Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

googleplus.jpg
Google has updated its Google+ iOS app to version 4.5, adding integration with Google Drive to allow Google+ users to view, edit, and share images. The update also includes the removal of support for Messenger, which has been replaced with the Hangouts app.

Hangouts can now be initiated via profile pages, and old Messenger conversations can be accessed using Google's Takeout service. Google Apps domain support is also bundled into the update.
- View, edit, and share photos stored in Google Drive

- Google Apps domain support: restrict posts to the domain, domain icons to identify members

- Hangouts app replaces Messenger for messaging and video calls. Visit Google Takeout to download your Messenger data
Google+ for iOS can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google+ for iOS Update Replaces Messenger with Hangouts, Adds Google Drive Support

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
Is this by the same Google that recently told a court it's users have no reasonable expectation of privacy in regards to their gmail accounts? According to Google it is OK for it to view users email. No thanks.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Is this by the same Google that recently told a court it's users have no reasonable expectation of privacy in regards to their gmail accounts?

Apparently not since that is not what they said. It's too bad people with no real knowledge are allowed to write articles about law.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Hangouts are nice, but I can't stand Google+. I got an account early and thought it would be cool, but it was disappointing. Worse than Facebook except that Google also shoves it down your throat if you use YouTube. I would have no problem with it if it was totally optional and separate.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Do we really need another Facebook, Google? You had the oppitunity to build a social network around videos with the power of YouTube. But no. You wanted a slice of the Facebook action. And now nobody gives a **** about G+.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Google + it feels like it should be awesome but...it's not

Google+ is to Facebook what Android is to iOS... a direct copy with "Google" in front of it.

Google = the boring, copying, evil, monopoly of this day. Avoid it like the plague.

----------

Hangouts are nice, but I can't stand Google+. I got an account early and thought it would be cool, but it was disappointing.QUOTE]

LOL don't tell me... "beta?"

I got in with Gmail nice and early, to realise it's just a copy of *insert known webmail service... let's say hotmail.*

During those days Google was just a free search engine so seemed new and oozing with potential.

Now they have billions of dollars from scraping user data/advertising/significantly changing the once profitable adsense conditions. When ~$500 adsense cheques turned into ~$00.05 adsense cheques and adwords started charging tenfold, I smelled the cheese.

Google _______ is Google's second rate copy of a known commercial product. All paid for by ads/user privacy/user data.

Their one good product is their search engine. Why did they have to take over the world?

Tamagotchi

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
Google+ is to Facebook what Android is to iOS... a direct copy with "Google" in front of it.

Google = the boring, copying, evil, monopoly of this day. Avoid it like the plague.

----------

Hangouts are nice, but I can't stand Google+. I got an account early and thought it would be cool, but it was disappointing.QUOTE]

LOL don't tell me... "beta?"

I got in with Gmail nice and early, to realise it's just a copy of *insert known webmail service... let's say hotmail.*

During those days Google was just a free search engine so seemed new and oozing with potential.

Now they have billions of dollars from scraping user data/advertising/significantly changing the once profitable adsense conditions. When ~$500 adsense cheques turned into ~$00.05 adsense cheques and adwords started charging tenfold, I smelled the cheese.

Google _______ is Google's second rate copy of a known commercial product. All paid for by ads/user privacy/user data.

Their one good product is their search engine. Why did they have to take over the world?

You have no idea what you are talking about, and sadly your arguments are so immature and silly you cannot be taken seriously. I do not know how old you are, but it gives the impression this was written by a 12 year old fanboy.

verdi1987

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Google Takeout is only exporting Hangouts chats

When I use Google Takeout to export my Hangouts data (there is no separate option for the old pre-Hangouts chats), it only gives me the messages logged after the conversion to Hangouts on May 15.

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011

That is debatable. Google's claim to fame was it placed advertising off to the side and did not let it interfere with search results like everybody else did. Now Google does the same thing.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Do we really need another Facebook, Google? You had the oppitunity to build a social network around videos with the power of YouTube. But no. You wanted a slice of the Facebook action. And now nobody gives a **** about G+.

But if you want your business to exist on Google searches, and it isn't big enough to fork over huge amounts to buy keywords, it has to have a G+ presence. That's one way Google artificially props up G+.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
I just want the app to auto-upload photos at their original size like the Android app is able to. Not included in this update, though.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
That is debatable. Google's claim to fame was it placed advertising off to the side and did not let it interfere with search results like everybody else did. Now Google does the same thing.

I never said that...

----------

And now nobody gives a **** about G+.

Actually, if you look at some YouTubers who voice their opinions, they give a lot of **** about G+. That is, they hate it and hate Google because of it. Luckily, I figured out how to keep it off my channel.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
It is awesome, but unfortunately no one else I know uses it.

I think the best way to use G+ is not to use it like Facebook, but like Twitter. Use it like an "interest network" where you follow people that share your interests. I.e. use G+ to build a social network rather than to move an existing one to it.

karlth

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
Again and again Google has shown it has no loyalty when it comes to its customer base. They close products left right and center and leave the users hanging (Latitude users are the latest casulty). Why on earth should I join their newest offspring only to be cut off when Google feel like it?

Scr*ew them.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
just like Apple then? Think back to how many products and services Apple has closed.

Again and again Google has shown it has no loyalty when it comes to its customer base. They close products left right and center and leave the users hanging (Latitude users are the latest casulty). Why on earth should I join their newest offspring only to be cut off when Google feel like it?

Scr*ew them.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010

Google's claim to fame was that they have a superior search algorithm.

Scr*ew them.

Sounds like you're mistaken about who actually are Google's customers...

Zyphras

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Apparently not since that is not what they said. It's too bad people with no real knowledge are allowed to write articles about law.

Yeah, Mr. Internet Lawyer, let's make a law against talking about the law. You sure know about the constitutionality of free speech.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Yeah, Mr. Internet Lawyer, let's make a law against talking about the law. You sure know about the constitutionality of free speech.

What does free speech have to do with anything? The fact was, that is not what the Google lawyers said.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.