Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jetlitheone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
So yesterday I bought my ipad 4 from radioshack... I know the 5 is coming out in October the latest but I figured since they have a 30day return policy that I would return it a couple times till the ipad 5 release... This sounds wrong I know but I'm impatient and I wanted your advice.. Should I just return it for good and wait(I've heard bad things about radioshacks return policies) tomorrow or do you think I should do what I was gonna do..

Any advice is good. Thanks:apple:

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
So yesterday I bought my ipad 4 from radioshack... I know the 5 is coming out in October the latest but I figured since they have a 30day return policy that I would return it a couple times till the ipad 5 release... This sounds wrong I know but I'm impatient and I wanted your advice.. Should I just return it for good and wait(I've heard bad things about radioshacks return policies) tomorrow or do you think I should do what I was gonna do..

I would just return the ipad and wait for the 5. It's not good to game the system, as there is a chance that you will accidentally damage your ipad and no longer be eligible for a return.

jetlitheone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
I would just return the ipad and wait for the 5. It's not good to game the system, as there is a chance that you will accidentally damage your ipad and no longer be eligible for a return.

Thanks for the helpful response the patience I don't have will drive me nuts but I waited this long so..

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007

^^^ This !

Some retailers are beginning to track customers who make returns at their stores. It's better to be patient as the iPad 5 and the new mini are pretty close to being announced. Maybe next month.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
You sure about a 30 day return period? Most everywhere gives 14 days for iPads, tablets, laptops, etc.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
You sure about a 30 day return period? Most everywhere gives 14 days for iPads, tablets, laptops, etc.

Plus I think the 14-30 days applies to the original date of purchase. You would have to keep buying from a different store. (Walmart, best buy, RadioShack)

It's also dishonest and what goes around comes around.

EDIT: Isn't there a restocking fee if you ask for refund?

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Too many returns could get you blacklisted as well. Especially if there is no problem with it.

This happened to me when trying out a few tablets at bestbuy. Doesn't matter if unopened. Be very careful and don't play around with the system. Primary reason why I don't shop at bestbuy unless I'm desperate. You could be stuck with a gadget thats bad out the box; they won't exchange if you hit their limit.

sixstrings03

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
I had to legitimately return an ipad 4 I bought from amazon a bit ago and they incur a large restocking fee even if returning within the period.... Makes sense but might want to check that with RadioShack even if you aren't planning on "gaming" the system

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California

that really is a crazy idea. might be OK to keep on returning it in cycle as long as it's unopened, still with plastic sealed. but once it's opened, then that's a different story. if ever why don't you just wait. new one will be out in about 2 months (??).

getstuff4less

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2010

30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
We want you to be fully satisfied with every item that you purchase from RadioShack.com. If you are not satisfied with an item that you have purchased, you may return the item within 30 days of delivery for a full refund of the purchase price, minus the shipping, handling or other additional charges.
The item must be returned in good condition, in original boxes, and with all paperwork, parts and accessories to ensure full credit. Please see our Return Rules and Restrictions and Return Exceptions before returning your item.

I wasn't sure about the 14 days either. RadioShack does not even mention 14 days on their website…

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Best advice is to always buy from Apple. They give you a 14 day return 100% satisfaction and they pay for the return. Any iDevice I buy, I always get from Apple. Plus it's soooo much easier to deal with Apple since I use my AMEX card and I get an extra free year of warranty. :)

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Don't be that guy. Retailers offer return policy's for customers that have legitimate reasons.

If everyone did what you did, stores will be very stringent with returns in the future because returns cost them resources.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Best advice is to always buy from Apple. They give you a 14 day return 100% satisfaction and they pay for the return. Any iDevice I buy, I always get from Apple. Plus it's soooo much easier to deal with Apple since I use my AMEX card and I get an extra free year of warranty. :)

While I fully endorse buying from Apple, the same reasons for not buying and returning apply.

Apple's generosity and customer service is built into their prices. The more it's abused, the more we all pay.

I've only returned one item to Apple ever - an Apple TV that I decided to replace after a few days with a Mac Mini.

(And I've since bought two more Apple TVs for other uses)

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
While I fully endorse buying from Apple, the same reasons for not buying and returning apply.

Apple's generosity and customer service is built into their prices. The more it's abused, the more we all pay.

I've only returned one item to Apple ever - an Apple TV that I decided to replace after a few days with a Mac Mini.

(And I've since bought two more Apple TVs for other uses)

Yeah their price factors in lots of things BUT their retail price is the same as that of Target and everywhere else iDevices are sold. ;)

My main reason for buying from Apple is the extra year I get from Amex. If there's ever a problem after the Apple warranty I just dial up Amex.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Yeah their price factors in lots of things BUT their retail price is the same as that of Target and everywhere else iDevices are sold. ;)

Of course it is. But lets say a 300 iPad costs Apple 100 to make, the sell it to Target for 200 and Target sells it for 300 (Obviously all prices are invented by me). When Apple sells it online or in an Apple store they get 200 above cost instead of 100 (putting aside the cost of staff, store rent, etc.)

You only have to look at the availability of stock in the refurb store to see how much stock comes back to Apple.

Obviously I'm not suggesting that one person's decision will have an impact on Apple's princes, or even if all of us on MacRumors vowed to never do it, but it is something to think about.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012

I agree, although our last 2 mbpr we bought from a retail store, well their online store for 10% discount and 18 months interest free, so took the risk missing out on the 14 day return policy. It worked this time, no problems.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
If they ask you why you're returning it, don't say "spite". Seinfeld got stuck with a jacket because that wasn't a valid reason. :D

Best Buy has the longest return period if you are a silver reward member, but they do track returns....

dvrmstrng

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2006
Should have just kept it and been happy with what you had. How will you feel a year after you get your iPad 5 and the iPad 6 with ultra-mega-awesome display is coming out and you can't return it anymore?

Motherload0211

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
Should have just kept it and been happy with what you had. How will you feel a year after you get your iPad 5 and the iPad 6 with ultra-mega-awesome display is coming out and you can't return it anymore?

That was just funny....Keep the 4 instead of getting the 5 because of the 6 coming out a year or so from now. Why get the 6 when the 7 will be coming out the following year ? Just funny. Thank you for the laugh :D

dvrmstrng

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2006
That was just funny....Keep the 4 instead of getting the 5 because of the 6 coming out a year or so from now. Why get the 6 when the 7 will be coming out the following year ? Just funny. Thank you for the laugh :D

You could just never upgrade for fear of better device being release in the near future.....and then maybe you would realize you could live without all the gadgetry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.