Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Consumers spend four times as much on games from the App Store and the Google Play Store than they do on games for gaming-optimized handhelds like the PlayStation Vita and the Nintendo 3DS, according to the newest report from App Annie.

The report points out that while Google Play game spending surpassed spending on handheld console games (both physical and digital) during the second quarter of 2013, App Store game spending continues to outpace both categories, bringing in far more revenue.

Back in July, App Annie reported that Google Play downloads had surpassed App Store downloads, but App Store revenue remains 2.3 times higher.

gamesrevenuecomparison.jpg
App Annie notes that games continue to lead app store growth, and during the second quarter of 2013, games represented approximately 40% of downloads from both Google Play and the App Store. Game sales in both app stores grew a significant amount from the Q1 2013 to Q2 2013 and represented 70% of total app revenue in both the App Store and Google Play.

The App Store and Google Play metrics that App Annie uses for its reports come from App Annie intelligence data, which is designed to offer global market data to publishers. As always, revenue estimates include paid downloads and in-app purchases, but not in-app advertising.

Article Link: Spending on iOS and Google Play Games Now 4X Handheld Console Games

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I would have spent much more if Nintendo released their classic games on the App Store.:(

Last edited:

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Another market beginning its demise. Onto the Apple TV console please.

the-prophet

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2013
It seems like ever since the iPhone came out, everyone just decided they were going to stop making games. :/

Some guy

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
It's going to be really interesting to see how it goes for Sony and Nintendo with their handheld consoles.

If only Nintendo could bring their exclusives to smartphones and tablets...

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Another market beginning its demise. Onto the Apple TV console please.

I think the game companies are much better equipped to hold here against Apple TV, though other forces might blow them out. Apple TV simply isn't compelling. You don't bring a Game Boy everywhere, games are expensive, and they're mostly for kids. Who'd be happy with a $1 game.

That's the problem here. Sony had the best opportunity having a cell phone division. They simply didn't execute it well.

What's going to kill the console market? Microsoft, probably. They have the XBox and the computer OS. Apple, internationally, isn't much of a dent. XBox, if executed well, should do fine. Same with PS4. Nintendo seems to be missing the boat on online trends wanting to remain strictly a toy company.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Is this really that hard to believe based on the amount of people who own iOS/Android devices against those that own handheld consoles.

The figures are all relative.

thekingofnerds

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
As has been said - if only Nintendo would evolve. Their stubbornness will be the end of them. It's like watching gateway back in the day, or Dell. It's just a slow and painful death.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Fact: if ports of Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart were released for iPhone, they would stay in the top 10 paid apps forever.

Yeah, but GoldenEye 007 and Ocarina of Time for Apple TV would be a dream come true. Probably two of the top 10 best games ever made, and they were made in the 90s.

Too bad I already beat OoT.

Last edited:

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
This shows you one reason why Nintendo won't make games for iOS.

The 3ds and Vita have maybe an install base of 40 million worldwide right now and I'm rounding up.

The install base of smartphones is 1500 million.

37.5 times that of the 3ds/Vita install base.

Yet revenue of all games from all these small developers is only 4x that of the 3DS/Vita.

Then when you realize Nintendo accounts for most of that game revenue on the 3ds and that Vita game revenue is miniscule then you see one of the good reasons why they won't make games on iOS/Android.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
So not only are we in the post-PC era, we are also in the post-Game console era as well. All started by Apple and then followed and copied by others.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
It's going to be really interesting to see how it goes for Sony and Nintendo with their handheld consoles.

If only Nintendo could bring their exclusives to smartphones and tablets...

You're comparing every single iOS game developer combined against a few handheld console game-makers. Besides, Nintendo is selling hardware as well as software and isn't giving 30% of their revenue to Apple.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
Im surprised by this news.

Said no one, ever.

I think the game companies are much better equipped to hold here against Apple TV, though other forces might blow them out. Apple TV simply isn't compelling. You don't bring a Game Boy everywhere, games are expensive, and they're mostly for kids. Who'd be happy with a $1 game.

You might be making the same mistake that console companies are. It used to be that on computers you had to have a dedicated game machine, and swap out graphics cards once a year to play the latest games. Over time, the "avg" computer caught up with the game industry, and suddenly you didn't always need a dedicated computer for the task.

What's going to kill the console market? Microsoft, probably. They have the XBox and the computer OS. Apple, internationally, isn't much of a dent. XBox, if executed well, should do fine. Same with PS4. Nintendo seems to be missing the boat on online trends wanting to remain strictly a toy company.

It's what happens when the only tool in a market is a near professional level tool. Look at the Camera, where SLRs were what a lot of amateurs were buying with no intention of using it as a specialized tool. Now, with digital cameras everywhere that fill 99% of the use cases for 99% of the users, The "only a camera" market is dieing. But even if the Professional or "serious photographer" cameras go down in sale, they won't die because there will always be those users that demand a dedicated tool.

Laptops are the same way. Once a market diversifies people realize that the first tool on the market (laptop for portable computing) isn't the only way to satisfy everyone's desire and use case. Smart phones and tablets are filling a huge niche in people's lives. What that does though is it also draws a bunch more people into the "mobile computing" market by providing them a device that is cheaper and still fulfills their needs.

So it's of zero surprise to me that dedicated expensive gaming consoles are getting dwarfed by non-dedicated gaming machines, because the majority of "gamers" aren't "hardcore $600" gamers, they are $10 a month gamers.

What'll save them is that there will always be those people, like myself, that desire a dedicated gaming experience on my large plasma TV. I realize that I am not the average gamer. The positive thing is that as games diversify, and the platforms we can play them on, the number of "gamers" in the world sky rockets. Hopefully there will be plenty to go around.

The question I have is not whether consoles will die, but whether there is really the market for 3 players in it. I fear that historically Nintindo help onto the "casual" gamer, and won't make it without targeting "professional" gamers.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013

The 3ds and Vita have maybe an install base of 40 million worldwide right now and I'm rounding up.

Yet revenue of all games from all these small developers is only 4x that of the 3DS/Vita.

Then when you realize Nintendo accounts for most of that game revenue on the 3ds and that Vita game revenue is miniscule then you see one of the good reasons why they won't make games on iOS/Android.

Exactly. Nintendo also isn't paying Apple or someone a tax and is probably collecting tax from other game companies that make 3DS games.

Don't get me wrong; I've got a GBA and GBC and will not buy a 3DS or (heck no) a PS Vita and would really like to have Nintendo games on iOS. I've got a GameCube, and I don't like the Wii or Wii U. I've got an N64 but would buy GoldenEye for Apple TV. But what I like isn't necessarily what is profitable.

Last edited:

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels

Another reason is iOS games are crap.

Mario vs Hayday... hmmm that's a tough one.

So not only are we in the post-PC era, we are also in the post-Game console era as well. All started by Apple and then followed and copied by others.

In the very last year of every console generation, there's always a bunch of people proclaiming consoles are dead. 7 years later, they repeat themselves

Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

Nintendo can ask for the same price (~$50-60) in the App Store. I will still happily pay them but in no way I'll ever buy their handheld hardware again only for the games.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
I don't care what anyone says about gaming PCs. $200 Xbox 360 > 1337 g4m3r PC. No extra drivers, no viruses, no lag, much less hassle, cheaper. An iMac G3 can play Age of Empires II OK, so that's fine.

Last edited:

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Nintendo can ask for the same price (~$50-60) in the App Store. I will still happily pay them but no way I'll ever buy their handheld hardware again only for the games.

No they can't. Because of commoditization, there will be downward pressure on the price of their games until they're market competitive or they have to go Freemium to sell like EA's IP. On top of that they have to give Apple 30% of whatever does sell.

They're better off using their eShop where they set the market value of their IP and take home 100%.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Sadly so for Sony and especially Nintendo. At least Sony's PS plays Bluray discs. Who would have thought this before the advent of the App store and Google play.

They are like steamrollers, flattening everything in their path.

Eh what? You are proclaiming the entire console market is deteriorating? Because that is what your blueray comment implies. So....

hahahaha erm NO! It's about to be boosted like never before with new consoles, and unless you don't play console games or have lived under a rock, the console market is a massive part of the games industry which is worth more than the television industry, and that's globally.

So sorry to burst your bubble, but consoles aren't going anywhere and you are NEVER going to be able to match gameplay like The Last Of Us on a mobile or tablet. The big screen experience is too good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.