am bashing android, it could be symbian or WP as well.
if ever apple would make the mistake to license IOS to anyone on this planet, it would be the same. they'd start to put it on everything.

it doesn't really matter how good your os is, if you have a crappy hw to run it. or the opposite: a top of the line device running an unoptimised sw.
they must match perfectly.

i can pretty much agree, that a well powered HW runs android with reasonable performance. but the 'smartphone' market is not made up from just iphone, galaxy S4 and nexus phone. there are a lot of unusable piece of crap manufactured, and actually sold to the people as smartphones. because this is what people want. or this is what they've been told.

but is it true? do everybody on planet earth need a handheld touchscreen internet device to make phone calls? or is it just the carrier who want to sell it to them, saying "Ok, buy this! well, it's not the iphone/Nexus/Galaxy4S, but it's as smart as them, and it's a lot cheaper! Look it looks really the same! it's almost as cool as them!"

can't afford it? save on the rates. buy it with prepaid subscription *without* a data plan. and the saddest thing is: they buy it.

omg, how i hate the word "smartphone"...

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
AT&T does not have reliable coverage everywhere. This is why I use both AT&T and T-Mobile. T-Mobile fills in where I can't get AT&T.

That guy thinks where he lives = the world. Can't fathom that some people like their Tmobile service over AT&T.

On the topic of the iPad, I would only get one if it had support for their AWS frequency since the 1900mhz 4G is still too spotty even in the official markets.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
That guy thinks where he lives = the world. Can't fathom that some people like their Tmobile service over AT&T.

On the topic of the iPad, I would only get one if it had support for their AWS frequency since the 1900mhz 4G is still too spotty even in the official markets.

I noticed that on my iPad with T-Mobile. It's not as reliable as say on my Nexus 4 or 7. The Mini can and will use T-mobiles LTE network if it's available but I am disappointed on how small those LTE areas are. The iPad also spends an unbelievable amount of time on edge while driving, more than my Nexus 4. I am extremely pleased that it covers my home on LTE because AT&T doesn't have LTE here yet but I drive a mile in any direction and that LTE is gone.

AT&T seems to be building up their LTE coverage here more and more but it seems that I live in a black hole that has never existed to AT&T.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
I have 4 phones on the AT&T's shared data plan. What a frickin' racket compared to T-Mobile's family plan.

Currently, I have the 4gb Shared Data plan. Their price per smartphone fee is crazy outrageous on top of their $70 4gb plan. It's $40/phone. T-Mobile is $60 for the first phone, $30 for the second and $10 for the remaining two. That gets me to $100 compared to AT&T's $230 before even paying for any data.

AT&T is illogical if you are in any sort of family plan. It's not even competitive.

We are switching as soon as I can pay the AT&T ETF.

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/family.html

I think i'm planning on selling the AT&T phone in order to get T-Mobile's full usage on their network. I have just gotten it swapped out a few weeks ago because of a faulty power button so this phone is brand spankin' new.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado

LTE coverage or lack it is going to hurt them. Last week I ordered a Nano sim for my iPad. I got it activated and was extremely pleased when LTE lit up on my iPad as soon as I put the sim in the iPad. AT&T can't even get me LTE at my house.

I then looked at their LTE coverage map and saw that the coverage in my neighborhood looked like it barely covered a mile in any direction. I went to work that night and sure enough, LTE didn't stay active very long at all.

I love T-Mobile on my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 and broke my AT&T contract several months ago to move to T-Mobile. THe service on my Nexus 7 and 4 is excellent because those devices are designed to work with their network . My iPad Mini doesn't contain all those frequencies though it does work on their LTE network, it spend a lot of time on edge when I leave my one mile LTE covered area.

Their map says Boulder and Denver have LTE. That leaves a huge area of Colorado not covered YET.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
I have 4 phones on the AT&T's shared data plan. What a frickin' racket compared to T-Mobile's family plan.

Currently, I have the 4gb Shared Data plan. Their price per smartphone fee is crazy outrageous on top of their $70 4gb plan. It's $40/phone. T-Mobile is $60 for the first phone, $30 for the second and $10 for the remaining two. That gets me to $100 compared to AT&T's $230 before even paying for any data.

AT&T is illogical if you are in any sort of family plan. It's not even competitive.

We are switching as soon as I can pay the AT&T ETF.

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/family.html

I think i'm planning on selling the AT&T phone in order to get T-Mobile's full usage on their network. I have just gotten it swapped out a few weeks ago because of a faulty power button so this phone is brand spankin' new.

I just checked the site out again.

equal plans...
mine unlimited data, txt, calls
wife, 2GB data txt calls
son, 2GB data txt, calls *** no overages, just slow you down as apposed to AT&T

total plan says 130.00. Hell, I am paying 172.00/month to AT&T with a FAN.

is this right? 42. discount with no fan or anything with T-mo? Bringing my own phones of course.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA

equal plans...
wife, 2GB data txt calls

is this right? 42. discount with no fan or anything with T-mo? Bringing my own phones of course.

That's the benefit of seperating the cost of the phone and cost of the plan.

With AT&T you're constantly paying for the phone, even after you've already paid it off.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008

equal plans...
wife, 2GB data txt calls

Yea, I don't see how it's even an option to sticking with AT&T. It would be funny if I hadn't sunk so much cash into their empire.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado

equal plans...
wife, 2GB data txt calls

The sad thing with AT&T and Verizon is that you don't even get a discount for bringing a completely paid off iPhone to them to start service. You pay the same monthly fee as someone who is on a two year contract with them.

ComSense

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Bodymore, Murderland, USA
Now give us access to the somewhat reasonable Business Line only international data roaming rates and I'll switch in a heartbeat.

We have it already. I just used it in France and Italy ($50 for 300 MB for a week -- as you said, SOMEWHAT reasonable, but it definitely beats roaming). And I'm a consumer customer. Was able to add it on from my.tmobile.com, and it worked fine.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
We have it already. I just used it in France and Italy ($50 for 300 MB for a week -- as you said, SOMEWHAT reasonable, but it definitely beats roaming). And I'm a consumer customer. Was able to add it on from my.tmobile.com, and it worked fine.

Isn't that plan only for 7 days? Not really helpful for much longer stays.

T-Mobile offers a $120 1GB plan but it's only for business users.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Isn't that plan only for 7 days? Not really helpful for much longer stays.

T-Mobile offers a $120 1GB plan but it's only for business users.

Why would they offer businesses 1GB for $120 when they can get a non business 3.5GB data plan on T-Mobile for $35?

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Love T-Mobile. Stuck with them through the years even though they didn't have the iPhone, but their service and prices are great. Can't wait to finally be able to get the iPhone; glad they're doing well.

Ive been with T-Mobile a long time(7 years i think, maybe 8). Stuck with them when they didnt have a great phone selection.
Used my iPhone 2G when they came out with the Android G1. Didnt like it then but the past three years ive been using Android and cant go back to an iPhone even if it is on TMobile now.
Nice to see them taking these big steps and gaining customers and being a player in this game. Best prices easily of any of the carriers.

Im on a value plan but will soon go to Jump and take advantage of that. The $10 a month to have Jump includes insurance on the phone.

Last edited:

pweicks

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2016
USA
Tim Cook said that America doesn't have people who have the same vocational skills as people in China. So I guess that Americans don't know how to put a sticker on, and a screw into, an iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.