Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fitness expert and Nike product consultant Jay Blahnik appears to have confirmed his hiring by Apple on Twitter (via 9to5Mac). While Blahnik has been a consultant to Apple on unspecified products in the past, it now seems that he may join the company full time, potentially working on Apple's highly-rumored iWatch.

Jay_Blahnik-800x900.jpg
From a cached version of Blahnik's personal website:
Jay has been a Nike Elite Athlete and Nike consultant for almost 20 years. He worked closely with Nike on the launch of Nike+Running, which has become the largest digital running community in the world. He was also the original creator and program developer of the Nike Training Club App, and the Nike Training Club in-gym program, which boasts over 6 million digital users. He is also a key expert and consultant for many of Nike's new Digital Sport initiatives that launched in 2012, including Nike+ Kinect Training and Nike+ FuelBand.
Last month, Apple notably hired new employees with an expertise in health sensors to work on the iWatch, including hiring personnel away from notable firms such as AccuVein and MediSensors. Apple has also been filing trademark applications on the iWatch name in a number of countries, and is reportedly looking toward a late 2014 launch for the product as it works to solve numerous technical challenges.

Update: AllThingsD confirms that Apple has hired Jay Blahnik and speculates that he will likely be working with the company's wearables team.

Article Link: Former Nike FuelBand Consultant Jay Blahnik Confirms Apple Hiring [Update: Confirmed by AllThingsD]

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
The "iWatch" is shaping up like it could be something big. I'm interested in the idea of the flexible displays.

Maybe another game changer?

Last edited:

jeffmo

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
With Nike setting the Fuelband prices at $150, it'd be interesting to see what Apple will set their price to. The way I understand it is, Nike is the standard right now for wearable tech (in terms of durability, form and function) and if Apple is to compete with them, an equal or more affordable price is necessary to propel the iWatch into the mainstream market. I imagine most people aren't in the market for expensive watches/wearable tech nowadays, so I feel that Apple's "game changing feature" could be it's price point for the iWatch. Unless they are aiming for purely the premium market, in which case I'd prepare for an iWatch with a minimum price of $200+ (but that better entail some premium leathers, metals, style and durability!).

Just my $0.02

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Interesting. It will be cool to see just what this rumored device is.

IMO, keeping time will be it's least discussed feature. :apple:

----------

Since it seems Apple is on the trend of GOLD lately, maybe the iWatch will look like this:

No possible way Jony would allow a Black Leather Band. ;)

akb

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2004
UK
With Nike setting the Fuelband prices at $150, it'd be interesting to see what Apple will set their price to. The way I understand it is, Nike is the standard right now for wearable tech (in terms of durability, form and function) and if Apple is to compete with them, an equal or more affordable price is necessary to propel the iWatch into the mainstream market. I imagine most people aren't in the market for expensive watches/wearable tech nowadays, so I feel that Apple's "game changing feature" could be it's price point for the iWatch. Unless they are aiming for purely the premium market, in which case I'd prepare for an iWatch with a minimum price of $200+ (but that better entail some premium leathers, metals, style and durability!).

Just my $0.02

Fuelband looks good, but from what I can tell it's basically just a pedometer. If it had GPS and pulse monitoring for workout sessions, it'd be so much better.

iWatch isn't going to be just about competing with the Fuelband, but if it were, Apple could blow it out of the water so easily.

Instead, it's going to be a new category product - and it'll cost a lot more than $150.

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL

Just my $0.02

The original iPod was (slightly) more expensive than the other MP3 players on the market and Apple did okay in that space, if memory serves me correctly...
:)

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
So Apple are going to wait till Samsung can make them a screen for their new device?

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
I hope that they aren't going to persist in the myth that you loose weight by exercise with this watch and that it'll track your activity because it's been seen in even Olympic athletes that heavy activity is followed by heavy downtime periods and that most calories 75% or more are burn't keeping you alive whether you move or not. you have to exercise so much for minimal burn compared to just cutting out high calorie foods.

The iwatch is not an innovate product but a money crabbing exercise and i'll be disappointed the day apple release one and i hope it never comes in a 'Health Item' Guise.

This hiring is really worrying if it has anything to do with this guys actual job experience.

jeffmo

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
Fuelband looks good, but from what I can tell it's basically just a pedometer. If it had GPS and pulse monitoring for workout sessions, it'd be so much better.

iWatch isn't going to be just about competing with the Fuelband, but if it were, Apple could blow it out of the water so easily.

Instead, it's going to be a new category product - and it'll cost a lot more than $150.

True but I wonder what that new category entails. If it's a category for an active lifestyle, then a high price point would seem almost unjustifiable due to the number of excellent, lower cost selections out there that are constantly improving and seamlessly integrating in iOS. If it's a category for a fashion lifestyle, then the hard sell would be those premium materials. But IMO, it can't be both because would anyone want to actively exercise with a leather and metal watch attached to their wrist?

From my POV, they can either approach the active lifestyle or fashion one, but I just can't see how they'll cover both. But then again, that's why I'm a consumer and not a creator!

gmcalpin

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
Somerville, MA
This EXACT article was on Apple Insider yesterday morning. Macrumors needs to step up their game!
"Exact"? I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Anyway, the only article I could find on Apple Insider about Blahnik was a RUMOR about his hiring. This is a confirmation of it. Rumors and facts are two different things, you know?

Semester

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2011
It's cool to see more signs of the iWatch project. But this Blahnik does not seem like the guy who will make this product great. From what I can tell he does teleshopping gigs for "revolutionary" work-out machines, makes aerobics- and spinning-videos and holds lectures. He has also been a "consultant" for projects like Nike Fuelband. He probably had a couple of ideas for Nike and I'm sure he's a great fitness expert but I don't see that his contribution will mean a lot. I actually have a bit of a hard time seeing what he will do at Apple 40 hours a week.
I mean, it's not like they've hired another Mansfield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8bAW8C4EAI (Blahnik presents the "Nautilus One")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiQJovwuc7I (Blahnik does an indoor cycling program)

Last edited:

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Love my FuelBand. It's been one of those gadgets for me that's taken a beating but still functioned flawlessly and consistently. Its integration in 'iWatch' would be very awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.