Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone3gs.png
AT&T retail stores will be offering refurbished iPhone 3GS models to its prepaid GoPhone customers -- no-contract accounts that do not qualify for subsidized phones -- according to a MacRumors tipster.

The iPhone 3GS was originally released in 2009 and, notably, will not run the new iOS 7 when it's released this fall. For comparison, AT&T sells the refurbished iPhone 4 for $325, so the 3GS would presumably be offered for well under $300.

The tipster claims the phone will not be displayed or promoted publicly, but sales reps will be able to offer them to certain price-sensitive customers. Not all AT&T stores will have them but it is claimed that AT&T's larger and more metropolitan locations should have decent amounts of stock.

Apple discontinued the iPhone 3GS in September of last year when the iPhone 5 was introduced. The lack of support for Apple's latest iOS operating system is a concern, but the extremely price-conscious customers that would consider the 3GS could overlook that issue.

Article Link: AT&T to Quietly Offer Refurbished iPhone 3GS Models to GoPhone Customers

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I have two - one has a shattered screen (though is completely usable) while the other has a fine layer of dust from not having been used in a few months, but I had been using it to test iOS apps. Going forward I'm doing iOS 7+ only, though, so I guess I don't need my 3GS anymore... Maybe I'll sell it now... Or maybe if I keep it for 10-20 years it'll be a collectible.

Hmmm.... well if AT&T is aware of the iPhone 5C price point, I think this indicates the 5C will be more like $400+ rather than more like $300.

It doesn't really make sense to have a 4 year old iphone selling for... say $279 while having a brand new iPhone with signifcantly improved specs for like $300-$350. Just my opinion.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Hmmm.... well if AT&T is aware of the iPhone 5C price point, I think this indicates the 5C will be more like $400+ rather than more like $300.

It doesn't really make sense to have a 4 year old iphone selling for... say $279 while having a brand new iPhone with signifcantly improved specs for like $300-$350. Just my opinion.

True. Unless the 3GS is going to be much closer to the $200 mark. It's like a nostalgia purchase :p

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
The lack of support for Apple's latest iOS operating system is a concern...

That's OK as long as its version of iOS has iCloud connectivity.
I'm sure Apple wants to build their iCloud user base as fast as possible.
iCloud is the key to Apple's next decade, the way iTunes was in the last decade.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
Little bit of Nostalgia

I hate to say it but the 3GS was one of the most comfortable phones to hold in your hand. The new iPhones are too angular and smooth. They fit awkward in my hand and slip out easily (when not in a case). Kinda miss the 3GS form factor and actually think the cheap iPhone5C will be better to hold than the fancy coming Gold iPhone.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
honestly.. for someone that just wants a very cheap smartphone that isn't laggy with a web browser and decent app support it's a good deal. Most developers won't ditch iOS >7 for a pretty long time.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
I still have my 3GS. Can't wait for the 5S and to ditch ATT.

The 3GS is way past it's prime and isn't going to be supported with iOS7. I wouldn't recommend the 3GS to anyone unless they simply want a phone and iPod in the same device. Anymore than that and they should go with the 4,4S, 5 or 5C.

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
If you're that price-conscious, maybe a smart phone isn't for you.

Yup, I have to agree. I bought an iPhone thinking the costs would be justified by how I use it, but I was mistaken. Within the first month I was mainly using it for Twitter, FB, apps etc. It was more of a distraction if anything and I figured I was paying too much so I sold it and bought a regular, brick phone which is more than enough for me. :)

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
there are way better android phones for way cheaper. Can't see any reason to buy this at this point when you could get a dual core android phone for under $200 brand new

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The GoPhone selections are just so stupid at AT&T. So I'm glad they're offering the 3GS. It's about time really. It's annoying that if I break my on-contract phone, I'm pretty much screwed. The only smartphones they have right now are the Huawei Fusion 2, and the Nokia Lumia 520.

I have the Fusion. It's the most stupid phone out of the box. It is literally a piece of crap. It takes a few seconds for a call to go through, and you get a spinning wheel of death between just about everything you open on it.

After rooting it and installing CyanogenMod 10.1, it is the best Android device I've EVER had. But it has no personality otherwise, besides the squeaking.

It's not that I wouldn't go for a Lumia, but replacing an Android with a Windows Phone is a dumb move, especially when your contract is almost up and you're about to move back to iOS. I have a good chunk invested into Android, and just to throw it out like that and spend A LOT more in alternatives, was not the solution I was looking for.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Got a 16 Gig 3GS from a member here a couple years back, CIB and in great shape - still using it, but not in great shape anymore (cracks at the connector). My original iPhone still perfect because of the better build.

Need at least a 4S as newer versions of Aviation Apps require a more powerful device.

I can't imagine paying more than $125 for a refurbished officially unlocked 8Gig 3GS....

macnisse

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
I have been rockin my 3gs for a long time and have had to resuscitate it twice already (battery, dock port). The first 2.5 yrs it was extremely stable. Approaching its 4th year it is now up for another last life saving surgery (dock port again, those connectors seem to be weak links in heavy duty use). After that, should it break again, the nxt stop will be iPhone heaven, .

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA
Mine's been sitting in my desk for a few years. Noticed recently that the plastic back has a few cracks and the glass on the front is starting to delaminate in one corner. Was a good phone in it's day.

I wonder if there's someplace I could actually get my unit fixed? I don't want to get an exchange unit. I'd use it as an iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.