Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vooblu

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
I was hoping bkonings would be able to try since he has all apple hardware + bootcamp (instead of a PC) which would eliminate any hardware issues.

I have a thunderbolt PC motherboard + cable ready to go but I'm skeptical since the update was for target disk mode (not target display mode), so I have a feeling it still won't work.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
So, even after the update my imac won't enable Target display mode if my retina macbook pro is running Windows 8.

Arrrrrghh, Apple needs to fix this, it's ridiculous! It almost looks like Apple wants the thunderbolt standard to fail. :(

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I have a question. I have a macbook air 13" with win7 installed through bootcamp. i have a thunderbolt cable. When i connect them i press cmd+f2 i believe and i use my imac as the screen on macos. Can i do that, or what i should do to use my imac screen when im on windows 7 in macbook air?

Last edited:

PJM82

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2013
United Kingdom
I have a question. I have a macbook air 13" with win7 installed through bootcamp. i have a thunderbolt cable. When i connect them i press cmd+f2 i believe and i use my imac as the screen on macos. Can i do that, or what i should do to use my imac screen when im on windows 7 in macbook air?

See above - it doesn't appear to work in Windows - which sucks.

r0bly0ns

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
macbook running windows in bootcamp *is* possible (Apprently)

I realise it doesn't help the OP, but according to the below link a macbook running bootcamp will work, but you have to first enable target display mode with the macbook in OSx before rebooting in bootcamp.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3924

I will be testing this when my thunderbolt cable arrives...

fjoesne

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2013
I just got a new motherbord for my PC, a Asus Z87 Expert, my initial attempts were unsuccessful, now I am away from home but have time to do some research, and this thread is the best I have found on this issue.

It seems to me that Apple has made some sort of incompatability safety for this feature. some sort of scorched earth tactic maybe..

Anyway any news or new ideas to bypass this issue?

----
edit:

found this in the above link:

Can I use the iMac in TDM as a display for my gaming console, DVD player, or other device?
The Mini DisplayPort or ThunderBolt port on a supported iMac can receive only DisplayPort or Thunderbolt compliant video and audio signals. Converters not made by Apple may provide options to convert other electrical, video, and audio protocols to Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt compliant signals

I got something for mini DP, but I cannot imagine it being compatible with Thunderbolt. In any case, seems they are suggesting that it is possible to work around it. Atleast they recognize the possible solution to this issue by "Converters not made by Apple" :)

Last edited:

DLary

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2005
If I could use a new iMac as a target display for a PC like I do with my mid 2010 iMac. I would buy one now. I am stuck waiting to see if the new Haswell motherboards with onboard Thunderbolt might be compatible with the new Haswell based iMacs. If that doesn't work, I will look at the new Mac Pro (probably too expensive) or a Hackintosh setup. I'm not sure why Apple disabled the target display mode for PC's with displayport . I thought it was a very useful feature. According to Intel, the thunderbolt standard is supposed to be compatible with existing display port devices. It seems that Apple took extra effort to disable this capability.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
i Have the 2011 Thunderbolt iMac, im building a gaming PC with this Motherboard

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...-s-sata-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-hdmi-mini-displayp

which has 2xThunderbolt and expressly has video out for the Haswell GPU, ill test it on the iMac and let people know if it works once its built (the primary monitor is going to be a Nvidia 3D approved one for gaming, but i don't see harm in trying out thunderbolt for the forum once the rig is built)

i may even try the lucid MVP software or whatever it is that allows the discreet graphics to be passed through the on chip GPU if its available for this board and GPU combo

cnjimmyshao

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2013
i Have the 2011 Thunderbolt iMac, im building a gaming PC with this Motherboard

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...-s-sata-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-hdmi-mini-displayp

which has 2xThunderbolt and expressly has video out for the Haswell GPU, ill test it on the iMac and let people know if it works once its built (the primary monitor is going to be a Nvidia 3D approved one for gaming, but i don't see harm in trying out thunderbolt for the forum once the rig is built)

i may even try the lucid MVP software or whatever it is that allows the discreet graphics to be passed through the on chip GPU if its available for this board and GPU combo

I have a similar motherboard as you, asus p8z87-Expert ( http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87EXPERT/ ). it has one thunderbolt.

I tried different ways to use imac(2011 with thunderbolt) as the extender monitor in windows 8 with p8z87-expert, but all failed. however it's ok to connect a regular dell monitor though thunderbolt->dvi method.

The PC does find new hardware(you can hear the warning sound) when connet/diconnect imac though thunderbolt, but the PC just dosnt recognize imac as a monitor.

And i did some research about the lucid MVP software, seems unless asus integrated the software solution into the bios, there is noway to output the video though the thunderbolt to iMAC.
(lucid MVP does supported some earily asus motherboard, check the list here: http://www.lucidlogix.com/mvp-product-list.shtml. However, the current motherboard Z87 not on the list yet.)

There must be a driver missing that make PC not recognize iMAC as a monitor, And the missing driver can be found in the lucid MVP solution.

So, only if someone can figure out how the lucid MVP software output the video data, the way to drive the iMAC as a monitor, otherwise, what we can do is sit and wait Apple to release the driver for windows, which is seems hopelessssss....

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
i am going to try just using the GPU on the Haswell chip outputting via thunderbolt as a first port of test, this "should" get the iMac to display but ONLY if the iMac in target display mode acts the same as a Thunderbolt Monitor.

I have the Boot Camp drivers ready to install under windows on the PC, this "should" cover any apple proprietary drivers for the ports on the iMac (card reader, Camera, USB ports, etc.

Probably wont be assembling this PC until some time in October now, work just doesn't permit me the time between now and then

Update : Lucids site doesnt mention special BIOS needed, http://www.lucidlogix.com/index.html just that it needs an intel CPU with an HD4000 or better GPU in it.

Last edited:

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
cool thing would be if one of those Shuttle mini PCs can output to the iMac screen...any GTX6xx or 7xx GPU in it and the gaming problem on Mac is solved :)

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Built PC, EVERYTHING else works fine, but, the iMac will not switch to Target Display mode. the PC DOES see the iMac as a disk in target disk mode, so the "fault" lies with apple and it crippling the thunderbolt standard to only allow Apple devices to connect.

PC Does connect to an apple Thunderbolt display, and the iMac does work as a display for a MAc Mini .

my guess is anyone who has gotten an iMac to work as a display for a windows PC is connecting to an older Display Port equipped iMac, not a thunderbolt one.

And so this officially ends my purchasing of Apple Equipment going forward, i had to build the PC because the new mac pro is not fit for purpose , and i might as well buy a top of the line monitor or three now i cant use the iMac as a display.

DLary

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2005
Thanks for giving it a shot. Did you try this using OSX or just Windows? If it works with OSX and not Windows, I guess it could be a software driver issue instead of a hardware issue. I don't see what apple gains by disabling the target display mode with thunderbolt. I plan on replacing my PC motherboard with a Haswell Thunderbolt board and giving it a go. If it doesn't work I guess a new monitor and a Hackintosh may be in my future.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I really wonder how or why they changed this from the pre-thunderbolt iMacs. It would seem like such a good feature. There must be something in the internals of the TB connection that is causing the issue and Apple should fix it!

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
here's what I've been able to find out since I've been wanting to use my work HP laptop (DisplayPort) to my 2012 iMac, but doesn't look possible

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5522#4

4. Thunderbolt ports
Thunderbolt is a revolutionary I/O technology that supports high-resolution displays and high-performance data devices through a single, compact port.
Thunderbolt digital video output
The iMac (Late 2012 and later) computers have two Thunderbolt ports that support:

Mini DisplayPort output using a Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable (optional)
DVI output using a Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (optional)
VGA output using a Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (optional)
Dual-Link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter. Supports 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display (optional)
HDMI audio and video output using a third-party Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter
Target Display Mode. In this mode your iMac can serve as a display for another Mac. This is supported via the Thunderbolt port using a Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt cable (not supported via a Mini DisplayPort cable)

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
In fact I am going to sell my beautiful 27" iMac because of this crippling issue. I need to run some programs on Windows and Paralells doesn't cut it when it comes to CPU intensive stuff.

I might just get a Mac Mini down the road once Apple updates it and then use it with a KVM switch.

Bad design decisions from Apple can get on your nerves sometimes.

floobie

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
Canada
Pardon the thread bump, but I'm wondering if there has been any progress on this issue.

Like the OP, I'd love to be able to use my late 2012 iMac as a display for a gaming PC. I don't have space for another monitor, and I'd really rather use the gorgeous display on my iMac anyway. But, it sounds like getting this all to work is impossible.

First I realized that no discrete GPU has a Thunderbolt output, meaning I'd have to find a way to use a motherboard's Thunderbolt output instead. Then I found Lucid MVP software that enables just that.

Then, of course, I found this thread, and learned that even if the above works, the iMac won't enter target display mode if it's connected to a Windows PC.

*sigh*

I was really warming up to the idea...

vooblu

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Pardon the thread bump, but I'm wondering if there has been any progress on this issue.

No further progress unfortunately. I haven't tried it recently but there have been no software updates which would indicate that this is now possible. Nothing has been mentioned in Yosemite either, so it seems like a restriction which will be around for quite some time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.