Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lynx44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
first off hi to everyone i'm new to the forum. well I got a 2008 unibody macbook and it stopped working and the light on the charger does not come on. so I opened the computer up and looked around. I did not see anything that looked bad but when I put my hand on the motherboard I got burnt on a chip. now my question is what is this chip? it says 8904c-f delta 0913 its a little black chip near the power jack. and does this sound like whats causing my problem?

lynx44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
I will get a pic as soon as I take one. I was on the computer I smelled something burning and the computer went out. just my luck. but where I work I am able to change the chip and I think they are very cheap to buy.

lynx44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
OK finding this chip is harder then I thought. And I do not want to go through a broker. If anybody has a bad motherboard with this chip on it and want to sell it let me know.

Ichabod.

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
I have a 2008 unibody MB and I seem to have a similar issue as you with the charge cable light not coming on (and some other minor logic board issues). But the computer still charges properly.

I investigated buying a motherboard on ebay / ifixit / etc. They seem to cost around $400, but I can't really justify spending that. :(

Edit: I suppose you could buy a broken mother board on ebay or whatever site for considerably less and take a chance at replacing the chip itself, depending on how skilled you are.

Last edited:

mr_manny

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2022
I was replacing the internal HHD on my macbook pro, and also found a burnt 8904C-F chip.
Only by reviewing another macbook pro, was I able to identify the burnt chip.
Is anyone familiar with the function of this chip?

It doesn't appear to affect the functionality of the MBpro.
Wondering If I should have it repaired...

Attachments

• chip.jpg
    chip.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 149

jim_090

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2022
The chip is to optimize efficiency and power consumption of the device during playback, stereo ground-referenced headphone amplifiers are used using Wolfson 'Class W' amplifier technologies. Toutes of the outputs feature ground-referenced feedback paths to reduce ground noise, and the headphone output eliminates AC coupling capacitors.:)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.