Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

signatus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Andalucía, Spain
Hi there!

Being new to Apple, I don't know if this is normal or not. When I open a pdf file with safari (as a link on a web page), Safari goes very slow, and spends too long to read the file. Is this normal, or do I have to install any plugin to make it faster?
It doesn't happen with Firefox, btw.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
can you go into more detail?

do you mean the whole of safari slows, or just seems to be slower when you are actively reading the pdf
and what do you mean 'read' the file - as in download?

signatus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Andalucía, Spain
The whole of Safari slows (the arrow changes into a spinning coloured circle) until the pdf file is actually open. Once it's open, there's no problem.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
The whole of Safari slows (the arrow changes into a spinning coloured circle) until the pdf file is actually open. Once it's open, there's no problem.

That is Safari loading the pdf, so the larger the pdf the worse the problem. There is an adobe plugin for safari however that is so much slower.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
That is Safari loading the pdf, so the larger the pdf the worse the problem. There is an adobe plugin for safari however that is so much slower.
DO NOT use the adobe plugin - slow slow slow
i suppose youll just have to deal with it, i sometimes get that problem with flash heavy pages

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Either use Firefox or right click and download the PDF. It's slow as it has to download the PDF because it can be opened; no many people optimize the PDF for fast web-viewing.

asimkine

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
solution for slow pdf in safari

just remove the AdobePDFViewer.plugin from the /library/internet plug-ins and your safari will surf again at light speed !

balmydrizzle

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
slow while viewing PDF

I got similar problem. After opening PDF, when I view a single large image enclosed in a single page PDF, it's smoothy while I pan & zoom under iOS 3.2. But now under iOS 4, it's no more smoothy. Can I tune Safari to make it smoothy again?

PrimeMatrix

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
just remove the AdobePDFViewer.plugin from the /library/internet plug-ins and your safari will surf again at light speed !

I know this thread is slightly antiquated, but I was having this issue too, and then I followed the instructions here, and removed the plugin, (there was actually another plugin that was something like AdobePDFViewerANAPI.plugin, which I also removed, just to be sure) and it is indeed lightning fast again. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.