Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
You NEVER have even 2x the performance with doubled cores.
In fact, per core you gain in best case about 95% speed.
As more cores you have you have more management.
Beides management overhead, you only have a specific memory bandwidth. As more cores you have, as longer each core has to wait to get the data.

That means in some situations it is even worse having more cores than less cores.

Are you kidding? A lot of the apps I use scale *exponentially* with added cores... 2x would be terrible performance for a lot of them if I doubled the cores...

(I'm not saying it's a common case mind you, but I did specifically talk about MD sims in the post you replied to)

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
How were they able to run benchmarks on a computer that hasn't been released? Secondly, Mavericks is still in Beta, I would never rely on Beta benchmarks on hardware that wasn't released. Not to be weird, but I would wait until the final release.

Go back and read again.....

This isn't on a Mac Pro and it isn't even running 10.9. This is just on the processor expected to be in the MP.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
The reason i can see why Apple decided not to use 2 processors is that it generates a LOT more heat, requires a bigger power supply, more cooling, and that costs MONEY. The amount of speed increase in a MP version isn't 2x, plus they have to add more room for RAM, which requires MORE space, bigger Power Supply, more cooling, etc. and costs more. Most MP systems get a marginal speed improvement and the ROI just isn't that great. Most of the high end apps that are going to be used on these systems are more GPU intensive and you probably won't see that much improvement in having multiple CPUs.

If Apple can get MP to the point where it's cost effective and enough people will see enough speed improvement, then maybe they'll do that, but MP for workstations in a lot of ways is not exactly getting the best ROI for what it costs for a marginal increase in speed if most apps don't even use MP.

I think they are putting the expense into faster SSD, 2 GPUs instead. Again, I'm just speculating what Apple's decision making process of why they decided not to deploy MP.

What applications are you using or plan on using that requires more CPU than GPU that would need a second CPU? I'm just curious.

HP had 16 core machines launching back when Apple was launching the outdated 2012 Pro model. If they could figure out the heat issue than Apple could too.

----------

What applications are you using or plan on using that requires more CPU than GPU that would need a second CPU? I'm just curious.

Net Render

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
No one knows if there is only one configuration.

There will certainly be more than one model configuration, but I think we can say with a high degree of certainty that there will be no dual cpu option.

That or, they configure two 6-core CPUs in there.

Highly unlikely. Have you seen the pictures? There's no room for a dual configuration. Seeing as there are 12 core Xeons this time around, logic would dictate they are what's going to be used.

Haters don't care about facts anyway, so they will still continue to babble nonsense. Meanwhile Apple is creating the fastest Mac ever.

Not a hater here. I'm taking a wait and see approach on the new Mac Pro. But that statement means nothing. Every new model is the "fastest ever." And that really wasn't a hard goal considering they're upgrading from 2 year old hardware. The fact is that the PC counterparts will be offering "faster" alternatives.

I think the point is that with OpenCL you can get your rendering/compiling/ect. performance from "graphics" card in a more 'bang for your buck/size/thermal/power package.

That's exactly what they're going for. However, that also depends largely on the software developers. It would have been nice if they offered an Nvidia option from the jump.

Bring on the 4k thuderbolt display!

I hope they also release a consumer handheld 4k camera so people can shoot some home movies for it.

lol at everyone who would say it's pointless because movies and tv shows aren't 4k yet.

4K is definitely coming. It's still overrated though.

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
People still miss the forest for the trees: the Mac Pro is designed for the future, not the past, and gets much of its performance from the extra GPU. Luckily, I'm buying for the future too!

And that SSD!
The problem with a lot of Apple's products that are "designed for the future" is that by the time that future gets here, they will be woefully outdated.
The original MacBook Air was clearly designed to be the future of notebooks, but it is only this year's model with the Haswell chips that they have managed to put together a system which has good battery life, reasonable performance, and good connectivity.
The Retina iPad was pushed out the gate to stick to their schedule, even though the hardware to drive the display properly wasn't available, and they were replaced in 6 months.
The Retina MacBook Pros were pushed out before they had the hardware to drive the displays properly.

The new Mac Pro manages to best a system that was years out of date when it was new - what a feat!
Admittedly, it's doing this with a single CPU rather than two now, but that means it's now woefully under-powered compared to the dual CPU class systems it is supposed to be competing with.

Focusing on GPU compute is a nice idea in theory, but there's not much that currently takes advantage of it. By the time it makes sense to have a dual GPU setup for compute, the upcoming Mac Pro will be underpowered - and you can't upgrade the graphics cards, because they aren't using standard PCI-E slots, and Thunderbolt is far too slow.

And for that matter, it's nice that they are using PCI-E SSDs to bypass the limitations of SATA3, but your storage expansion is severely limited now that you have to rely on external drives. Decent Thunderbolt enclosures are still very expensive, and to have say 16TB of storage now means that I require a second tower the same size as the Mac Pro itself, rather than it being contained inside a single unit - and the previous Mac Pro tower design was already rather limited for expansion compared to similar size PC towers.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
4K is definitely coming. It's still overrated though.

No way is it overrated. DCI 4K uses JPEG2000 video compression, 12-bit 4:4:4 video, up to 250Mbps video bitrate, and a much wider color gamut. It's amazing.

Now if you're talking UHD, then the difference is more subtle. But a doubling of vertical resolution increase of the chroma resolution will make even 8 bit color video (Not sure what the final color bit spec for it is...) look much better on lots of program material types, so I say bring it on!

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Wait, a question... why would you ever run a process with just a single thread? (Like encoding music)

R2D2 xx

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
Now if only Apple would put TWO of these in the new Mac Pro, instead of only offering a single socket configuration...

Exactly. I don't mind paying more but I want as much horsepower possible. I guess beauty is more important to Apple than the beast.

----------

...MacPro, new car, MacPro, new car, MacPro, new car, MacPro, new car, MacPro, new car, MacPro, new car.........:D

How about:

Mac Pro + New Car = Get another job!

----------

Folks, if you actually need 24 cores, then you probably know what a "render farm" is or you are capable of writing software to parcel out your complex task to more than one Mac Pro on a 10gbps LAN. MapReduce, anyone?

Or is there really an application for 24-cores in a workstation?

So it sounds like what you're really asking for is a cut-down Mac Pro with no GPUs and a Thunderbolt-to-10GigE adapter. Because I'm guessing that, aside from the GPUs, the 12-core CPU is the main cost in the machine--so why not just buy more than one whole machine? Although, an array of whitebox Linux servers will probably fill out the farm more economically.

I need something to render my videos without it taking too long. While rendering, I have to use another machine.

If the new Mac Pro would have 2x CPU, this would really help speed the rendering time.

Actually, it would be cool if we could connect 2x Mac Pro for 2x the performance. But Adobe Premiere wouldn't be able to use it.

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
It's really annoying to have a really powerful Mac Pro bottlenecked when you press "open with..." on something and have to wait for an external hard drive to wake up while Finder hangs.

Edit: I know that you can disable hard drive sleep but don't want to have them always awake, and I have already excluded them from Spotlight search.

I'm confused. Why would an app reside on an external HDD and not the internal SSD?

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
No one knows if there is only one configuration.

There will definitely be more than one, but apple has shown the guts of the machine and it's definitely single socket.

you probably know what a "render farm" is...

Not an option for real time apps like Logic.

Apple only gave us a peek at their BASE MODEL.

I'm not sure if this is serious or a joke. Of course 12 cores will be the high end and not the low.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Now if only Apple would put TWO of these in the new Mac Pro, instead of only offering a single socket configuration...

Because intel charges crazy money for not much more performance. What they DIDN'T SHOW on their graphs was the COST of the Xeon chips vs the i7. Intel charges WAY more for the slower Xeon, and about TRIPPLE for the motherboard hardware to hold it.

Complain about Apple all you want, but Intel is the one dragging feet here. They haven't releases useful new Xeon chips in years, to the point the mobile i7 chips are "almost" as good for regular users. All you really gain using Xeon is the high-end interfaces... The wide PCIE and PCIX busses, access to multiple Gigabit nics, support for Fibre Channel and SCSI RAID boards, support for large memory sets... All stuff that intel demands crazy premium prices just to SUPPORT, so you can pay EXTRA for all the Add-on cards that are $500+ each.

Apple's Mac Pro woes are more about how Intel protects their expensive server business by preventing "desktop" chips that are faster from access to the high-end IO cards and power management needed to be "real servers". It's remote power tools, lights out management, BIOS for RAID cards, etc that Intel has pulled the wiring right out of the i7 chips for, and forbids cheap manufactures from adding back in. Without that stuff, your super fast gaming box is just a shiny toy to somebody building a data center. Or the difference between a zippy sports car and semi truck for moving stuff down the information super highway.

Last edited:

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012

That's exactly what they're going for (GPGPU of some type)*. However, that also depends largely on the software developers. It would have been nice if they offered an Nvidia option from the jump.

* my note -- referencing one comment higher in the thread.

The question cuts both ways. Software developers have to code for GPU processing but don't they also have to code to take advantage of multiple CPU's? Maybe Apple feels the tools are getting better to go the GPU route instead of the multiple CPU route.

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
You can set external drives to not sleep in system prefs.

Doesn't work for a lot of externals because the sleep function is controlled by the drive's firmware. The only workaround is to install a small script that constantly pings the drive to keep it active.

For video, external drives can be a nightmare.

But, hey, the Mac will be smaller and look cool!

Thunderbolt

What difference will that make? If the drive is asleep, who cares how it's connected.

Do external hard drives take longer to wake up than internal hard drives?

Or, are you OK with having a hard drive "always awake" but only when it's internal?

It's about spinning down constantly. You won't understand the problem if you don't demand sustained performance from drives. If you're just editing photos or storing movies and music, you'll never have a problem and I'm happy for you. But I need more.

Last edited:

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Not the point. If it's external, it's got an external controller. Do you really not know that?

Yes, but you didn't give any reasonable argument why that would be a problem, or any hint that is where you imagined the problem was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.