Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
How many articles are we going to see about this? When you make a cheaper version of a great phone and start selling it to more people odds are good it's going to do well. I hope these analysts worked really hard on these projections.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
You're a fool to think decisions like this are based on one parameter. Market share IS important. Let me clue you in Skyler, I am not in danger. Ehh, I mean, let me clue you in, the main USP of the iPhone 5(S) is the ecosystem. The ecosystem cannot sustain without a decent marketshare. Thus, in order to maintain the most important USP for the iPhone 5S, Apple needs to release a cheaper iPhone.

Also, read this: Defending iOS with cheap iPhones

if Apple with come up with a computer made out of air being invisible then still this would make some people jump in the air shouting hallelujah...:)

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I'm not a troll. I've been using apple products for 12 years. I love apple and every product it's made. All I'm saying is that when Apple makes a product, it's made because it's meant to be a great quality/premium product for the consumer. Its made with unique great quality design, engineering and precision. It's made to enrich peoples loves. This iPhone 5C seems that it's just being made for the sole purpose of increasing market share for Apple. Last time I checked, Apple doesn't care about things like market share, they care about making world class products.
Ofcourse Apple cares about market share and they should. The reason why app quality on iOS is so high is because it has a relatively high market share. Without market share, apps would suck and your phone would suck too. iPhone = iOS = ecosystem = AppStore = quality user experience. A phone, an OS, an ecosystem, an AppStore, a quality user experience. Are you getting it yet? These are not five seperate things. They are one inseparable quality.

----------

if Apple with come up with a computer made out of air being invisible then still this would make some people jump in the air shouting hallelujah...:)

wat

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013

Only if it was the next Motorola Moto X that is already going to be offering a model with wood.

Wouldn't that just be copying another vendor? That's something that Apple Fans are crucifying every other mobile vendor for doing.

Is it now Okay for Apple to "Borrow" look and feel of other vendors. I guess you do what it takes when your market share is growing substantially lower than the competitions mobile OS.

Accept the fact. Apple is not an elite product anymore and many other vendors are putting out mobile phones with MORE CHOICE in screen sizes, colors and features.

Android OS is not the same experience it was in 2008 or even 2010. It has Flagship products that are getting great sales.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm not a troll. I've been using apple products for 12 years. I love apple and every product it's made. All I'm saying is that when Apple makes a product, it's made because it's meant to be a great quality/premium product for the consumer. Its made with unique great quality design, engineering and precision. It's made to enrich peoples loves. This iPhone 5C seems that it's just being made for the sole purpose of increasing market share for Apple. Last time I checked, Apple doesn't care about things like market share, they care about making world class products.

How do you know this phone won't be a "world class product"?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
All I'm saying is that when Apple makes a product, it's made because it's meant to be a great quality/premium product for the consumer. Its made with unique great quality design, engineering and precision. It's made to enrich peoples loves. This iPhone 5C seems that it's just being made for the sole purpose of increasing market share for Apple.

How is the iPhone 5C any different than all of the other times that Apple has introduced a lower cost entry into it's product lines?

Last time I checked, Apple doesn't care about things like market share, they care about making world class products.

Who did you check with? As pointed out multiple times, Steve Jobs had made statements that directly contradict that.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
“Market share is important and unit share is important,” Cook said. “But we’re all about customer experience and enriching lives.”

Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2013/04/23/a...-care-about-market-share/#UJaaL7dg3iTXO1OF.99

Yeah, right... :roll eyes: Plastic devices, bring them on! If things where really "simple" then Apple should just be honest here and accept that market share is what the shareholders of Apple are interested in, if plastic would 'enriching lives' then plastic it shall be.... it's that simple.

----------

Plastic is the metaphor for cheap. In within this context, yeah it's cheap all right.

This is exactly for the shareholders and not for what Apple wanted, so I agree with your post basically. Thinking a little outside the bix, this new cheaper iPhone will enrich more lives though, because simply... It will be cheaper at the initial price point, more people will have "Apple" in their hands. The iPhone iOS has more opportunity to gain now, family plans may be catered to this phone as well in certain cases. A new business model may actually have been layed out for this phone. All this is just my opinion, so it could be blah come September 10th...

Initial low buy, but with incremental pricing down the road could easily come to this poly iPhone. I'd bet they will be lower storage options and the cloud will be used/catered more for this phone than the iPhone 5S.

2 options are better than one... Both iPhones will sell well. This will hurt Microsoft's momemtum in the short-term, and gain back some of the market share in the mid to long-term that they lost recently to Android that they initially wanted.

Yes, this year, was a bad year so far after SJ passed, and no matter what, this poly iPhone probably needed to come out in the Fall of 2012(or even '11) and not next month.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
How many articles are we going to see about this? When you make a cheaper version of a great phone and start selling it to more people odds are good it's going to do well. I hope these analysts worked really hard on these projections.

I think bringing up cheaper models is a good thing. Despite Apple self proclaimed philosophy pretending that market share isn't important but making good products is it's pretty clear that marketshare is everything for Apple. I just get a bit annoyed when fanboys in general come up silly excuses when things go bad for Apple stating that market share isn't important and when Apple is aiming on market share stating it's a good thing in a sudden.

I hope Apple will come up with cheaper models Mac Pro's, the computers where I work on, I'm just interested in good working and powerful products, I'm not interested in the looks of any device or if it's thin. But for things other then used for desktop purposes and for stuff you bring along, like smartphones, tablets, iPods, laptops I do think plastic is quite inferior. This whole thing has nothing to do with making the best product any longer, but with aiming for the masses. Quantity over quality. I don't care, Steve would have, but can't.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Only if it was the next Motorola Moto X that is already going to be offered in wood.

Wouldn't that just be copying another vendor? That's something that Apple Fans are crucifying every other mobile vendor for doing.

Is it now Okay for Apple to "Borrow" look and feel of other vendors. I guess you do what it takes when your market share is growing substantially lower than the competitions mobile OS.

Accept the fact. Apple is not an elite product anymore and many other vendors are putting out mobile phones with MORE CHOICE in screen sizes, colors and features.

Android OS is not the same experience it was in 2008 or even 2010. It has Flagship products that are getting great sales.
Android itself is not the problem, the problem is that Android devices are available that is getting more and more popular and Apple isn't there. Of course Android is growing if Apple isn't there, but I don't think that's because of widgets and bigger screens...

edward.lin

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2013
Honestly, I am really sick and tried of hearing these news about iPhone 5c/5s over and over again...

Seriously though, iPhone 5c needs to be priced at a much cheaper price than the report suggested (at $486)...4000 RMB is still a lot of money for most folks here in China to shell out. 3000 RMB would be a huge hit.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Only if it was the next Motorola Moto X that is already going to be offered in wood.

I don't have to accept any fact. I buy and use what I like, what I need and what I want to.
Apple is not elite anymore ? Tough luck. I don't work for them so I won't lose any sleep on it.
Written from my Android phone.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I think bringing up cheaper models is a good thing. Despite Apple self proclaimed philosophy pretending that market share isn't important but making good products is it's pretty clear that marketshare is everything for Apple. I just get a bit annoyed when fanboys in general come up silly excuses when things go bad for Apple stating that market share isn't important and when Apple is aiming on market share stating it's a good thing in a sudden.
The thing is, Apple does want to make great products. But with great products comes great quality ecosystems. Tim Cook has been talking a lot about 'stickiness of the ecosystem'. He thinks that's important, and it is important.

Apple used to be: creating great hardware and software. Now it's more like: creating great hardware and software to make use of the ecosystem. The ecosystem itself has become the quality, and a good ecosystem requires decent market share.

If Apple didn't pursue market share, their products would become of less and less quality in the long run.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
The thing is, Apple does want to make great products. But with great products comes great quality ecosystems. Tim Cook has been talking a lot about 'stickiness of the ecosystem'. He thinks that's important, and it is important.

Apple used to be: creating great hardware and software. Now it's more like: creating great hardware and software to make use of the ecosystem. The ecosystem itself has become the quality, and a good ecosystem requires decent market share.

If Apple didn't pursue market share, their products would become of less and less quality in the long run.

Very well put.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
The c means china?

Yes, I bet that wan't lost on people at Apple, though they might not admit it for marketing reasons.

The reality is that China is the second largest economy in the world and is growing very quickly. Why shouldn't there be phones designed for their market?

Why can't these analysts wait to learn the actual price, specs, etc. before coming out with these projections? Of course they'd be complete BS anyway, but this really drives it home just how much BS is involved.

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
Wow, I think I have never seen a statistic that has been taken that much out of thin air...

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
This is exactly for the shareholders and not for what Apple wanted,

I think that's to easy, I don't go along with the much heard 'rumor' that Steve Jobs only cared about quality, not about quantity.

so I agree with your post basically. Thinking a little outside the bix, this new cheaper iPhone will enrich more lives though, because simply... It will be cheaper at the initial price point, more people will have "Apple" in their hands.

True! And I've no problems with that. Why should I? But I can only speak on own behalf, and I go for quality. Apple once stood for making only the best product possible. They clearly changed that path. That's not bad but worth noticing for sure. It's a giant chance in Apple's core philosophy, I'm just surprised to see people denying this.

The iPhone iOS has more opportunity to gain now, family plans may be catered to this phone as well in certain cases. A new business model may actually have been layed out for this phone. All this is just my opinion, so it could be blah come September 10th...

Fair enough! Time will tell indeed.

Initial low buy, but with incremental pricing down the road could easily come to this poly iPhone. I'd bet they will be lower storage optionsand the cloud will be used/catered more for this phone than the iPhone 5S.

2 options are better than one... Both iPhones will sell well. This will hurt Microsoft's momemtum in the short-term, and gain back some of the market share they lost recently to Android that they initially wanted.

Not sure about that, but again, time will tell. I don't mind Apple to become a small player once again, been using Apple products in the time that 'making the best computer possible' was Apple's core business and they focussed on specific groups. Now it has become a company making consumers products for the masses, the pro users have massively abandoned Apple. Sure, new ones have come onboard -of course- and yes -define- pro users. But I'm talking about the whole movie industry market, once you saw just Mac Pro's in studio's, and I happens to see a lot of professional studio's due of my work, and I don't see any Mac Pro any longer. Including the software, once they (Apple) had the lead in the editing market, also not anymore. I think that's a shame in a way... But the masses... I understand.

Yes, this year, was a bad year so far after SJ passed, and no matter what, this poly iPhone probably needed to come out in the Fall of 2012(or even '11) and not next month.

Sure. Well, another thing, I've an iPhone 5, I'm not considering buying the new 5S. This device works just fine, and with me I know lot's of people thinking the same. Why spending money on a new smartphone while the old one still works great? So that's why I don't expect new 'line-ups' in front of the Apple stores like they used to have.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
yet, another news dedicated to China...

news about the new iphone, fine

news about the new iphone for China, i don't care :rolleyes:

I am glad that Apple cares, I am glad that American based boards like Macrumors and (most of) their members care about what happens internationally, especially when you consider the fact that it would be impossible to contain a company like Apple to the US only.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Very well put.

Yeah, but from a 'fan' perspective, hardly objective. I know lot's of people that doesn't care at all about Apple's so called eco system. It's not a thing for them to consider to step over to Apple products. It's the believe of mainly Apple users, me included, that Apple eco system is kinda cool.... But I'm not that dogmatic to shout that it's the only best towards friends I've because it's not. There are other very good working eco systems as well, but being able to see this one can't be dogmatic about what's good or what isn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.