Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Between July 2012 and June 2013, 20% of Apple's customers came from the Android operating system and 7% of Samsung's new customers during the time period switched from an iOS device, according to a new report from CIRP.

The majority of iPhone purchases came from customers who previously owned an iPhone, with 42% of customers already in Apple's ecosystem. The same holds true for Samsung, with 43% of former Android customers choosing to stick with the Android platform.

previousos.jpg
Both companies attracted former basic phone users, though Samsung attracted a good deal more at 37% vs. Apple's 26%. New phone buyers were more likely to choose a Samsung phone.

When taking into account only customers who switched brands, 33% of Apple's new customers came from Samsung, while just 11% of Samsung's new customers came from Apple. Samsung attracted more customers from HTC, Motorola, and Nokia, while Apple garnered more BlackBerry users.

brandswitch.jpg
The study also found that customers who purchased iPhones tended to be younger than those who purchased Samsung phones. 69% of those that bought an iPhone were between the ages of 18 and 34 compared to only 64% of Samsung buyers. Apple buyers had a slightly higher income, with 38% reporting an income over $75,000 compared to 29% of Samsung buyers. 48% of Apple buyers also had a college degree, compared to 32% of Samsung buyers.

CIRP's data comes from four quarterly surveys between July 2012 and June 2013, and with each survey, 500 subjects who purchased a mobile phone in the preceding 90 days were queried.

Article Link: 20% of Apple iPhone Customers Switched from Android, 7% of Samsung Buyers Switched from iOS

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
I can't explain why I am happy when I hear good news about apple .. That being said ... I do believe that the underdogs are making very decent phones these days and them being underdogs makes them try this much harder :)

Go apple

MonstaMash

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
I see it happen every day in my job. Honestly speaking, many customers are choosing Android simply due to the screen size. Many customers need the large size of the S3 or S4 due to their eyesight. Some choose it for productivity reasons.

It's sad seeing so many people leave iOS for such a trivial reason, and a reason that Apple could easily remedy.

Good to know that the Apple churn isn't as high as I thought though. 7% isn't terrible, but it is something Apple could fix by diversifying their product line with more options.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
It's not surprising that a lot of people buying their first smart phone would choose Samsung/Android. Many purchase primarily based on price and what the workers in the carrier stores sway them towards.

Once they've owned Samsung/Android I'd guess many either give up and don't use the 'smart' features of the phone (thus the disproportionately lower web usage numbers despite market share) or switch to iPhones. I wonder what demographic is going from iPhones to Samsung/Android?

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
So the smart money is on Apple! Nice...

And NO, they don't need to produce a giant screen size just to appease/appeal to a certain segment.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Apple buyers had a slightly higher income, with 38% reporting an income over $75,000 compared to 29% of Samsung buyers. 48% of Apple buyers also had a college degree, compared to 32% of Samsung buyers.
Well, that could explain a lot...

To be honest, I'm quite surprised at the number of people coming from Android, though. There seems to be so much more "that's it, I'm going to Samsung!" posts than "I'm climbing aboard the Mothership." posts.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
I'm actually surprised so many choose Samsung. If I were to pick an Android phone, it would be a Google Nexus 4 or Moto X. Those huge, plastic Samsung Galaxy S's where you're updated at Samsung's whim... Uggh.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Out of curiosity, why do you say that is as if your favorite sports team has just one something, or as if you've accomplished something personally?
More like he's just delighted that there's more hard evidence to back up what virtually everyone has been downplaying for the last year. *stares

jycr753

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2013
CPH
RIP to apple

Well this is good news, but I do actually feel kinda disappointed since apple will make a low end phone. Apple is changing all his values and trading it for market share, just for selling a low end phone, even tho there is such thing now, it is call iphone 4, which it has a great quality... so right now Steve Jobs is really piss off looking at his company signing his own for sale sign...:eek:

sportsfan

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
I would guess a good number of people only buy their phones based on price, and do not care about the manufacturer or buying apps.

While as an Apple shareholder I would like those people to buy an Apple phone, I really do not consider these as a "win" for the competition as these customers provide no extra revenue after purchase/contract.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Well this is good news, but I do actually feel kinda disappointed since apple will make a low end phone. Apple is changing all his values and trading it for market share, just for selling a low end phone, even tho there is such thing now, it is call iphone 4, which it has a great quality... so right now Steve Jobs is really piss off looking at his company signing his own for sale sign...:eek:

What low end phone?

empire01

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2010
UK
Great IOS not so good screen

I've stuck with Apple because I much prefer IOS over Android. Having said that I hate the 16:9 form factor and wish they have retained the 4:3 form factor when they enlarged the screen.
I have a big investment in Apple iphone apps but just wish for a larger (not enormous) screen.
Not sure if I'm the exception here but hay ho.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

Sigh, let it go. It's better that more people can get an iPhone in their hands than it being known as a boutique item that not everyone can afford.

Another thing, let it go also Steve Jobs. For goodness sake, you don't know his MO and the man is dead. Sure, a dead is Pissed Off about how his previous company is marketing it's phones. :rolleyes:

jycr753

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2013
CPH
Sigh, let it go. It's better that more people can get an iPhone in their hands than it being known as a boutique item that not everyone can afford.

Another thing, let it go also Steve Jobs. For goodness sake, you don't know his MO and the man is dead. Sure, a dead is Pissed Off about how his previous company is marketing it's phones. :rolleyes:

I do understand the business model, and probably it is going to be a good thing for developers, a least when it comes to ad supported app, but only time will tell if it is a good move or not, but i'm absolutely getting a cheap iPhone to for going out and dont break again my iPhone :rolleyes:

----------

What low end phone?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324747104579022993954766508.html:D

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Hmm, I have to wonder about this. Back when Steve Jobs was in charge, Apple hadn't quite seen this problem with dropping profit margins develop. It's a nice thought to simply move the earlier iPhones into the cheaper segments, but that doesn't make them any cheaper to build. I wonder what he would have done here. I think chances are that things wouldn't have been all too different.

One other option might be to sell the 5S even more expensive than the 5's introduction price, keep the 5 price, drop anything below 5 and then move on like that. That seems like a "bordering on too bold" Jobs move, but also what you might get from a guy with insane confidence in his products.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
I'd like to know how many iphone users went to htc one and the LG nexus 4. The HTC one seems like the hotest android device at the moment. S4 still seems like a great device but I agree that some of the touchwiz features are getting a little gimicky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.