Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Oops, sorry about that. Just saw the OPs location.

1.7 meters. :D

I took a measuring tape and measured 60 inches (the tape was 60 inches long) and still had a little less than 1 foot left. Not sure if the adapters outside of the US are different.

TreRep

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
Venice, ITALY
thank you very much to all :)

i ordered today my new macbook air 13

now i am working in my bedroom with my ikea galant desk....

so i will be able to attach the power adapter directly into the plug in the wall without using the ac cord right?

or is it better and safer with the supplementary ac cord?

luisito

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012
so i will be able to attach the power adapter directly into the plug in the wall without using the ac cord right?

or is it better and safer with the supplementary ac cord?

Yes, you can use the adapter directly into the wall plug.

The supplementary cable serves 2 purposes, first, it is an extension cord incase the cable from the adapter is not long enough and second, most importantly, that cable grounds the computer due to the 3rd pin.

The adapter by itself has no ground.

luisito

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012
so it is a lot better to use it with the ground connector.... :(

It is better in the name of safety, but it also depends on your particular circumstances.

I live on a place that doesn't have thunderstorms nor electric spikes, power surges, thus I am not at risk of electrocuting myself, so I never use the extension cord, most people don't use the extension cord.

In case of a problem, the Apple adapter will blow up, but your computer will be protected, that is its job, to reduce/filter the amount of electricity that gets directed to your computer.

There are some other ways of going around this if safety is your concern, get a surge protector/adapter. Most people have one of this for connecting a lot of electronics at their desks.

mattferg

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2013
Yes, you can use the adapter directly into the wall plug.

The supplementary cable serves 2 purposes, first, it is an extension cord incase the cable from the adapter is not long enough and second, most importantly, that cable grounds the computer due to the 3rd pin.

The adapter by itself has no ground.

Only in the US. In other countries (or at least the UK) both the extension cable and the adapter that plugs directly into the wall are grounded.

Although I do notice that the Italian adapter is not grounded and the cable is... is it only the UK that has a grounded charger no matter what?

luisito

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012
Only in the US. In other countries (or at least the UK) both the extension cable and the adapter that plugs directly into the wall are grounded.

I've been deceived my entire life!
That is not fair! Haha.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Dosnt matter if the extension is used or not the ground dosnt actually do anything as it's not connected to the adaptor in any way

luisito

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012
Dosnt matter if the extension is used or not the ground dosnt actually do anything as it's not connected to the adaptor in any way

Not quite true.

Ground is connected through the metal disk. If you take a look at the cable itself, there are latches that grab unto the metal disk for ground purposes.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Not quite true.

Ground is connected through the metal disk. If you take a look at the cable itself, there are latches that grab unto the metal disk for ground purposes.

Where it terminates and does nothing. The adapter is dc and earth is not used

luisito

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012
Where it terminates and does nothing. The adapter is dc and earth is not used

Let me help you. Do you see where the metal disc goes? There are 2 metal latches that ground the adapter through the extension cord.

top-original-60w-85w-45w-apple-power-adapter.jpg

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Let me help you. Do you see where the metal disc goes? There are 2 metal latches that ground the adapter through the extension cord.

I have one sat here. The earth terminates at the disk and does nothing!

As you can see from the pictures. The disk does not pass through the plastic so the adaptor is NOT earthed in any way!

Images from indestructibles.com

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 170

luisito

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012
I have one sat here. The earth terminates at the disk and does nothing!

As you can see from the pictures. The disk does not pass through the plastic so the adaptor is NOT earthed in any way!

Images from indestructibles.com

I believe that it is my duty to Educate you on Apple Magsafe Power Adaptors, and to put a stop to this before you confuse any other users.

First.

You forgot to add 1 important picture from instructables. If you zoom in, you can see a black cable coming out of that white "plastic" you talked about. You know, angle is everything! (Every time I refer to "plastic", I am referring to the plastic that you claim covers the metal disc completely not allowing for a ground connection).

FB137LFGRKEATJE.jpg

Second.

Here are some beautiful pictures of the black cable that comes out from the "plastic" which is connected to the AC adapter through the metal disk. If a DC cable (provided by Apple) is used, then you adapter is grounded! Wow! Note that the last picture is the best.

4sfwuo.png

214pdkx.png

oiekux.png

Not yet convinced? Don't worry, I got you covered. I got the screenshots between 4 and 5 minutes.

Try watching the YouTube video!!
Here.

Third.

Logic, always put logic before all things.
Why would Apple waste money on adding a 3rd pin on their cable extension cord? Because if your claim were to be true, then it would be pointless. :eek:

Forth.

The magsafe pin, either 1 or 2, or T or L, however you wish to call it, has 2 ground pins, the outermost pins.

24xgbwi.png

Screenshot taken fro Wikipedia without permission from the owner. Muahahah! Wikipedia. But I am quoting it, though!

I hope that this has helped you extend your knowledge on Apple Adapters; for next time, please do more research before grabbing the first pictures that you find on the web.

Questions welcomed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.