Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a column at TechCrunch, MG Siegler adds his voice to the growing chorus of claims of Apple's plans to add a "gold" color option for its upcoming iPhone 5S, with information coming from his various sources. The report follows a parts leak last week that appeared to show photos of the gold/champagne casing for the iPhone 5S.
Yes, there will be a gold iPhone.

That's the latest I'm hearing from multiple sources after several weeks of rumors and possible component leaks suggesting the same thing. At first, I couldn't believe Apple would break from the tradition of offering the simple choice: black and white (or "slate" and "silver" if you prefer for the iPhone 5) for their flagship device. Gold simply seemed too gaudy, perhaps even tacky. But a few compelling arguments countered my disbelief. And now, upon checking, sure enough, there will be gold.
Siegler goes on to note that the gold rear shell that showed up in photos last week is said to be a somewhat inaccurate representation of the device's actual color, indicating that it will be "less 'gold' and more 'champagne'."

gold_iphone_5s_other_mockup.jpg
Mockup of iPhone 5S in "champagne" (Source: iMore)
As for why Apple is pursuing a gold iPhone option, Siegler points out that it could in part be a strategy to upsell customers in emerging markets where the lower-cost "iPhone 5C" is expected to be a significant player.
A number of folks have noted that a gold iPhone would likely do well in the Chinese and Indian markets as well, where the color is very popular. This is especially interesting given the talk about the "iPhone 5C" being key in these markets as well, with a presumed unsubsidized lower price-point. One line of thinking was that the lower-cost iPhone would all-but replace the higher cost one in these markets. But perhaps the gold option would still be enticing enough for some buyers to lure them to the higher end model. That's all pure speculation, of course.
Siegler's comments follow a research note from last week in which KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo stated that the iPhone 5S will be offered in a gold casing in addition to Apple's traditional white and black offerings. Another report from Japanese blog Mac Otakara stated that the iPhone 5S would come in a gold color as well, while also sharing additional information about the device.

Apple will reportedly unveil the next-generation iPhone on September 10, but it is still unclear whether the event will focus singularly on the iPhone 5S or include the announcement of the lower-cost iPhone as well.

Article Link: Claims of 'Champagne' Color Option for iPhone 5S Continue to Mount

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Can we all just agree to call this the Elvis phone?

elvis.jpg

Last edited:

xNYMetsx

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
Ah, yeah I get it. Make the 5C really look cheap and make the 5S look high class. (I still think the gold is going to look ugly.)

iWallace26

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Gold all in my chain, Gold all in watch, Gold all in my iphone, if you don't believe it just watch on september 10, 2013..

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
Champagne, yes; gold, no

Champagne is more subtle and under-stated; gold is just screaming Kardashian and Drunk Housewives of [fill in appropriate city].

moxin

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
wow! this mockup do look better than that mustard one we saw earlier.

macnisse

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Wonder if the macbooks/imacs will have a golden option too, perhaps for ultimate configurations?

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
This seems like one of those things that won't happen and will end up on rumor misses after the presentation. Then we'll all talk about how stupid it was and forget about it.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
A new level of tackiness for the iPhone. Gold, seriously?
What are they thinking?

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I think any of their current iPod Touch color choices would have been a nice addition. It'll be interesting to see how this champagne color turns out IRL.

Anywho, I'm debating on whether to go with the white/silver or black/slate for myself. My 5 and 4S were white. My 4 (I think?) and 3GS were black. Tough choice!

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
So because the gold colour is popular in China and India, does that mean the Finnish and Swedes get a Cyan and Yellow iPhone 5s as well?

Oh wait, they have to buy the iPhone 5c :rolleyes:

m828s

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2009
I despise gold-colored anything. I find it gaudy. Trashy. Preferably outside my line of sight at all times.

This champagne color, however, could be very classy. We'll have to wait and see.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
I'll save my final judgement for when I see it, but it just sounds like a terrible idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.