Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
Have this one, after returning the 4 port one from Anker. Thinks it matches the macs the best.

Attachments

• 7_port_usb_hub_white_nocables_angle_2_web.jpg
    7_port_usb_hub_white_nocables_angle_2_web.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,328

Nigel123

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
So I've been browsing the archives of the internet for USB 3.0 hubs for my iMac, and I really haven't seen a definitive answer (well for my interests anyway).

I have many hard drives I'm wanting to connect to the hub - mainly just 500GB, 1TB, or 2TB drives. All bus powered when connected directly to the iMac.

What, in you honest opinion, is the best hub for me?

I've seen the Anker 10 port but that seems to be discontinued. I like the look of that too.

But appearance isn't a deciding factor - i'll most likely be hidden :)

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Many here have had good luck with the plugable brand, they offer a 7 port. I've used three HDs connected to a Belkin 4 port sold at Mac Stores (and others) for several months without issue until it crapped out.

It seems like there are some hard drives that just don't like hubs regardless.

Nigel123

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
that brand I never saw before. I like the 9+ feet of AC cord :) makes my work less hassling!

viggen61

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
New Jersey
Anyone located a 3.0 hub that consistently performs as expected?

I've been running the Belkin almost a year now, and not a trouble to be had. It permanently occupies the right USB port on my rMBP, and has a USB 3 CF reader, a USB 3 HDD, and several USB 2 devices connected via a USB 2 hub. Everything works as it should.

My only complaint is I wish it could handle either charging my iPad, or powering the Apple USB optical drive. I end up swapping those in & out of the left port...

:apple::apple:

tangfj

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2008
I got this one made by Anker from Amazon... It doesn't appear to be available anymore on Amazon's website so not sure who you'd be able to get it from anymore.

31L1pddGmIL._SL500_.jpg

It was sold as "[Apple Style Aluminum 10 Port Hub] Anker® Uspeed USB 3.0 10 Port Hub with 12V 4A Power Adapter and 1M USB 3.0 Cable, Compatible with Windows XP / Vis"... So far it's worked great for me and matches really nicely with Apple products.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
I also have the belkin one it works good....Had to return some other garbage one before that........but it only has 4 ports....now I am looking for more like 12......anyone know of something with 12??

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I also have the belkin one it works good....Had to return some other garbage one before that........but it only has 4 ports....now I am looking for more like 12......anyone know of something with 12??

Don't know of any off hand.

Currently USB 3.0 chips come with four ports, to make a 7 port hub they glue two chips onto a board and daisy change one port of the first chip to the host port of the other. For some time you will see reports that drives work best on three of the seven ports, the reason is nuances of daisy chaining. I think I've seen some 10 ports where the glue three chips on a board, connect the host to the first chip and the other two chip's host ports to the first chip. You get a total of 10. Adding another chip would give you 13 user ports. I don't think you will see these until someone makes an 8 port or so chip...

a.coward

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2010

I saw this 13 port hub on newegg.com:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817364039

No reviews yet, and there is no indication as to what the power rating of
the hub is (which, in my opinion, may be important given the large number
of ports). It's also quite expensive.

Ritte

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
If you have a dell monitor with usb 3, use it. It works very well for me with u2713hm (4 usb 3.0 ports).

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
If you have a dell monitor with usb 3, use it. It works very well for me with u2713hm (4 usb 3.0 ports).

Do you have any hard drives attached? Reliable hard drive connections and sleep issues is what we see with MACs.

Ritte

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Do you have any hard drives attached? Reliable hard drive connections and sleep issues is what we see with MACs.

1TB WD my passport 3.0, never disconnects. What kind of sleep issues? Computer not going to sleep or waking issues? I have none.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
I'm using Anker Uspeed USB 3.0. Small, compact, good performance... just look at the reviews on Amazon you will see.

I used this and had to return it. Wasn't 100% compatible with my setup (late 2012 imac, 16gb ram). Lots of lag when using mouse; often had to restart the mouse to make it work again. Typically only minutes apart. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.