Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Hi guys,

I wasn't sure where this should go, so ill just post it here. I have an iPad and I love it, but I also have a MacBook Pro that I wouldn't trade for anything. So this question isn't for me, but I was just thinking about the claims that the iPad would "cannablize" Mac sales and I got to thinking....

I don't count the iMac, since the user should know if they want portability so I was wondering: which MacBook line is more threatened by the iPad for the average consumer? My initial thought was the MacBook Air since it is the lower powered consumer portable, but then I began to think that since it is so thin and light (and traditional) that's many may choose it over an iPad. So would the heavier and overpowered (for the causal user) MacBook Pro be the one threatened?

What do you think? My mind just wanders sometimes.....:D

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
I'd say it threatens the "whichever is cheapest" MacBook. My mom needed a new Mac but got by with just her iPad for a long time. She probably uses 10% of the power of any current Mac.

Jesla

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2013
Tennessee USA
I'd say none, an iPad is not a Notebook, it's a Pad.

I have a MBA, MBP, iMac, iPad 4th gen and a mini. The Pads could never replace a 'real' computer for me. Not even the MBA…...

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'd say none, an iPad is not a Notebook, it's a Pad.

Thanks for the quick feedback. Not to be rude, but I don't agree with this for the average consumer. I agree completely for myself and for anyone that needs the demands for school or content creation, but the average consumer that spends time with emails and web surfing may only need a tablet.

I'm not trying to underestimate the "average consumer," which Apple has done in the past, but I know many people with full computers that check Yahoo news and thats about it...

Jesla

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2013
Tennessee USA
If you need the ability to multi-task or write rather long papers for school or work, Pads are a poor choice.

My guess, is that most people have Pads to supplement their desktop or laptop, not replace it.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
I think it most threatens the low end macbook air if all you are going to do is web browsing, and even word processing if you buy a keyboard case, especially the 128 GB model.

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
You can divide users into two groups: those that perform tasks that can be solely performed on the iPad, and those that perform tasks that can't be done on an iPad. The former group would have more likely purchased a MBA had the iPad not been available. It's these MBA sales that have potentially been cannibalised by iPad purchases.

Looking at it another way, if you're looking for a MBP, then it's fair to say you want something better/faster than a MBA. In this case, an iPad won't suffice.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
The iPad VASTLY outsells all MacBooks put together.

In the last quarter they sold 19.5 million iPads and 3.95 million Macs - and that number includes iMacs, Minis and Pros.

In my family, my father, sister and two aunts own iPads. None of them has ever owned a Mac and all of them have owned PCs (and continue to). I suspect most people moving using iPad as a computer replacement are moving from the Windows environment.

----------

]
Looking at it another way, if you're looking for a MBP, then it's fair to say you want something better/faster than a MBA. In this case, an iPad won't suffice.

I see a lot of Pros bought because of the name, by people who have use them exclusively for web surfing, email, watching videos and word processing (if they're still in school) - tasks that can easily be handled by an MBA.

And there are also a lot of MBAs bought by people who use them for more than that, but know they're powerful enough for their needs and like the compact size and weight.

I'm guessing there are more people who ended up buying Macs because of their iPhone/iPad experience than there are people who've giving up their Macs entirely for an iPad.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I suspect most people moving using iPad as a computer replacement are moving from the Windows environment.

I really agree with statement.

----------

If you need the ability to multi-task or write rather long papers for school or work, Pads are a poor choice.

My guess, is that most people have Pads to supplement their desktop or laptop, not replace it.

Also, I think that this is what the iPad idea was originally designed thought to be. I think most basic tech savvy users would use this setup.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I think it's a bit more complicated than iPads straight out replacing MacBooks. For instance, my mom started out by buying an iMac. She'd always used desktops, so that's what she got. Then she got an iPad. Then she got an 11 inch MBA because she was going on a trip, and she needed to do some work-related stuff while on the trip that couldn't be done on the iPad. When she came back from the trip, she just kept using her MBA, and the iMac has been sitting idle.

I just think that considering the cheapest MBA is $1000, that the type of user who considers an MBA are users that need more than a tablet to begin with. The people who had notebooks but didn't really need them and can get away with just an iPad most likely had cheap Windows notebooks / netbooks.

The point is that a majority of people who have iPads also need a computer. The question is if the computer would be a desktop or a notebook. And that choice depends on how mobile you need the computer to be. Pre-iPad, people had desktop + notebook. After iPad, many people dropped either the desktop or the notebook. So asking which notebook iPad cannibalizes the most is, IMO, not quite the right question, because I rather suspect the desktop might be more cannibalized than any of the notebooks.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Hi guys,

IMO, none. Macs and the iPad are two entire different concepts. What the iPad did destroy was the mini-Laptop market. You know, all those Dell Minis, Asus EE PCs....

Although if you are looking for an specific Mac, I'd say the plastic MacBook got eaten due to the iPad. It was cheap enough for basic things and got them done nicely.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
IMO, none. Macs and the iPad are two entire different concepts. What the iPad did destroy was the mini-Laptop market. You know, all those Dell Minis, Asus EE PCs....

Although if you are looking for an specific Mac, I'd say the plastic MacBook got eaten due to the iPad. It was cheap enough for basic things and got them done nicely.

I miss that old MacBook. They should have dropped it $799 for a "budget" notebook, but thats not Apple's style now is it...:)

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007

The plastic Macbook was eaten by the price drops on the MacBook Air.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012

I totally agree with this. If iPad threatened anything, it threatened cheap Windows Laptops.

None of the MacBooks are threatened because anyone who buys a MacBook is looking to use the OSX operating system. The Air, whether 11" or 13", outclasses any iPad in terms of processing power and productivity.

For simple tasks like surfing the web and checking the email, people could go to the iPad. People that only surf the web and check email would have bought a cheap Windows computer in the past, but now they have access to the iPad, which is a much easier to use and problem free device. The keyboard is used lightly so having a virtual one is much less cumbersome than having a physical one. They fall within the same price range and have similar power level. Cheap Windows laptops have better productivity than iPad due to the physical keyboard, but fall behind in security and speed. In this sense, I would say that cheap Windows laptops might not even be more productive than the iPad.

Full fledged OS's can do far more things than mobile OS's such as easy transfer of files, customization/cracking software, photo editing, etc. People who buy iPads don't have this intention in mind for their iPads

People who buy cheap Windows computers don't have this type of work in mind for their cheap Windows machines.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I miss that old MacBook. They should have dropped it $799 for a "budget" notebook, but thats not Apple's style now is it...:)

I agree with this. Although I would like to have seen it as a $699-$899 approach to close the bridge between a nice beefed up iPad and the MacBook Air.

The plastic Macbook was eaten by the price drops on the MacBook Air.

No... simply no.

I totally agree with this. If iPad threatened anything, it threatened cheap Windows Laptops.

None of the MacBooks are threatened because anyone who buys a MacBook is looking to use the OSX operating system. The Air, whether 11" or 13", outclasses any iPad in terms of processing power and productivity.

For simple tasks like surfing the web and checking the email, people could go to the iPad. People that only surf the web and check email would have bought a cheap Windows computer in the past, but now they have access to the iPad, which is a much easier to use and problem free device. The keyboard is used lightly so having a virtual one is much less cumbersome than having a physical one. They fall within the same price range and have similar power level. Cheap Windows laptops have better productivity than iPad due to the physical keyboard, but fall behind in security and speed. In this sense, I would say that cheap Windows laptops might not even be more productive than the iPad.

Full fledged OS's can do far more things than mobile OS's such as easy transfer of files, customization/cracking software, photo editing, etc. People who buy iPads don't have this intention in mind for their iPads

People who buy cheap Windows computers don't have this type of work in mind for their cheap Windows machines.

I also agree with this assessment. Grandma Jane and Granpa Joe do appreciate a simple task done quickly and without having to go thru several things to do it. On the iPad, just turn on, go to the Mail app and done, sends pics... or go to the camera app and wham! a photo of baby Jack... intuitive things are what the average person needs. I think Apple did really hit it with the iPad in that sense....

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
By the way, I post an identical question on Apple Discussions and they removed it....:(

markintosh

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2004
Boise, ID
Every Low Cost Windows Laptop

I agree with Yinz above. I don't think the MacBook line is in a position to be cannibalized much by the iPad. Completely different use cases.

However, look at the use most people have for a $300-$700 Windows Laptop, and those are in danger. Look what happened to the Netbook. Does anyone even make those anymore? It was supposed to be the future...everyone was betting on them. Enter the iPad, exit the Netbook.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I agree with Yinz above. I don't think the MacBook line is in a position to be cannibalized much by the iPad. Completely different use cases.

However, look at the use most people have for a $300-$700 Windows Laptop, and those are in danger. Look what happened to the Netbook. Does anyone even make those anymore? It was supposed to be the future...everyone was betting on them. Enter the iPad, exit the Netbook.

Yeah, netbooks really were horrible though. Im really glad the iPad came along and sprung the whole tablet revolution.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
Since I'm retired, I only use a Pad because of its portability around the home and nothing challenging. If I were in need of some programs/tasks that need a notebook instead, I would have gone that rout. Pads are really good for those that are no longer in need of a full size notebook, and the price is a nice bonus as well....:D

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Probably the 11-inch Air, IMO. Aka the cheapest Mac. But with the base Air being upgraded to a 128GB SSD and extremely better battery life, it's hard to say.

People will spend the extra money if they really want a Mac instead of an iPad.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
Thanks for the quick feedback. Not to be rude, but I don't agree with this for the average consumer. I agree completely for myself and for anyone that needs the demands for school or content creation, but the average consumer that spends time with emails and web surfing may only need a tablet.
I'm not trying to underestimate the "average consumer," which Apple has done in the past, but I know many people with full computers that check Yahoo news and thats about it...

True, but then none of these things would require a full-fledged laptop in the first place. One assumes that one of the functions that a laptop would discharge is the active and sustained use of the keyboard (either for writing long pieces of text, for coding etc.). As good as the interface of the iPad (or any other tablet) may be, it still is wholly inadequate for discharging that specific function. Of course, there are cases when some people claim to have written whole novels on tablets and smartphones, but those instances are rare and not the norm. So, I would agree that the iPad (or any tablet) does not replace and/ or cannibalize a laptop.

The interesting thing is that with the appearance of tablets, it is becoming increasingly clear that a lot of people had been buying devices which they did not actually need - this is with reference to what you mentioned about the kinds of people who just need to surf the web and respond to mails. This means that there is and will be a drop in the sales of full-fledged machines - laptops and desktops - in favour of these emerging lightweight (yet powerful) mobile devices.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Hi guys,

I wasn't sure where this should go, so ill just post it here. I have an iPad and I love it, but I also have a MacBook Pro that I wouldn't trade for anything. So this question isn't for me, but I was just thinking about the claims that the iPad would "cannablize" Mac sales and I got to thinking....

I don't count the iMac, since the user should know if they want portability so I was wondering: which MacBook line is more threatened by the iPad for the average consumer? My initial thought was the MacBook Air since it is the lower powered consumer portable, but then I began to think that since it is so thin and light (and traditional) that's many may choose it over an iPad. So would the heavier and overpowered (for the causal user) MacBook Pro be the one threatened?

none. it "threatens" cheap (crappy) PCs.
if you just want to go on facebook, play silly games and watch netflix why buy a virus vehicle when you can get an iPad or android tablet?

Apple has never been afraid of cannibalizing their own products.

the iPad is certainly a useful tool, but it's not a "real" computer by any means.
just look at the geekbench scores for a rule-of-thumb idea.

even the iPad 4 has a lower score than the first gen base model air.
now, obviously i'm not saying that a 1st gen air would be a better buy than an ipad 4 by any means, i am just illustrating the hardware under the hood to underscore the difference purpose of the laptop vs the ipad in terms of intended use.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Probably the 11-inch Air, IMO. Aka the cheapest Mac. But with the base Air being upgraded to a 128GB SSD and extremely better battery life, it's hard to say.

People will spend the extra money if they really want a Mac instead of an iPad.

my 11" air is a fully functioning laptop. i do not do any processor intensive operations that would require a pro but i certainly do some rendering, 3d imaging and high level processing for work (scientist) and for that it works great.

while it might be more appropriate for some people, i really don't think the iPad is much of a threat to any of the mac computers.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Clearly the iPad threatens sales of the lower end Macs. People who would originally buy those Macs because they had no other alternatives for light computing would now buy iPads. But, to be honest, I think that's a small subset. Most people will need a computer to do things beyond the iPad's capabilities, even if those things only take 10% of total computing time. So those who are searching for a computer aren't going to suddenly settle on an iPad.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The iPad VASTLY outsells all MacBooks put together.

In the last quarter they sold 19.5 million iPads and 3.95 million Macs - and that number includes iMacs, Minis and Pros.

... and these 19.5 million iPads mean Apple lost half a million sales of MacBooks, while PC sellers lost 19 million PC laptop sales. I think Apple is fine with that :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.