Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The first seven exclusive "Steve Jobs schools" have opened their doors across a number of cities in the Netherlands. Starting from today, schools in the Dutch cities of Sneek, Breda, Almere, Emmen, Heenvliet and Amsterdam will start teaching students according to the principles of the O4NT, or Onderwijs voor een nieuwe tijd (Education for a new era), which emphasizes the role of the iPad in an elementary school environment. The program, which was first proposed by Dutch officials back in March 2012, gives every child access to a "virtual school" through an iPad and helps them develop information and communication technology (ICT) and information processing skills, collaboration techniques and a critical, problem-solving and creative mind.

Screen-Shot-2013-08-21-at-2.41.58-pm.png
The O4NT foundation is currently in talks with a number of school boards across the Netherlands and they hope that more schools will sign up the model next year. The program has a number of benefits: apart from teaching children useful skills, school hours and vacations are a lot more flexible under the new model -- as the "virtual school" is accessible round the clock, 365 days a year (although the Dutch Ministry of Education is currently preventing this scenario due to legislative restrictions) -- and the ICT-based approach also has a major impact on the role of the teacher. According to O4NT's press release:
In the O4NT approach, teachers will no longer simply convey knowledge to a group of children; they will be transformed into coaches that support children with their individual and group projects. Because educational apps are used for basic skills, the learning process can be completely adapted to the individual child's learning speed and style.
O4NT is also planning an international version of the program, allowing Dutch expatriate children around the world to attend full-time education via their iPad. O4NT International, as it has been dubbed, is expected to launch in early 2014.

Article Link: First Seven iPad-Only 'Steve Jobs Schools' Open in the Netherlands

Davejprince

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
The Netherlands
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

The first seven exclusive "Steve Jobs schools" have opened their doors across a number of cities in the Netherlands. Starting from today, schools in the Dutch cities of Sneek, Breda, Almere, Emmen, Heenvliet and Amsterdam will start teaching students according to the principles of the O4NT, or*Onderwijs voor een*nieuwe tijd*(Education for a new era), which emphasizes the role of the iPad in an elementary school environment. The*program, which was first proposed by Dutch officials back in March 2012, gives every child access to a "virtual school" through an iPad and helps them develop information and communication technology (ICT) and information processing skills, collaboration techniques and a critical, problem-solving and creative mind.

The O4NT foundation is currently in talks with a number of school boards across the Netherlands and they hope that more schools will sign up the model next year. The program has a number of benefits: apart from teaching children useful skills, school hours and vacations are a lot more flexible under the new model -- as the "virtual school" is accessible round the clock, 365 days a year (although the Dutch Ministry of Education is currently preventing this scenario due to legislative restrictions) -- and the ICT-based approach also has a major impact on the role of the teacher. According to O4NT's press release:
O4NT is also planning an international version of the program, allowing Dutch expatriate children around the world to attend full-time education via their iPad. O4NT International, as it has been dubbed, is expected to launch in early 2014.

Article Link: First Seven iPad-Only 'Steve Jobs Schools' Open in the Netherlands
Sad news, I live there not that that's important but paper textbooks are way better for your eyes in my opinion, altough using iPads for some tasks isn't really bad but meh, we'll see.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
This could be really good or really bad. I want to see how this plays out after a year. :)

Megakazbek

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
I think there is no scientific reason why there should be any difference between paper and iPad books for eyes.

But no real stylus suport in iPad makes it quite limited for education.

S

syd430

"Steve Jobs schools"... As much as I like the man, that's a bit cringe worthy.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
This could be really good or really bad. I want to see how this plays out after a year. :)
Well isn't that a completely non-committal response? How could it be really bad? How can it be really good? For someone in your line of work, I think it could be good as it opens up more opportunity to ship iPads overseas. ;)

Is this the future in education ?

In some places, perhaps.

I think it is important to be in a school setting. I think children learn great social skills in school and if you stick them in a room with an iPad all day, how can they relate to the outside world? There has to be a balance. Even today I know of two kids, same age, one went to pre-school and the other did not. One seems to be more socially adapted than the other who literally sat home all day with a parent. I really think virtual schools can hinder a child in some aspects.

I think this is pretty cool and can definitely be useful.

That being said... I've tried using a couple textbooks on my iPad and it certainly left something to be desired. Part of it is a learning curve, part of it is the book not being utilized to its full potential, but there is definitely a part where a physical book simply is easier to navigate/highlight providing a more natural feeling experience.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Just cut this crap and give a proper school, with proper teaching, and maintain a degree of discipline. A lot of children abuse their privileges, and blame the school for that. iPads can work well for textbooks and interactive programs, but should never take the job of the teachers.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Well isn't that a completely non-committal response? How could it be really bad? How can it be really good? For someone in your line of work, I think it could be good as it opens up more opportunity to ship iPads overseas. ;)

In some places, perhaps.

I think it is important to be in a school setting. I think children learn great social skills in school and if you stick them in a room with an iPad all day, how can they relate to the outside world? There has to be a balance. Even today I know of two kids, same age, one went to pre-school and the other did not. One seems to be more socially adapted than the other who literally sat home all day with a parent. I really think virtual schools can hinder a child in some aspects.

How could it be bad? No one learns for it and prefers the traditional way of teaching. Actually happened at my high school, a "STEM Academy", where students are left to learn independently but with instruction. Some thrive, some hate it. And you bring up a good point. ;)

throttlemeister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2009
Netherlands
I think there is no scientific reason why there should be any difference between paper and iPad books for eyes.

Backlit displays are more tiring for your eyes than paper or e-ink displays, and research has shown that prolonged exposure to bright backlit displays (before going to bed) can cause sleeping problems.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Most high schools nearby supply students with iPads.. A sensible move by eliminating the need to carry 5kgs of books on your back. They pay a percentage and the school subsidises the rest.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica

Lots of third party stylus' are available. Apple's stance is definitely "you shouldn't need a stylus with a proper touch screen" but there are definitely options out there.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I think this is pretty cool and can definitely be useful.

That being said... I've tried using a couple textbooks on my iPad and it certainly left something to be desired. Part of it is a learning curve, part of it is the book not being utilized to its full potential, but there is definitely a part where a physical book simply is easier to navigate/highlight providing a more natural feeling experience.

Not sure about the "learning curve". This new generation of kids using electronic devices are smart in figuring things out. And what do you mean by utilizing a book to it's full potential?
I would say this is much easier overall. When I was in school the worse part about doing research was thumbing page after page. With text books on iPad the students can simply do a word search and quickly find the information they need. There are so many plusses to having electronic text books over paper ones. No heavy books to carry, no pages to rip or get greasy fingers on. I only wish this was available for me and I went to school for electronics, go figure. :eek:

HoldingItWrong

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2013
I live in The Netherlands and I feel ashamed. The government is investing less and less in education and the prestige of our country is getting worse and worse. The economic situation in Europe is getting better bit by bit, but our economy continues to shrink. We're investing in the wrong things and every time we get a new government, our educational changes again. We just can't stick to a good strategy like many other countries.

The guy in the video, Maurice de Hond, is a complete idiot. He calls himself a 'pollster' and I can't remember the last time he was right on anything. This whole thing started after Steve died, he just tries to make money out of that. He doesn't care about education, he only cares about himself. Just Google "Deventer Murder Case" and read why the guy is totally crazy (you probably find a lot of other examples).

Last edited:

SpectatorHere

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
More tech toys to save the day.

This means far more testing--tests aligned to national standards by your friends at the billion dollar textbook publishers!

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Backlit displays are more tiring for your eyes than paper or e-ink displays, and research has shown that prolonged exposure to bright backlit displays (before going to bed) can cause sleeping problems.

Oh come on, the kids today (and many people on this very forum) are buried in electronic devices almost every second of the day. You're taking this way too far as if it's the first time people are starting to interact with computers. :rolleyes:

SpectatorHere

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
Limited resources following budget cuts the past 5 years and yet more and more schools moving to get the latest gadgets.

The school boards are just dummies like everyone else, and they all see their kids loving their iPhones, so why won't this save the day?

Fewer teachers, fewer arts and extracurricular activities, and more bland, boring, standardization...that's what we're getting, this time via an iPad. ...also yearly digital licensing schemes instead of periodic textbook purchases.

Computers didn't save education in the 80's, the Internet didn't save it when put in every school by 2000, and iPads aren't going to help either.

Chastepe

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
Derby, UK
Sad

This is so sad and pathetic. The value of a book cannot be replaced with an iPad full stop. And by the way, to me it seems that they re trying to make money from Job's brand name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.