Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBook or iMac

• iMac

Votes: 29 72.5%
  • MacBook Pro

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters

AppleTecFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
N/A
I currently have a 2012 15" MacBook Pro(with specs listed below) and a offer has arised. I have been offered a trade for a 2011 27" iMac

With the following specs Core i7, AMD 6970M w/ 2GB GDDR5, 1TB HD.

My MacBook is almost always stationary and I almost never take it out, I mainly game in Windows; would this trade be worth it?

Another question is there any heating issues with iMacs? the main issue is when I use my MacBook it becomes very hot during extended gaming sessions, where its too hot to touch (could be related to hot weather conditions at the moment)

Last edited:

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
My MacBook is almost always stationary and I almost never take it out, I mainly game in Windows; would this trade be worth it?

An iMac would be an upgrade then. My question, is do you trust the person you're trading with. Who initiated the trade?

Don't worry about overheating, it's such a pink elephant (i.e. people think it exists but it doesn't).

AppleTecFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
N/A
An iMac would be an upgrade then. My question, is do you trust the person you're trading with. Who initiated the trade?

Don't worry about overheating, it's such a pink elephant (i.e. people think it exists but it doesn't).

But wont heat affect the components over time for both the MacBook and the iMac

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
It sounds from your pattern of usage that a desktop would suit you better, and that is a pretty high spec iMac...If it were me and I had to choose I'd opt for the deal...just make sure you check the Imac out prior to committing to the deal.

AppleTecFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
N/A
It sounds from your pattern of usage that a desktop would suit you better, and that is a pretty high spec iMac...If it were me and I had to choose I'd opt for the deal...just make sure you check the Imac out prior to committing to the deal.

Its alot better than my MacBook, correct?

Rian Gray

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
NJ, United States
I suppose it would highly depend on your needs.
-If you wish to have a computer that can handle most of your works on a desk, then go for iMac.
- If you wish to have a computer that can be used anywhere, then go for MBP.

I have MBP 17" and planning to move on to iMac 27". I'm simply getting tired of connecting all the stuffs to my laptop every time I setup my workstation. It looks horrible to have all the cables lying around. Especially with the new Thunderbolt docks and accessories, it's simply getting worse.

The reason why I chose MBP over iMac was that I move around frequently. I was and still is a frequent flyer. I have to pack all my stuffs every 3 months, and I kept my fingers crossed hoping MBP 17" can handle everything without all these external accessories. WRONG. The single biggest problem with MBP is that it overheats, almost sounds like plane taking off 3 feet away from me.

So again, I'd say it will depend on your needs. Specs will be almost the same, –MBP and iMac both use laptop parts– only physical difference will be: cords, screen, noise, and portability.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
But wont heat affect the components over time for both the MacBook and the iMac

If there was ever a heat problem, there would be a recall. I believe the last Apple recall was for the PowerBook 1400 or the 3400 back in 1998-ish. Sure, lemons happen but it really isn't something that anyone should be that concerned about.

AppleTecFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
N/A
If there was ever a heat problem, there would be a recall. I believe the last Apple recall was for the PowerBook 1400 or the 3400 back in 1998-ish. Sure, lemons happen but it really isn't something that anyone should be that concerned about.

So if I ramp up the CPU and GPU daily it will be fine for the years to come, for any computer :p

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
If you're certain that you won't miss the portability, then do it. That is a very good trade.
If you need portability without power, then an iPad is a perfect option and certainly not as expensive as a laptop.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
I would really love some responses here, instead of votes

I want a discussion

You might not make it a poll then :)

Looking at benchmarks it looks like for general use the MBP might be a bit faster while for gaming you'll be a bit faster on the iMac. It's not a huge difference either way at a glance, though if you're doing a lot of gaming the larger screen area might be nice.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
So if I ramp up the CPU and GPU daily it will be fine for the years to come, for any computer :p

Yes. Generally the first thing to go on a computer is the hard drive, and sometimes the RAM.

The only time I'd suggest that you're overheating is if a computer keeps randomly shutting off and/or Kernel panics occur over and over again. THEN you have a problem.

I've had my iMac on everyday for the past 6 years. It's fine.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
The heat problem was with the imac G5s. I have one that I'm going to replace the logic board on to play with some OS9 software.

Montymitch

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
I'll chime in. I recently upgraded from a 2010 iMac to a 2012, both base model 27". The old one got hot regularly, I run Aperture, Photoshop CS3 and Handbrake regularly. The new machine has never been anything more than cool to the touch.
My 2008 Macbook gets pretty damn hot doing just about anything.

AppleTecFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
N/A
I'll chime in. I recently upgraded from a 2010 iMac to a 2012, both base model 27". The old one got hot regularly, I run Aperture, Photoshop CS3 and Handbrake regularly. The new machine has never been anything more than cool to the touch.
My 2008 Macbook gets pretty damn hot doing just about anything.

The 2011 iMac and the 2012 iMac differ in design, it may be a difference experience on the 2011 iMac

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009

That's the exact thing I just did last month. 2010 to a brand new model and no matter what I do it doesn't get hot.

yliu

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
If I'm correct, the MBP has a GT650 right?

The iMac will probably be faster than the MBP in both GPU and CPU. However, you are losing portability.

If you are sure that you are not going to use your computer anywhere else other than your desktop, then go for the iMac.

As for heat, I never heard my iMac's fans get loud. iStat shows ~60 degrees while gaming. My rMBP has temperatures around 60-70 degrees too, however the fans do kick in. I'm assuming that the threshold should be around that area too.

Last edited:

AppleTecFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
N/A
If I'm correct, the MBP has a GT650 right?

The iMac will probably be faster than the MBP in both GPU and CPU. However, you are losing portability.

If you are sure that you are not going to use your computer anywhere else other than your desktop, then go for the iMac.

As for heat, I never heard my iMac's fans get loud. iStat shows ~60 degrees while gaming. My rMBP has temperatures around 60-70 degrees too, however the fans do kick in. I'm assuming that the threshold should be around that area too.
Yes it has the 650M, I really think I could be fine; my only knock is that I gaming events with the iMac. Also I am currently a student and would my iPad be able to carry me through the year

Yeswecanagain74

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2012
I think the best option is a New MBP and the Apple Cinema Display. Then you have a 27 in display and portability if needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.