Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleTalker

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Hello. I was wondering which kind of IP i had, before i bother my ISP about which one i have i thought i'd ask here. When i searched on how to find it through terminal, this thread came up: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3664256?start=0&tstart=0

And the user saying the Terminal command to find this: http://gyazo.com/06c0c96aaf1ccd3c3aaf59fe877cad59

I followed his steps and when he said "Then parse the output looking for "Active Location: Yes" i had this in terminal: http://gyazo.com/2455a7d2db7999cc112cdf1d155d4467

But he said that if it said under "IPv4" section: "Configuration Method: DHCP" and i have under the Wifi section (I only use Wi-Fi) i have - "Configuration Method: DHCP" (http://gyazo.com/4f6abcfcec9f24e0be7119bd5c3dc2c2)

So do i have a static or dynamic IP address? I still don't get it :(

Any help would be appreciated :)

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
You have two IP addresses: the one used to connect your Mac to the wireless router (which is the one you see in Network preferences), and the one that your modem uses to connect to the outside world.

Both can vary.

AppleTalker

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
You have two IP addresses: the one used to connect your Mac to the wireless router (which is the one you see in Network preferences), and the one that your modem uses to connect to the outside world.

Both can vary.

Well, all my devices (windows laptop, imac, macbook pro,iphone and Ipad are using the same ip address, from same router. So if i press the reset button on my router will i get a new IP? Thanks. But i dont know anything about routers or like that.

From your guess would you say dynamic or static? I read that most people have dynamic IP's.

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
So if i press the reset button on my router will i get a new IP? Thanks.

Most likely yes. Getting a static IP address from an ISP usually always costs extra and usually is more for business accounts not residential accounts.

Last edited by a moderator:

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Well, all my devices (windows laptop, imac, macbook pro,iphone and Ipad are using the same ip address, from same router. So if i press the reset button on my router will i get a new IP?
From the modem/router outwards, into the rest of the world and the whole internet, you have one IP address.

Inside your own network, each device should have its own IP address on your local network, and that will be 192.168.1.x or 10.0.0.x.

But "the internet" can't tell which device you are using as you all have the same IP address from the modem outwards. This is actually a good security feature as there is no "direct" IP connection between the internet and your computer. The router is like a border control where everyone has to get off the bus and onto a different bus. But I digress.

Yes, your external IP address is likely to be dynamic.

AppleTalker

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
From the modem/router outwards, into the rest of the world and the whole internet, you have one IP address.

Inside your own network, each device should have its own IP address on your local network, and that will be 192.168.1.x or 10.0.0.x.

But "the internet" can't tell which device you are using as you all have the same IP address from the modem outwards. This is actually a good security feature as there is no "direct" IP connection between the internet and your computer. The router is like a border control where everyone has to get off the bus and onto a different bus. But I digress.

Yes, your external IP address is likely to be dynamic.

I don't even know what that means haha :/ I'm not THAT techy as most people are on here. So if i reset my router will i get a new IP address?

Verizon (my ISP) sent me a brand new router and every one of the codes where diffrent (WEP etc.) but when i looked up my IP it was still the same the old router had. But i know i have dynamic and that being set if i reset or unplug my router will all my computers and Idevices get a new IP? That is what i`m hoping will happen.

Thank you!

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Why do you need a new IP address?

The router should connect to the internet using one IP address automatically. You don't need to know it.
Similarly, your devices should connect to the router automatically, with the router supplying local network IP addresses.

I couldn't tell you what my IP address is right now -- either my Mac's local network IP or the "outward" facing IP to the internet. I have no need to know.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I don't even know what that means haha :/ I'm not THAT techy as most people are on here. So if i reset my router will i get a new IP address?

Verizon (my ISP) sent me a brand new router and every one of the codes where diffrent (WEP etc.) but when i looked up my IP it was still the same the old router had. But i know i have dynamic and that being set if i reset or unplug my router will all my computers and Idevices get a new IP? That is what i`m hoping will happen.

Thank you!

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to accomplish (?), but if Verizon is your ISP unless you are specifically paying (extra) for a fixed IP, you can just about bet it is dynamic.

That said, just because it is a dynamic IP, does not mean it will be changed when you unplug or reboot the modem/router. This depends on how the ISP is using DHCP.

For example, I use Time Warner Cable for Internet access and they use dynamic IP addresses. But I have had the exact same IP address for months and months. This is through power outages and modem resets from some recabling I did. It just stayed the same throughout.

AppleTalker

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to accomplish (?), but if Verizon is your ISP unless you are specifically paying (extra) for a fixed IP, you can just about bet it is dynamic.

That said, just because it is a dynamic IP, does not mean it will be changed when you unplug or reboot the modem/router. This depends on how the ISP is using DHCP.

For example, I use Time Warner Cable for Internet access and they use dynamic IP addresses. But I have had the exact same IP address for months and months. This is through power outages and modem resets from some recabling I did. It just stayed the same throughout.

[/COLOR]Ok, so now i know i have an dynamic IP. How would i go about changing my IP address via the router? The reason i want to change it is because i've been IP banned from a Youtube Forum but did nothing wrong. It was a mistake, but no one fixed it. I've tried contact the Admin/Staff of the site but they never replied to my emails. So that's the main reason and that i want a complete fresh start. Please, please any help would be very much appreciated! :( Even when i contacted my ISP, they said restart the router for a new IP. Is there another way? Please help :(

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
[/COLOR]Ok, so now i know i have an dynamic IP. How would i go about changing my IP address via the router? The reason i want to change it is because i've been IP banned from a Youtube Forum but did nothing wrong. It was a mistake, but no one fixed it. I've tried contact the Admin/Staff of the site but they never replied to my emails. So that's the main reason and that i want a complete fresh start. Please, please any help would be very much appreciated! :( Even when i contacted my ISP, they said restart the router for a new IP. Is there another way? Please help :(

Change ISPs or continue to bug YouToobe about the ban.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is there another way? Please help :(

Ahh... I see.

The only thing I have read people having some success with is to completely turn off the modem/router for an hour or two, the just hope Verizon DHCP throws you a new IP when you start it back up. This still may not work though.

You might try searching Verizon's support forums to see if anybody has any ideas, but what I mentioned is all I have ever heard of working.

As a temp. workaround, you might be able to see YouTube with a proxy service like http://hidemyass.com

AppleTalker

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Ahh... I see.

The only thing I have read people having some success with is to completely turn off the modem/router for an hour or two, the just hope Verizon DHCP throws you a new IP when you start it back up. This still may not work though.

You might try searching Verizon's support forums to see if anybody has any ideas, but what I mentioned is all I have ever heard of working.

As a temp. workaround, you might be able to see YouTube with a proxy service like http://hidemyass.com

Thank you! I'll try.

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
Comcast here with a dynamic IP.

"Dynamic" being a relative term as my IP doesn't change for weeks on end.

Comcast charges more for a static IP as part of a business package.

mcfx

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2013
US

It could be also in the 172.16.0.x range (class B address).

Comcast here with a dynamic IP.

"Dynamic" being a relative term as my IP doesn't change for weeks on end.

Comcast charges more for a static IP as part of a business package.

That just means you have a long lease time, yet it's still dynamic.

AppleTalker

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Ok. Here's some news...

I was chatting with Verizon a few days about this and the rep suggested i unplug the router. It worked! When i unplugged the router (for like a few minutes or so) then plugged it back in, bam new IP address! So i didn't have to wait for an hour or longer, as I'm very busy. I would hug the rep right now if i could haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.