Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-tool-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
I've got a Macbook Air 11" late 2010, model A1370.
The owner spilled water all over the keyboard, after that went to the kitchen looking for paper towel (macbook on and at the table). Cleaned the water and closed the macbook.

After that woke from sleep but keyboard / touchpad were sloppy. He manage to turn it off and use a bathroom dryer.

After that 1 week on rice and two weeks on dehumifcator. Magsafe lights works ok but don't turn on.

6 month ago I toke it half apart (waiting for the pentalobe screwdriver).

When I have spare time I'll try to remove keyboard and clean it.

There's a way to power on the MBA without the keyboard?

I'm not sure what pins to bridge.

Thanks.
KQwEc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

-tool-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Would be great if someone knows what pins I have to short to boot without keyboard.

billanddave

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
I may have found your solution

Hi,

I just ran into this same problem in our shop with a clients 11" Macbook Air.

I removed the logic board and underneath the keyboard connector (On the underside of the board) I noticed 2 solder points with the word PWRBTN printed in the board besid them,

After I clean this board I am going to try jumping those pins and I will post the result.

-Dave

billanddave

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
Update!!

Just an update,

YES these pins that i spoke of above are the power jumper,

The points on exactly the other side of these 2 solder points work as well to jump the computer on without the keyboard/power button.

-Dave

Last edited:

billanddave

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
It booted!

Yes, It booted up right into the OS.

You can jump it with the same two contacts on the upper side of the board.

I took your pic and circled the contacts.

You will need to make sure that the board is 100% cleaned of all corrosion and shorts before you attempt to turn it on. Also unplug any other hardware that is plugged into it like the battery, and keyboard. I even removed the SSD and wireless before I tried it the first time. We plugged it into power from the adapter then turned it on. The reason we unplugged the battery is that in many cases water damage can cause the battery not to function properly and it needs replacing, sometimes, not letting the computer power on with it connected. There was also still water on the battery when they got it to us.

I think in this case the battery may be okay, The client was not trying to turn it on like most people would. We are drying it out in a warm area while waiting for the keyboard.

Be VERY Careful

I made sure the SSD was clean and re-isntalled it and jumped the computer again and it booted up into the OS.

I have now ordered a keyboard and by the end of the week our client will have their computer back up and running without having to spend thousands on a new machine! :D

-Dave

dtjay7

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2008
N. CA
Thank you so much, I came across this thread several days ago and wanted the same information but saw there had not been a response. It is very helpful that you posted that information.

Yes, It booted up right into the OS.

You can jump it with the same two contacts on the upper side of the board.

I took your pic and circled the contacts.

You will need to make sure that the board is 100% cleaned of all corrosion and shorts before you attempt to turn it on. Also unplug any other hardware that is plugged into it like the battery, and keyboard. I even removed the SSD and wireless before I tried it the first time. We plugged it into power from the adapter then turned it on. The reason we unplugged the battery is that in many cases water damage can cause the battery not to function properly and it needs replacing, sometimes, not letting the computer power on with it connected. There was also still water on the battery when they got it to us.

I think in this case the battery may be okay, The client was not trying to turn it on like most people would. We are drying it out in a warm area while waiting for the keyboard.

Be VERY Careful

I made sure the SSD was clean and re-isntalled it and jumped the computer again and it booted up into the OS.

I have now ordered a keyboard and by the end of the week our client will have their computer back up and running without having to spend thousands on a new machine! :D

[url=http://www.billanddave.ca/images/KQwEc.jpg]Image[/URL]

-Dave

billanddave

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
I've got a Macbook Air 11" late 2010, model A1370.
The owner spilled water all over the keyboard, after that went to the kitchen looking for paper towel (macbook on and at the table). Cleaned the water and closed the macbook.

After that woke from sleep but keyboard / touchpad were sloppy. He manage to turn it off and use a bathroom dryer.

After that 1 week on rice and two weeks on dehumifcator. Magsafe lights works ok but don't turn on.

6 month ago I toke it half apart (waiting for the pentalobe screwdriver).

When I have spare time I'll try to remove keyboard and clean it.

There's a way to power on the MBA without the keyboard?

I'm not sure what pins to bridge.

Thanks.
KQwEc.jpg

Did you get your problem sorted out?

-Dave

rikstaparr

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2010
Fixed?

I have a MBA A1370 that wouldn't power on at all. I have jumped the pins as shown above with the keyboard and battery disconnected and it boots. I then powered off, re-connected the keyboard and it again booted ok. I finally shut down one more time and re-connected the battery and again booted ok when jumping the pins. So before I start to buy replacement parts, will replacing the keyboard fix this and it will boot normally by pressing the power button? I'm unsure as the MBA keyboard works fine when bridging the connection, but it will still not power on normally.

Thanks in advance.

Rik

billanddave

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
Should work, Just confirm all else does

I have a MBA A1370 that wouldn't power on at all. I have jumped the pins as shown above with the keyboard and battery disconnected and it boots. I then powered off, re-connected the keyboard and it again booted ok. I finally shut down one more time and re-connected the battery and again booted ok when jumping the pins. So before I start to buy replacement parts, will replacing the keyboard fix this and it will boot normally by pressing the power button? I'm unsure as the MBA keyboard works fine when bridging the connection, but it will still not power on normally.

Thanks in advance.

Rik

It should work without a hitch, make sure ANY corrosion and damages have been cleaned. I always confirm that the LCD is working as well and it boots up into the desktop. (be careful not to short anything with the computer on and open). You also may want to confirm that the computer boots from a charged battery and that it will actually charge the battery, Some would rather not have it repaired if the battery will not charge.

Replacing the keyboard will return power button functionality and everything should be okay.

Again, make sure to clean everything accordingly and try to remove any rust you find without damaging components. Rust over time will corrode the metals and the computer could fail at any time. We offer no warranty on water damage repair, due to its corrosive nature.

Of course, feel free to ask if you have any more questions!:)

-Dave
Bill & Dave Computer Repair (Ottawa, ON)

billanddave

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
No Rice!! No Rice!! No Rice!! No Rice !!!!!

I would also like to add that the RICE method is merely a MYTH.

Apple designed these computers with the power button integrated on the keyboard. If they did not, most would be unrepairable because people try and try and try to turn them on. Because the keyboard doesn't work, they can try all they want and no power is doing damages.

The only benefit to putting a wet device in rice would be that you are NOT Trying to turn it on!

If you you get any electronic device wet(phone, tablet, computer, GPS, remote control) do the following:

1. TURN IT OFF IMMEDIATELY!! (If it is already off: DON'T TRY TO TURN IT ON! You need to resist the urge to see if it still works)

2. Remove the battery if possible

3. Take the device to be professionally cleaned or repaired OR if you have the knowledge, do so yourself.

An electronic device can be wet without issues, but as soon as you add power, then you cause all sorts of damages.

We are going to have a page built on our domain and a video on YouTube in an effort to DEBUNK this load of BS from internet searches. People need to use common sense instead of believing everything they read. Just because one or two people may have had success doesn't mean its the same all around. They also don't usually mention how wet it got and long the device actually lasted afterwards, probably just long enough to backup their data.

We are also going to ask the forum if we can link back to it from the posts here that deal with water damages.

We are not trying to be rude or make anyone feel bad, we just want to help.

99% of devices in our shop who have had the "RICE TREATMENT" are not repairable. 80% off device in our shop who have had the "RICE TREATMENT" still have water inside them when we take them apart.

100% of wet devices who are brought to us immediately leave our shop in full working order. (this is mainly customers whom we have already gave this speech to)

Again,

1. TURN IT OFF, (If it is off, RESIST the urge to see if it works by turning it on)
3. Seek professional repair

To give it some credit, technically the rice method MAY work if you sealed it in a Ziploc bag or airtight container and left it for months, the rice MAY absorb the most of the liquid, but we feel you would still need to take the device apart to be sure and dry it if it didn't. At that point, why not just do that in the first place!

We may just run a few experiments and post our results!

Hope this helps somebody out there! :D

-Dave

rikstaparr

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2010
Many thanks Dave

Thanks for the prompt response! The MBA is dry inside, there was a minimal spill on it and it appears to be ok. The battery charges ok too. LCD is ok and the whole functionality of the unit is OK. I shall replace the keyboard and post back. Many thanks for your help. :):apple:

rikstaparr

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2010
Keyboard Back Light

Ok, the replacement arrived today. I stripped down the MBA only to find that this model does not have a back light. The keyboard I have bought comes with a back light. I have looked EVERYWHERE and am unable to locate the right keyboard without the back light. Am I able to remove the back light from the replacement and the plastic cover between the back light and keyboard itself (White/Clear plastic) and it still work ok?

N00dles3

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2014
I would also like to add that the RICE method is merely a MYTH.

Apple designed these computers with the power button integrated on the keyboard. If they did not, most would be unrepairable because people try and try and try to turn them on. Because the keyboard doesn't work, they can try all they want and no power is doing damages.

The only benefit to putting a wet device in rice would be that you are NOT Trying to turn it on!

If you you get any electronic device wet(phone, tablet, computer, GPS, remote control) do the following:

1. TURN IT OFF IMMEDIATELY!! (If it is already off: DON'T TRY TO TURN IT ON! You need to resist the urge to see if it still works)

3. Take the device to be professionally cleaned or repaired OR if you have the knowledge, do so yourself.

An electronic device can be wet without issues, but as soon as you add power, then you cause all sorts of damages.

We are going to have a page built on our domain and a video on YouTube in an effort to DEBUNK this load of BS from internet searches. People need to use common sense instead of believing everything they read. Just because one or two people may have had success doesn't mean its the same all around. They also don't usually mention how wet it got and long the device actually lasted afterwards, probably just long enough to backup their data.

We are also going to ask the forum if we can link back to it from the posts here that deal with water damages.

We are not trying to be rude or make anyone feel bad, we just want to help.

99% of devices in our shop who have had the "RICE TREATMENT" are not repairable. 80% off device in our shop who have had the "RICE TREATMENT" still have water inside them when we take them apart.

100% of wet devices who are brought to us immediately leave our shop in full working order. (this is mainly customers whom we have already gave this speech to)

Again,

1. TURN IT OFF, (If it is off, RESIST the urge to see if it works by turning it on)
3. Seek professional repair

To give it some credit, technically the rice method MAY work if you sealed it in a Ziploc bag or airtight container and left it for months, the rice MAY absorb the most of the liquid, but we feel you would still need to take the device apart to be sure and dry it if it didn't. At that point, why not just do that in the first place!

We may just run a few experiments and post our results!

Hope this helps somebody out there! :D

-Dave

So I inherited a non working Macbook Air a1370 however I believe it is a Mid 2011 model.

I can't seem to find the solder points to jump the board. It doesn't look quite the same as pictured in this thread.

I know it had some wine spilled and that is why my friend gave it to me. The magsafe adapter is green and lights up but nothing will power up. I've taken it apart and cleaned it the best I can. If only I could get it to try and boot now.

Any ideas?

-tool-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Cleaned the laptop with isopropyl alcohol and booted fine shorting the two pins
Water just damaged the power-button of the keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.