Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that it will be making changes to its affiliate program for its digital content stores, bringing on a new partner to help expand participation to new countries. Under Apple's affiliate programs, participants can earn commissions on revenue generated through links to the iTunes Store, App Store, Mac App Store, and iBookstore in various countries. The program also provides a number of tools to help website owners add digital content from Apple to their sites.

apple_affiliate_program.jpg
The existing program uses four separate affiliate networks to provide coverage for a number of countries:

- LinkShare: United States, Canada and Mexico
- Tradedoubler: Europe and Brazil
- LinkShare Japan: Japan
- dgm: Australia and New Zealand

The revised program is streamlined to just two affiliate networks, while also including a significant expansion in the number of countries where commissions are earned.
Performance Horizon Group (PHG): United States, Canada, Mexico, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Russia, Turkey, and many countries in Asia, the Middle East, and Africa

Tradedoubler: Europe and South America
Notably, program participants currently registered for the LinkShare, LinkShare Japan, and/or dgm networks will need to set up a new account with PHG and update their links by October 1 in order to continue receiving commissions. Additional information is available on Apple's Affiliate Resources page.

Article Link: Apple Revamping Affiliate Program for Digital Content Stores with New Networks and New Countries

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I wasn't even aware Apple had an affiliate program. I better sign up now, my website will love this! (Well, I'll love it... the users won't even know :p)

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Good riddance Linkshare. They are terrible.

Yeah, never cared much for LinkShare at all.

I remember back in the 90's, you'd install this tool bar that would display advertisements and you'd get paid. I think it was the only legit service out there. I made like 80 bucks until they either got shutdown or quit.

Can't seem to find any other ones out there like that.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Can anyone give some insight into the profitability of the Affliate program? How does it work? What's the pay schedule? Thinks like that.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Can anyone give some insight into the profitability of the Affliate program? How does it work? What's the pay schedule? Thinks like that.

Depends on your website. Sometimes it can be a steady income, sometimes you have to try really hard to make a few cents a month.

How does it work? Well, you generally have to have a website. A review blog, an Apple blog, or a general blog about movies, TV, etc. Or you can have it so on your forum, every link to iTunes has your affiliate link attached.

This might give you an idea of the choices they give you in promoting their stuff:
http://linkmaker.itunes.apple.com/us/

You have to hit $30 before they'll pay you. And it's a monthly thing.

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
With over 2000 links in database for linkshare this is not going to be a fun month!

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Depends on your website. Sometimes it can be a steady income, sometimes you have to try really hard to make a few cents a month.

How does it work? Well, you generally have to have a website. A review blog, an Apple blog, or a general blog about movies, TV, etc. Or you can have it so on your forum, every link to iTunes has your affiliate link attached.

This might give you an idea of the choices they give you in promoting their stuff:
http://linkmaker.itunes.apple.com/us/

You have to hit $30 before they'll pay you. And it's a monthly thing.
Thanks for the info. How about the way your compensation is calculated? Is it always a certain percentage?

invalidname

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
The thing that surprises a lot of people about the iTunes affil program is that you get a cut of everything a user buys on iTunes within a certain period after following the link. In the new program, it's 7% of 24 hours. So that means it actually makes sense to link to a free app, because the user may then buy a paid app (or, if you're lucky, Final Cut Pro X… see what I did there?)

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Can anyone confirm the payment scenario?
It looks like you have to reach a certain threshold PER country before you get paid. I don't think that was the same with linkshare?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.