Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Title says it all. Apple always takes a "beta leave of absence" prior to a GM release because they have to code in the new features for the new iPhone "5S" like fingerprint scanner, etc. and they don't want the developing public, and competition, to dissect the code revealing any new features.

I know this cause I am smrat.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Title says it all. Apple always takes a "beta leave of absence" prior to a GM release because they have to code in the new features for the new iPhone "5S" like fingerprint scanner, etc. and they don't want the developing public, and competition, to dissect the code revealing any new features.

No, since each device has it's own beta, it's all done at the same time, they will have been testing the new features for the new device for months already, so the code will have to be in already to ensure it works.

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
No, since each device has it's own beta, it's all done at the same time, they will have been testing the new features for the new device for months already, so the code will have to be in already to ensure it works.

I bet that's correct but do you think there could be some "cross platform" stuff in the works? Maybe a feature that apple doesn't want to announce prior to unveiling the 5S?

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011

No, Apple has been working on the beta for the iPhone 5S since the beginning of iOS 7, and yes, the beta prior the GM release takes longer, but for different reasons other than adding new features to the new iPhone, it has to be more on the fact that apple works on speed, performance, smoothness, reliability, almost no new features are added.

I know this cause I am smart.

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Thats correct.

Same procedure at iOS5 development. No more betas for all devices to keep the Siri features secret.

There will be no more beta in iOS to bake the fingerprint APIs in the non-public betas in iOS7.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I bet that's correct but do you think there could be some "cross platform" stuff in the works? Maybe a feature that apple doesn't want to announce prior to unveiling the 5S?

Such features are typically unique to the hardware of the new device. And since each device has its own software all they have to do is not put iPhone 5s versions out and that special feature is safe.

That said, frankly I don't see anything big and new. Not if this is truly a 5S. Fingerprint security sensors etc are more likely a redesign item. This go around would be more of a spec bump as all S models generally are. So perhaps more ram, better processor, better camera etc. Plus all the new API in the software updating things.

So there could be more Betas, particularly if there are still issues with core features and there are. After all, even if they announce the new hardware on the 10-12th, it could actually launch a month later if that's what Apple wants. And the software with it

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live

Don't forget that there are nerds that have nothing to do but to be looking at the string tables in new builds...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.