Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexrmc92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
I've been working a project involving a few PowerMac G5 Quads. Unfortunately I always like to get a deal so i buy slightly beat up towers that are missing hard drives, RAM, or god knows what.

I want to make these things look near pristine so i'll need to find some cases. My question is do all G5 power macs share the same case layout? Or is there a difference between the MP and FX G5 cases?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
This may be useful as it explains the variation between the revisions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Mac_G5 I want to say the cases, for the most part, stayed the same but it appears expansion slots could have changed. I don't know if the rear changed to accommodate the varied expansion slots.

MacMadness

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2013
Dallas TX
MP cases have different port, standoffs (IIRC) and AP antenna layout than 970 and 970FX ones. You can't use any earlier case for Late 2005.

Just compared the back of my PCI-X dual 2.0Ghz and Quad-Core 2.5Ghz.

The port configurations are completely different (in arrangement and Quad has 3 USB and 2 FW800 ports compared to 2 and 1. Quad also has a long vertical embedded plastic strip as well that is not present on older machine.

Hope that is helpful.

Sepultura

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
Just FYI, that plastic strip is the Airport/Bluetooth Antenna cover. Before that, there were two ports for external antennas.
That's right.

This is what it looked like on the other model.

4262788855_83aef23af4_z.jpg

MacMadness

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2013
Dallas TX
Just FYI, that plastic strip is the Airport/Bluetooth Antenna cover. Before that, there were two ports for external antennas.

That's right.

This is what it looked like on the other model.

Thanks for embellishing with specifics fellas.

I don't use airport myself, and just climbed under the desk
and compared the G5's visually.
Now I know what the gray plastic hoo-ha thingy is. (technically speaking):D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.