Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Ok, so I am faced with a dilemma, I have this system that allows me to upgrade all my devices for a very low cost for all of them, previously, I had 2 iPhone 5's, an iPad Mini and a 4th Generation iPad. Over the summer, I switched the iPad Mini out for an 11 inch MacBook Air. Now with the 5S coming out, as well as the second Generation Mini, I am faced with a dilemma. Should I buy the second iPhone this year (off contract by the way) or switch back over to the iPad Mini. The Two theoretical Setups are

v1:
iPhone 5S x2
iPad 5th Generation
MacBook Air 11 inch 2013
MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch
$268 Total

v2:
iPhone 5S
iPad Mini 2nd Generation
iPad 5th Generation
MacBook Air 11 inch 2013
-$53 Total

Having the two phones is actually convenient, it allows me to have both colors of the phone, plus, if I run one of the batteries down, I can always rely on the other one. It comes in even more handy when the iOS betas come out, because if something stops working on one phone, odds are it would work on the other one. Oh, and I can multitask with tethering on AT&T

Having the Mini back before June was also convenient, I found it collecting dust when I don't have my jacket on(as it is the only iPad that fits in my jacket pocket), or when I don't leave the house because I prefer to use the full size iPad at home(this may change with the second generation if it has Retina). However, with it about to get colder again, I will end up having the jacket with the pocket that will fit the Mini again

Last edited:

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Seems like the 2 iPhone's worked out better for you, so why not stick with that. You stated in your post that the iPad Mine started collecting dust. Sure wish I was stuck with your dilemma though. You are very lucky to have such choices at such a low cost. Good luck with whatever path you finally choose.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Seems like the 2 iPhone's worked out better for you, so why not stick with that. You stated in your post that the iPad Mine started collecting dust. Sure wish I was stuck with your dilemma though. You are very lucky to have such choices at such a low cost. Good luck with whatever path you finally choose.

The Mini was only starting to collect dust in the summer time, I will start wearing my coat again until about April starting probably next month. With the iPad Mini (last year) I had an iPad with me everywhere

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Yeah but your still only using the mini half or a little more in the calendar year. It does give you a greater variety of screen sizes though. But then the phones can be used year round. And if you are using both phones year round, then at least you are getting more use out of all your products. You are not going to lose no matter which choice you go with, one way you save hundred bucks.

I personally would go with the Mini as I would get more use that way. But that is me.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Yeah but your still only using the mini half or a little more in the calendar year. It does give you a greater variety of screen sizes though. But then the phones can be used year round. And if you are using both phones year round, then at least you are getting more use out of all your products. You are not going to lose no matter which choice you go with, one way you save hundred bucks.

I personally would go with the Mini as I would get more use that way. But that is me.

At all times, one of the phones will not be on AT&T, so only one phone will work at once

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
You didn't really answer my question, do you mind answering it?

Lol sorry, I would go with second setup I don't see why you would need 2 phones even though I see the benefits you listed. Carry phone for calls and quick lookups but if your gonna sit and relax (maybe do some work) pull out the mini.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Lol sorry, I would go with second setup I don't see why you would need 2 phones even though I see the benefits you listed. Carry phone for calls and quick lookups but if your gonna sit and relax (maybe do some work) pull out the mini.
I think I am starting to lean towards the Mini, however, I will miss the ability to have two phones, but the second setup gives me:
One more screen size to work with (hopefully it will be retina because I just loaded iOS 7 on the Mini my brother now has, which used to be mine, and it doesnt look great compared to retina devices)
More product diversity (iPad and iPad Mini are different products, 2 iPhone 5's are the same)
And, its cheaper, especially as it starts adding up, I would have to keep buying one phone at $750 each year, the other one at $500 and this year I did have a little extra put into the system to get such a low price point, that might not hold true next year and it will cost more)

I think the main thing for me with having the two phones is not deciding on a color, but I probably would just go back to the way it was before I had two phones, the 64GB Black.

that right,one of the phones will not be on AT&T, so only one phone will work at once.Image
So based on that you recommend...

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
After going back over my calculations again, I realized I had made a pretty big mistake:
v1:
iPhone 5S x2
iPad 5th Generation
MacBook Air 11 inch 2013
$268 Total

v2:
iPhone 5S
iPad Mini 2nd Generation
iPad 5th Generation
MacBook Air 11 inch 2013
-$53 Total

These are the new totals, as you can see, there is a $321 difference between the two different scenarios.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.