Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
A great gesture? You've got to be kidding.

It's a $4 part that Apple retails for a "screw the customer-they won't mind" $20!

So they lower the price in a self serving move designed to keep their profits flowing and you are impressed?

How very very sad. Clueless & sad.

Can you show us the links to the accounting documents that show how Apple's R&D, manufacturing, packaging, distribution, marketing, regulatory, legal, support and warranty costs boil down to a $4 part?

You obviously have this inside information. Perhaps if you shared it with the rest of us we would know how badly we're being screwed over.

And yes, BTW. I think it's a very impressive PR and customer service move by Apple. They found a very customer friendly way of telling people, "Since you were stupid enough to risk the integrity of your $700+ device, and your life in order to save a couple of bucks we're going to give you an opportunity to bail yourself out with minimal pain."

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
BEWARE - Apple retail store clerks (including Store Manager) are very ANAL about what you turn in. It must be a generic fake USB knock-off. Although they state "turn in at least one USB power adapter" they won't accept just any regular USB power adapter.

I just tried to do this and my I brought an old USB adapter from a prior generation Samsung phone and after waiting 45 minutes to be "checked in" via the Genius Bar appointment system as a walk-in" I was told "that's a Samsung, not a 3rd party USB. We don't accept that".

So, if you really want to take advantage of this to get an Apple power supply for $10 instead of $20, head over to eBay ASAP and buy one of those generic Apple USB power supplies (approx $1.50 USD with free shipping) and hope you receive before this "limited time" promo ends.

Oh, and book a Genius Bar appointment in advance so you don't have to wait when you get to the store.

Wow. Now here's someone who really understands the value of their gas and time.

First of all, why should Apple be willing to give you anything in exchange for a charger that you bought for another device that's not even an Apple product?

But beyond that, I'm not sure how much money you make an hour, but it seems like you just spent way more than an hour, and precious gas money and wear and tear on your vehicle in order to save $9.00.

Well, actually $7.83: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-12W-USB...36924&sr=8-1&keywords=apple+iPad+wall+charger

Not to mention the additional time you've spent contacting Apple's Executive team, including the ex-CEO who's been dead for nearly two years.

Unless you make far below minimum wage you're screwing yourself over.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
"Since you were stupid enough to risk the integrity of your $700+ device, and your life"

Thanks for showing us you care, but couldn't Apple have made a bigger fuss about this years ago. Why now? It's not like anything changed.

Millions and millions of cheap chargers and one poorly documented accidental death. It doesn't add up.

therealbeats

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2013
For the naysayers

For those who think Apple are robbing people blind by making their chargers so expensive - a couple of very informative articles with tear-downs of Apple and third party chargers comparing the quality:

http://www.righto.com/2012/03/inside-cheap-phone-charger-and-why-you.html
http://www.righto.com/2012/05/apple-iphone-charger-teardown-quality.html

Clearly a lot of R&D investment has gone into these little packages, no the components may not be worth $20 in themselves but these articles show it's not just the cost of components we're talking about.

Last edited:

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Thanks for showing us you care, but couldn't Apple have made a bigger fuss about this years ago. Why now? It's not like anything changed.

Millions and millions of cheap chargers and one poorly documented accidental death. It doesn't add up.

Oh, I apologize if I wasn't clear. I don't care. In fact, I couldn't care less. It's called natural selection. I have no more sympathy for someone who is willing to risk their life in order to save a couple of bucks on a charger than I do for someone who would buy knockoff tires for their car.

Apple's documentation has been peppered with admonitions not to use unauthorized third-party chargers for years. But as I said earlier, they are exhibiting brilliant customer service and PR acumen here to reiterate to people the same thing they've said all along, and giving them one last chance to do the smart thing.

And BTW, nice job of cherry-picking one small part of my post to quote out of context.

nicinabox

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2009
Oxford, UK
Why do you call it fake? The cheaper power adapters are not fake.. An adapter is real if it works.

i was specifically talking about Macbook chargers, the ones exactly the same as the original Apple ones, at least in appearance. Just Ebay "Macbook Charger" and you'll see 1000's of chargers indistinguishable from the genuine Apple chargers. It classifies as a fake if it is trying to deceive the public into thinking it's genuine.

Again if Apple wanted to cut down on these lower quality chargers all they'd have to do is cut their markup cost, real Apple chargers cost $80 in the UK the "replica's" on ebay $25. So too buy genuine is 3 times as expensive.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
i was specifically talking about Macbook chargers, the ones exactly the same as the original Apple ones, at least in appearance. Just Ebay "Macbook Charger" and you'll see 1000's of chargers indistinguishable from the genuine Apple chargers. It classifies as a fake if it is trying to deceive the public into thinking it's genuine.

Again if Apple wanted to cut down on these lower quality chargers all they'd have to do is cut their markup cost, real Apple chargers cost $80 in the UK the "replica's" on ebay $25. So too buy genuine is 3 times as expensive.

So go buy a fake. And use the savings to make sure your insurance policy is paid up...

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Can you exchange a car charger that goes into the cigarette lighter for one of Apples wall chargers (since they don't make car ones)?

----------

Everybody got a nice Apple Charger when they got their device. Let's all use them. Problem solved.

You don't get one with your iPod.

BandH

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2013
Wow. Now here's someone who really understands the value of their gas and time.

First of all, why should Apple be willing to give you anything in exchange for a charger that you bought for another device that's not even an Apple product?

But beyond that, I'm not sure how much money you make an hour, but it seems like you just spent way more than an hour, and precious gas money and wear and tear on your vehicle in order to save $9.00.

Well, actually $7.83: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-12W-USB...36924&sr=8-1&keywords=apple+iPad+wall+charger

Not to mention the additional time you've spent contacting Apple's Executive team, including the ex-CEO who's been dead for nearly two years.

Unless you make far below minimum wage you're screwing yourself over.

Actually, through the miracle of multitasking, it did not cost a cent for gas and wear and tear (i.e. I stopped in the Apple store only when I had to go to the mall anyway for something else).

Time value is also relative not absolute, spending a few minutes waiting in the store was simply less time wasted tagging along with the "other shopper" (if you are married you know what I mean).

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Nothing changed? One widely publicised death. That's what changed.

How many people were aware that a cheap charger could kill you? That number is much bigger now than a week ago. How many people at Apple were aware? There may be some engineers who design chargers who are fully aware that they need to create really good designs, and who concentrate on making really good chargers for Apple. These engineers would probably care if some competitor makes an exceptionally good charger, and if they see that X makes better chargers, then they are going to improve Apple chargers, but they wouldn't care about cheaper but safe, or about cheaper and rubbish chargers.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Supply and demand says people will pay $20 for their chargers. Why would they charge less? Why would any company charge less than what people will pay for their things? They have no obligation to offer their chargers for less, and therefore this is a very nice gesture on their part.And regardless, is $20 for a tiny well-designed charger really that expensive? One comes in the box, so it'd be a spare anyway. Nobody is forcing you to buy one.
First off it’s not about price to the typical Apple demographic in the USA, who can in most cases easily afford the part. But in other countries suddenly the part is relatively more expensive and less affordable. Nor is it about not being forced to buy one. I am commenting on Apple’s greed. They temporarily offer this program with an expiration date which is to insure they resume overcharging for the Apple name.
Huh, clueless & sad ? So let me get this straight, a woman in china got electrocuted by a cheap and fake charger. A month later apple create a worldwide program to exchange fake adapter that we bought for like what $2-$4 and pay for half price on the original so we don't get electrocuted, and that is sad ?
We all know about this so called "apple tax" / premium price for their product, and i'm sure you are willing to pay for it, otherwise you won't be here.
What other company that you know that did this kind of thing ?
5 years ago, when I used a nokia phone. The original battery cost a lot, for like $40 -$50 , and there was a fake "compatible" china battery cost for only like $10. There were news about this cheap battery that can overheat and explode, and nokia knew about this, what did they do ? nothing.
So yeah let me repeat myself, this is a great gesture from apple.
Yes it’s a sad state of affairs when Apple blantantly creates a temporary short term program for no other reason than to continue to sell and to make themselves look good. If they really cared, they would reduce the price of the adapter permanently and not require others to return the part they are using in order to “qualify” for a discounted adapter, only available at the lower price for a limited time.
I am impressed. I think it's a brilliant move.
Now I do agree with your comment, from Apple’s side of things it’s brilliant. They continue to rake in revenue even if at a reduced margin.
They’ve obviously convinced every one of you, the people that I am responding to that they are this caring, sensitive kind company via a phony trumped up program that is temporary.
Can you show us the links to the accounting documents that show how Apple's R&D, manufacturing, packaging, distribution, marketing, regulatory, legal, support and warranty costs boil down to a $4 part?
You obviously have this inside information. Perhaps if you shared it with the rest of us we would know how badly we're being screwed over.
And yes, BTW. I think it's a very impressive PR and customer service move by Apple. They found a very customer friendly way of telling people, "Since you were stupid enough to risk the integrity of your $700+ device, and your life in order to save a couple of bucks we're going to give you an opportunity to bail yourself out with minimal pain."
It’s just a matter of being familiar with the cost of manufacturing of parts like this. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. Those who don’t have any manufacturing knowledge or experience can use Google and obtain any info they want. The bottom line is for approx $4 Apple cost they could retail this part for $9.99 year after year and still make what is generally accepted as a very profitable markup. It's just common sense, something that those who advocate for Apple are lacking.

Finally the bottom line is if indeed she or anyone else uses an aftermarket part, third party part, or whatever you choose to call it, they are responsible for their own actions. It’s a simple as that. Apple owes them nothing, yet took this opportunity to create a smoke and mirrors scenario (Brilliantly I might add) to insure they looked like the kindest company on the planet to those who cannot see the obvious scam here.

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
This IS BS.

My 2 Cents:

Im not sure why Apple is taking responsibility because people tried to cheap out and complain about Apples pricing. Apple developed a reasonable and SAFE adaptor and people didn't want to pay for it. If an extra $10 isn't worth NOT being electrocuted then thats the buyers problem.

----------

Sorry, but that's BS. Apple provided you with an Adaptor. Use it. If you plug your 120v television, toaster, whatever into a 220v line and it explodes do you expect Samsung or whomever to replace it and pay for your funeral. NO, you don't.

This is about people being stupid and cheap. I paid $600 for my motorcycle helmut when I could buy one for $70. But, you know what? IT'S MY HEAD! DUH!

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
...It’s just a matter of being familiar with the cost of manufacturing of parts like this. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. Those who don’t have any manufacturing knowledge or experience can use Google and obtain any info they want. The bottom line is for approx $4 Apple cost they could retail this part for $9.99 year after year and still make what is generally accepted as a very profitable markup. It's just common sense, something that those who advocate for Apple are lacking...

Translation: "I pulled this out of my ass, and since I can't really back it up I will put up some smoke and mirrors myself."

Reading your posts it's quite obvious you have an axe to grind. IMO, the many reasoned and logical replies to your posts, and your response thereto have clearly shown your bias. But I understand that you would never agree.:)

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Translation: "I pulled this out of my ass, and since I can't really back it up I will put up some smoke and mirrors myself."

Reading your posts it's quite obvious you have an axe to grind. IMO, the many reasoned and logical replies to your posts, and your response thereto have clearly shown your bias. But I understand that you would never agree.:)

Your inane inability to discuss it apparently dictates that you become vulgar.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Your inane inability to discuss it apparently dictates that you become vulgar.

I did try to discuss. I asked you for evidence to back up your claim. You asserted that you have no obligation to justify the number you threw out there.

Here's another opportunity. Show us the accounting numbers that verify it only costs Apple $4 to bring the chargers to market. Once you do, I will cede your point that they are charging 300% profit. Until then, my previous post stands.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
This wouldn't be necessary if Apple just set reasonable prices for the chargers to begin with. These chargers are only compatible with Apple's devices and their profit margin must be enormous. It's supply and demand, people want to get a reasonable price for something as simple as a charger. As long as that is the case people will continue buying alternatives on eBay, without thinking of possible safety concerns. So what is the reaction? A trade-in program that makes people pay extra just to get an Apple-branded charger, while many chargers on eBay could be perfectly fine too. Apple wins, the consumer loses.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
This wouldn't be necessary if Apple just set reasonable prices for the chargers to begin with. These chargers are only compatible with Apple's devices and their profit margin must be enormous. It's supply and demand, people want to get a reasonable price for something as simple as a charger. As long as that is the case people will continue buying alternatives on eBay, without thinking of possible safety concerns. So what is the reaction? A trade-in program that makes people pay extra just to get an Apple-branded charger, while many chargers on eBay could be perfectly fine too. Apple wins, the consumer loses.

I feel the Apple charger is reasonably priced.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007

Shaking my head at how asinine that whole diatribe was. What is your evidence to show what their profit margin is on these devices? Do you have some empirical evidence that shows what it costs them to bring the products to market? If so, show it to us, instead of throwing out some half-assed statement like "their profit margin must be enormous."

You show absolutely no concept of what supply and demand means in market terms. Supply and demand is an economic model that is determined by the demand of a product vs. the availability of said product. That has absolutely nothing to do with the phenomena of certain people in a market deciding that they don't want to pay the price for a certain quality of product, and instead are willing to by a non-proven or substandard product for a cheaper price.

Your statement that Apple's program "makes people pay extra for an Apple-branded charger" is just ludicrous. People are free to keep their non-Apple approved chargers if they wish. Apple is just giving them the opportunity to trade those non-approved chargers in for an Apple certified charger if they choose that they no longer wish to risk death by electrocution from a charger that doesn't meet basic safety standards.

The other half of the statement, "while many chargers on eBay could be perfectly fine too." is equally absurd. Sure, they could be perfectly fine. Then again, they could kill you. And if they do, nobody will stand up and accept liability.

Your statement that "Apple wins. The consumer loses." is just mystifying to me. What the Hell is that even supposed to mean? Because Apple is allowed to make a profit from their investment in R&D, design, manufacturing, distribution, marketing, packaging, legal fees, regulatory expenses, support and warranty they are somehow a bad company?

It never ceases to amaze me how some people get such a sense of entitlement about things. Just because someone packages a turd and sells it to you at a bargain price does not make it comparable to a quality product that meets safety regulations and guidelines.

Go buy cheaper parts. Roll the dice. Save $5, or $10. Do the research and see if that other company is following industry standards for safety. Buy what you feel comfortable with buying. Then take a deep breath and contemplate your decision every time you plug it into the wall. But don't put your economic decisions on Apple's back. It's not their responsibility to make you feel like you're getting a bargain on your damn charger. Geez.

Last edited:

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Shaking my head at how asinine that whole diatribe was. What is your evidence to show what their profit margin is on these devices? Do you have some empirical evidence that shows what it costs them to bring the products to market? If so, show it to us, instead of throwing out some half-assed statement like "their profit margin must be enormous."

You show absolutely no concept of what supply and demand means in market terms. Supply and demand is an economic model that is determined by the demand of a product vs. the availability of said product. That has absolutely nothing to do with the phenomena of certain people in a market deciding that they don't want to pay the price for a certain quality of product, and instead are willing to by a non-proven or substandard product for a cheaper price.

Your statement that Apple's program "makes people pay extra for an Apple-branded charger" is just ludicrous. People are free to keep their non-Apple approved chargers if they wish. Apple is just giving them the opportunity to trade those non-approved chargers in for an Apple certified charger if they choose that they no longer wish to risk death by electrocution from a charger that doesn't meet basic safety standards.

The other half of the statement, "while many chargers on eBay could be perfectly fine too." is equally absurd. Sure, they could be perfectly fine. Then again, they could kill you. And if they do, nobody will stand up and accept liability.

Your statement that "Apple wins. The consumer loses." is just mystifying to me. What the Hell is that even supposed to mean? Because Apple is allowed to make a profit from their investment in R&D, design, manufacturing, distribution, marketing, packaging, legal fees, regulatory expenses, support and warranty they are somehow a bad company?

It never ceases to amaze me how some people get such a sense of entitlement about things. Just because someone packages a turd and sells it to you at a bargain price does not make it comparable to a quality product that meets safety regulations and guidelines.

Go buy cheaper parts. Roll the dice. Save $5, or $10. Do the research and see if that other company is following industry standards for safety. Buy what you feel comfortable with buying. Then take a deep breath and contemplate your decision every time you plug it into the wall. But don't put your economic decisions on Apple's back. It's not their responsibility to make you feel like you're getting a bargain on your damn charger. Geez.

Wow. That is so incredibly well said. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Tork

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2006
The idea that Apple is diabolically setting their charger prices at $19 so they can laugh their way to the bank is pretty funny.

MR article from last month said only 3% of all of Apple's revenue comes from non- Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, and iPad sales. So Apple TVs, mice, trackpads, keyboards, earbuds, cables, cable converters, repairs, Air Ports, Time Capsules, Smart Covers, Smart Cases, Apple Care sales, Mac App Store sales, remotes, other things I'm forgetting about, and yes, chargers amount to 3% of their total revenue. They don't care about profit when it comes to chargers.

If you want a cheaper (spare!) charger, there are plenty of options from other reputable companies like Belkin and Griffin. It's not like Apple is the only one selling safe chargers. Plenty of other cheaper options for people to choose from. And nice move on Apple's part to raise awareness and offer this program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.