Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you like a MacRumors iPhone App?

• Yes, that would be great!

Votes: 130 82.8%
  • No, what's the point/I like mobile Safari better

Votes: 27 17.2%

• Total voters

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Let's see, in the time since Arn started on this app:

- I've had two children
- My youngest has started school
- Duke Nukem Forever has come out.
- iPhone came out and is now about to release it's 6th generation
- Apple has gone from a tiny tech company to the world's biggest company
- Facebook went from less than 100 million users to a global Goliath.
- Microsoft has gone from 95% market share to less than 50%
- USA is still in the middle of losing a war in Afghanistan and Iraq (some things never change)

I love you Arn, but you know, let it go :) The boat has been well and truly missed, the train has gone, the stable door has rusted off its hinges.

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
I love you Arn, but you know, let it go :) The boat has been well and truly missed, the train has gone, the stable door has rusted off its hinges.
We're going to keep pulling the string on this one and see where it leads us. It's an area of intense interest.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It can't be that intense as everyone gave up hope as it has been 3 years already.

Just like the Apple television.

Yes, things have been slow (an understatement, I know), and issues with the AppShopper app have somewhat damped enthusiasm for our app projects at times. Completely reworking that app also took away significant time that we might have otherwise used toward a MacRumors app.

But yes, things are actually moving forward a bit now. Not going to promise a launch date or anything, as there's still much to be done, but progress is being made.

We're going to keep pulling the string on this one and see where it leads us. It's an area of intense interest.

Just like the Apple television.

Yes, things have been slow (an understatement, I know), and issues with the AppShopper app have somewhat damped enthusiasm for our app projects at times. Completely reworking that app also took away significant time that we might have otherwise used toward a MacRumors app.

But yes, things are actually moving forward a bit now. Not going to promise a launch date or anything, as there's still much to be done, but progress is being made.

The way I see it you've created 2 problems

1) Lost the enthusiasm with apps. The app store has been out for 5 years. That is a long time for missed potential. People are kinda getting over the idea of a MR app.

2) Created higher expectations. It's like the idea that Apple may take a while to update things, but they do it right/best. It'd be like if Apple created an iTV next year, but all they did was stick the Apple TV guts into a fancy looking TV. We would all wonder why Apple didn't do it years ago and would complain about how crappy it is.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Can't argue with that, but we can't go back in time and prioritize it at this point. :)

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
Macrumors Mobile App

Macrumors should have an app with tabs like "Front Page" "Mac Blog" "iOS Blog" etc basically just like the website but without having to load it in safari because that is annoying.

renfro16

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2013
Arkansas
Mac Rumors App?

Do you think Mac Rumors should have an app? I do! I'm tired of going to Safari for all my MR needs. It needs to happen. It's been too long without it. What do you think?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
For me the biggest plus would be the "in-app purchasing" for Demi-ship. I don't like PayPal and no CC payment for MR. Ok, Apple would get its cut but nevertheless it would be great .

Please, Arn, please ... :)

Appler4

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
Why doesn't macrumors have an app yet?

I'm really tired of pinching and zooming on my phone. And the mobile web app won't work for me. Why don't they have an app?

Becact

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2013
I'm really tired of pinching and zooming on my phone. And the mobile web app won't work for me. Why don't they have an app?

Ugh no thanks. I HATE when a forum sends a popup asking if I want to install the forum app EVERY time I visit the forum. Tap to zoom is perfectly fine, and the functionality of Safari is great, IMHO.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Even though I don't personally own any iOS devices, I must say, it is a question I ponder myself sometimes. Unless Apple has some reason why such an app cannot be allowed in their store, I don't see why we've gone five years being "app-less". :p

Strax

macrumors member
May 4, 2013
If all you need is an app to access the forum, is there any reason you don't just use Tapatalk? It's free and the forum is Tapatalk enabled.

MacMilligan

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
A responsive website would be better IMO. The days of site specific apps are going away (thank god) in lieu of responsive designs.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
The Mobile version of the site works fine for me when Im accessinng it from my iPad. Thats good enough. Apps are gerat and all but if theres no need to install an app and use space for no real reason then why bother? Its when the mobile site doesnt work that theres a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.