Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has asked Foxconn to begin shipping new high-end and low-end iPhones in early September, claims The Wall Street Journal. The report echoes previous rumors that Apple will release a new iPhone 5S and a lower-cost iPhone 5C that comes with a plastic back available in numerous colors.

low_cost_iphone_render_colors-800x450.jpg
Rendering of low-cost iPhone
Apple Inc. has asked assembler Hon Hai Precision Industry Co. to begin shipping both a new high-end and low-end iPhone in early September, people familiar with the matter said.

Apple's suppliers in Asia started mass-producing components in June for both a standard iPhone featuring a metal casing and a lower-cost version, people who work at those companies said.
Apple is expected to unveil the iPhone 5S and 5C at a media event on September 10th, alongside the final unveiling of the iOS 7 operating system.

Article Link: Apple Asks Foxconn to Ship High and Low-End iPhones in Early September

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
I have a feeling apple might release new iPhones immediately after the announcement on September 10th...maybe just wishful thinking

aswiec

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2011
This might be a stupid question, but why can't someone just talk to a worker on the assembly line and get new information on the iPhone?

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
tumblr_mpzttwaVU91sp9fcho1_500.gif

What does that mean "shipping in early September"? Anyone know?

That means that they've asked Foxconn to start shipping the palettes of iPhone 5S and 5C to Apple warehouses and distributors for a launch sometime in September after the announcement. Basically they are deploying the massive quantities of the iPhone to where they need to be for launch, whether that is warehouses for Apple, Verizon, Spring, AT&T, T-Mobile, or other worldwide carriers/distributor warehouses. These phones have been assembled for probably a few weeks and have been packaged/boxed and put on palettes. I'd love to see Foxconn's warehouse and their stock of this stuff and then the massive truck rollout to the airports and shipping companies.

----------

This might be a stupid question, but why can't someone just talk to a worker on the assembly line and get new information on the iPhone?

Go ahead and walk into Foxconn if you can. It's a fortress city. And no employee there is going to risk their job. It's actually good pay and benefits for that nation.

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
maybe apple should ask their suppliers about the freaking macbook pro.

That is what I'm waiting for...want to compare them to airs and then purchase either 13" rMBP or Air probably rMBP and sell my '09 core 2 duo iMac

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Anyone else want to bet that it ain't happening on these forums? I'm trying to make a quick buck.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So the iPhone will start shipping in mid to late September. Wow color me surprised. :eek:

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Mark my words iPhone 5c is going to sell like freaking wild fire. Every kid is going to want a colored iPhone.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
Time for me to retire my sg2 and get my first iPhone. I am so over android and their "updates".

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Good. Get these modestly upgraded (or downgraded in the case of the 5C) iPhones out of the way of the redesigned iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.