Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewsjra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
Looks like Beta 6 still didn't fix the unlock sound. Is anyone else still experiencing this?

andrewsjra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
Or it would be nice if they had different unlock/lock sounds to choose from. Especially now that IOS 7 has a different feel I feel it would be appropriate.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
it's not a mistake, Apple doesn't miss things like this, this is their way of saying they are changing it. I don't think it will remain without sounds, but, the lock/unlock sounds are skewmorphic (however that's spelled), so these will change also...new sounds! :D

But, like OP, I'd like to be able to choose the sounds...all sounds, actually (even the bubble sounds in texting).

Cometman12347

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2013
People don't get that there is still skumorphic elements in iOS 7. It's whole new physics engine is an example of this . iOS 7 is about removing skumorphic elements from the visual design.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
it's not a mistake, Apple doesn't miss things like this, this is their way of saying they are changing it. I don't think it will remain without sounds, but, the lock/unlock sounds are skewmorphic (however that's spelled), so these will change also...new sounds! :D

But, like OP, I'd like to be able to choose the sounds...all sounds, actually (even the bubble sounds in texting).

I dunno, I put in a bug report regarding the iOS 7 beta 5 missing lock sound (figuring it would be flagged as a duplicate), but they responded asking for logs. Haven't sent it yet though.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I dunno, I put in a bug report regarding the iOS 7 beta 5 missing lock sound (figuring it would be flagged as a duplicate), but they responded asking for logs. Haven't sent it yet though.
Interesting that they either aren't aware of it, or seem to not quite get what the issue really is somehow.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Which part of the visual design is the unlock sound? :p

It's not just about visual design, the lock/unlock sounds are skewmorphic by design also...I don't think you get the overall concept, maybe you should google it. (Skeuomorphic)

----------

Interesting that they either aren't aware of it, or seem to not quite get what the issue really is somehow.

maybe that's because it isn't an issue. ...there is no way this would just slip by the people at Apple, I am sure they know about it...not one idevice with iOS 7 beta 5 or 6 has the unlock sound, now does it? Apple has been known to give hints at new or changing features in beta releases before.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's not just about visual design, the lock/unlock sounds are skewmorphic by design also...I don't think you get the overall concept, maybe you should google it. (Skeuomorphic)

----------

maybe that's because it isn't an issue. ...there is no way this would just slip by the people at Apple, I am sure they know about it...not one idevice with iOS 7 beta 5 or 6 has the unlock sound, now does it? Apple has been known to give hints at new or changing features in beta releases before.
It's very easy for anything to slip by in a beta update, and even a non-beta update. It might seem obvious to some later on, but all kinds of things slip through with all kinds of updates involving all kinds of companies...just the nature of the beast.

Furthermore, if this was intentional, Apple wouldn't request more details about the issue, and would close the bug report as something like "works as designed", "won't fix", or even a duplicate of some sort.

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
I actually prefer just having a lock sound, don't feel the unlock sound is needed anymore or at least it needs changing for the new UI as the "sound" don't quite fit the UI anymore

That's because you can see. My wife is blind and relies in the unlock sound to let her know she's successfully unlocked the phone. As an accessibility issue, there really needs to be an unlock sound.

aimee.elizabeth

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2012
That's because you can see. My wife is blind and relies in the unlock sound to let her know she's successfully unlocked the phone. As an accessibility issue, there really needs to be an unlock sound.

That is a very interesting aspect that I haven't considered, and it is a serious issue for those with disabilities. Did you send Apple feedback? Perhaps they can make it a toggle option under Accessibilities. That would make many other happy too.

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
That is a very interesting aspect that I haven't considered, and it is a serious issue for those with disabilities. Did you send Apple feedback? Perhaps they can make it a toggle option under Accessibilities. That would make many other happy too.

I haven't reported it to Apple yet because I assume it's going to be fixed soon. However, if it's not restored in the next beta, I definitely will report it.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London

Well i guess your Wife isnt a Developer so therefore shouldn't be using a beta software.. of course this would be fixed/replaced in the GM

aimee.elizabeth

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2012
Well i guess your Wife isnt a Developer so therefore shouldn't be using a beta software.. of course this would be fixed/replaced in the GM

Where did he say that his wife is using iOS 7? He could be speaking on her behalf, meaning that if this is a feature and not a bug, people who are blind would be hindered. Geez.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London
Where did he say that his wife is using iOS 7? He could be speaking on her behalf, meaning that if this is a feature and not a bug, people who are blind would be hindered. Geez.

It's a bug thats proven, if you disable lock sounds and reenable sometimes it works therefore showing its a bug

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
It's a bug thats proven, if you disable lock sounds and reenable sometimes it works therefore showing its a bug

I hope so. Apple has always excelled at providing accessibility options. I don't think they would deliberately remove this feature unless they didn't realize that doing so created an accessibility issue. To be honest, if it didn't affect my wife, I'm not sure I would have realized that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.