Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
Interview process for ____? I'm assuming at home advisor since that seems to be the new hotness around these parts.

For what it's worth this was my experience when I was hired in as Genius several years ago...

1. Submit resume through online portal
  2. Got a call about a week later asking me to come in for an interview
  3. Arrived at interview at the retail store, met the store manager, an assistant manager and the lead Genius. We walked down to the foodcourt and grabbed a table. I was asked about technical experience (I was currently at an AASP), empathy, how to handle customer objections, how to find ways to say "Yes", work ethic, knowledge of Apple, etc. They left me with a short technical aptitude quiz (What does DNS stand for? An iMac won't power on, what do you try first? etc) that I filled out and returned to them 10 minutes later.
  4. Got the call from the store manager about a week after the interview with a job offer to start about two weeks later.
  5. Started, flew out to training a few months later and loved the job for a few years.

It's worth noting that I had two friends (both ex-coworkers) that were currently at Apple. They had both said to dress casually (not sloppy) for the interview, so I wore my regular "nice" jeans, an untucked (but not long) polo shirt and sneakers. Later found out that the lead said "We're hiring that guy" as soon as they left me alone to take the aptitude quiz. The deciding factors were that I didn't show up in a suit or dressed for an office job, I seemed to know my stuff and was a genuine Apple enthusiast and I had a cheerful but sincere disposition.

I think the big things are remember to ask questions, be excited, share personal stories, etc.

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
Posted in another thread but it seems to be a heavily searched topic. How did the interview process work for you? If you were hired, was there a period between calls/emails? At what phase does the Background Check come? What constitutes a 1st interview? Is it the phone call? Thanks!

1. Filled out application on Apple website, jobs link
2. Received call; had to send questionnaire back and then was contacted again: asking to describe what empathy was, explain to a customer what to do if iPhone screen is frozen, and description of hours entailed and overtime and weekend expectations -- set up 2nd FaceTime interview through email
3. FaceTime interview was punctual to the exact minute. Interviewer asked questions: Role Play if a student drops laptop and can't get it on right before exam, describe customer service experience, asked difference between RAM and Hard drive, what to do if email will not send or receive on phone, and difference between email servers POP and IMAP.. Interviewer asked if I knew the pay, expectations regarding days and hours, and wanted undivided attention with no prior or current obligation. (THAT WAS THIS MORNING. TOLD I WOULD HEAR "EITHER WAY" TUESDAY OR WEDNESDAY.) From what i have gathered, if they want you they set up the next interview immediately or send the "email" that day? Anyway, I took this as a negative approach and consider the process complete on their end.

What happens if i can't get a question right? oh no.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.