Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Anyone here looking to get BF4? Thinking of maybe meeting up together in Teamspeak or whatnot and kicking some butt.

What are you guys looking forward to most in the new Battlefield?

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
lets hope will make it for MAC OS too

I doubt many current Macs could handle it above low or medium graphical settings. With BF4, we'd miss out on the photo-realism and special effects particles.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
the new macbook pro retina if it will have 760M can handle at medium settings
the iMacs refresh can do as well so already 3 macs

macgames

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2012
I know lots of people would love to see it on Mac, but it will be tough to do it well & it would probably only work on the very latest macs at the time of release which would of course be a massive limiting factor.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I'll consider BF4 if and when they release a quality OS X version of the game. I hope they might do that. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

pppppenguin

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2009
I have the PC for this one also. I would agree with the above that medium settings on a retina mbp 15 might even be pushing it. Even if we had 2GB VRAM the 650 o/c'd core just isn't going to be up to it in my opinion

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I'll consider BF4 if and when they release a quality OS X version of the game. I hope they might do that. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Huge fan of the BF series, and played every PC title that was released. If I could, I would've bought a gaming-spec machine just for BF4. At the moment I can only hope to see an OSX version.

I don't think DICE may ever do that. Maybe another company may make a port for it, but I don't see any value in making a version for OSX. I only use my PC for BF4 and the best thing about that is upgrading the internals which you really cannot do on Mac anymore besides the Mac Pro, maybe.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Yes I'm aware of that posting a while ago. That's why I said "may." Considering the amount of resources BF uses on a computer, the level of quality on an OSX version might be less than that of a PC. I hope I'm wrong though because then I don't have to have two machines!

I would expect quality/detail settings to be scalable on OS X just as they are on Windows. I'm sure not all Windows users run BF3 currently on max everything. I personally don't see that this has to be assumed to be a problem.

And I'd be inclined to think recruiting for a position on a "team" means they already have people working on this so it seems a lot more likely they may do it than they may not.

I would also venture a guess that EA did not produce an Origin client for OS X just to sell The Sims and its many expansions. I expect they plan to release more EA titles for Mac as well and Simcity is probably just the start of that.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I would expect quality/detail settings to be scalable on OS X just as they are on Windows. I'm sure not all Windows users run BF3 currently on max everything. I personally don't see that this has to be assumed to be a problem.

And I'd be inclined to think recruiting for a position on a "team" means they already have people working on this so it seems a lot more likely they may do it than they may not.

I'm wondering if cross platform play with PC users will happen. I just hope they won't scale it back like they do on consoles currently where the maps are smaller and a lower maximum player count.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
They have to release it even for MacOS. Already the iMac 27" with 675M for medium+high settings+680MX with high details+rMBP with medium details+the upcoming models of imac and mac pro. So already a heavy number of mac can handle BF3 and 4 to consider to make it for maveriks OpenGL 4.1

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
The 2012 maxed GPU iMac will play bf3, and bf4 is just a updated engine with barely any differences. Should run fine. The new Mac pros will also be able to run it. Laptops will have some difficulty but they could just lower the settings. Same with the mac mini. A good chunk of macs that might have hiccups but still I think it should be ported next year. Late next year.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
The 2012 maxed GPU iMac will play bf3, and bf4 is just a updated engine with barely any differences. Should run fine. The new Mac pros will also be able to run it. Laptops will have some difficulty but they could just lower the settings. Same with the mac mini. A good chunk of macs that might have hiccups but still I think it should be ported next year. Late next year.

Maybe they'll port it for the next release. With all these next gen consoles and a new frostbite engine, maybe there's just too much on the plate now.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Battlefield 4 Finalized PC Requirements

bf4_sysreq.png

I should be set when BF4 comes out. I get my IB-e i7 4930k hexa-core in a few days, and should go nicely with my RIVE mobo and 3 GTX 780's in tri-sli.:)

I just hope it supports triple monitor resolution and plays well in widescreen. Once you play games in tri-surround monitors... it's hard to enjoy games on a single monitor.

Jani81

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2013
Finland
I have played BF3 with all graphics maxed out and 2560*1440 resolution and it works very smooth. I hope my Mac Pro can handle BF4 too with same settings :)

Red Cube

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2013
Iowa
Should I get (another) copy of Windows 7 just so I can play this game?
Why can't product keys work more than once? Why not twice?

seekere

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2013
you guys think a retina 15' macbook pro would be able to handle BF4 well? I know running on crazy high settings is hard on any computer, but I don't need that

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Beta is out for Battlefield 3 Premium members and Pre-orderers.

My first impressions.

• Ridicolous CPU usage, tops out at 102% at one point
  • Random FPS spikes

Granted it's a beta and a few quirks are to be expected. Also, the boat spawn in the map can become glitchy and it will randomly drop from the sky. Took one chopper down during its spawn frenzy once. :p

Icekill

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2011
Spain
Tried it yesterday on a late 2012 27" Imac, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16GB Ram and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB Graphics card.

Resolution 1920x1080

On high settings, the frame rate is not constant and get some spikes, on medium it plays perfectly and looks awesome.

I read everywhere that the beta optimisation is very poor, and everybody is having frame rate issues, so maybe we will even be able to run it on high once the game is optimised and released.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.