Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I remember that circle icon... it was much better. I hope they bring it back.

Well I don't mind the new icon, just miss the glow. But you should file a bug report/feedback. Maybe if more people than just me ask, they'll add it back.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
I can't believe neither Mac OS nor Windows had tabs in the file browser until now. I've been wanting this forever.

----------

UGH, they still have the generic Finder sidebar icons. The grey is ugly, but the really bad part is that when I add my own folders to it with different icons, I can't see the icons and have to look for them 3X as long to find them. This has been bugging me really badly since I updated to ML. At least give us an option.

There's a tweak called TheCure or something that fixes this, but it's labeled as not-very-stable. In my case, it makes Finder hang for a while whenever I resize a window.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
As an aside, I see nothing special about Mavericks. Perhaps I haven't read deeply enough into it, but none of the new features seem interesting to me at all.

Some of the performance things were interesting. From what I understand, they're going to improve inactive RAM. I've been having issues with VMWare Fusion causing the system to create GBs of inactive RAM and chew up all of my free RAM down to 20MB, making the computer slow to a crawl.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I remember in the betas for Mountain Lion it had a circle that would turn blue when you had a notification. I wish it was still like that. Sometimes I forget I have a notification because of how it is now.

My personal theory on this: It got too close to an existing patent, and lawyers had their say.

But ya, that's my single biggest gripe with Notification Center. You have no clue there's any notifications in it.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
LMAO what? Surely everyone knows what "Mavericks" is about by now. It's been hammered into peoples heads for weeks.

Green and Blue and White? Those ARE the Dallas Mavericks colors...you know that???

EDIT: Well, I just pulled this up...this site seems to think the "Mavericks" name comes from a popular surfing spot in Northern California, and it's named after a German Shepherd, hence, a dog name:

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/06/14/three-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-os-x-mavericks-na/

Last edited:

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
LOL That's actually I never thought about that coincidence, but OS X Mavericks actually references the popular surf spot in California.

Can anyone verify this? For certain? I am still convinced with these colors it has something to do with the Dallas Mavericks. The only hint on "surfing" from the promo graphic is the wave.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
Huge Changes in Mavericks Beta 6 I've noticed immediately:

- Mavericks - Seems like everything is so much smoother and faster.

- Finder Window - Finally fixes the finder window bc every time i opened, tabbed, or clicked on another folder i would have to adjust the columns, not anymore.

- Display Preferences - No need for QuickRes anymore, which you had to turn on with every restart and then have to adjust all the windows again. Now i turn on my rMBP and my screen is 1680x1050 without clicking anything and no need to adjust every window i open.

- Safari - Its so much faster and no more glitches.

Thats what I've noticed so far.

I hope the scrolling glitch is fixed.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
You had me at "better battery life"!

Seriously considering installing this beta. I can't wait for final release...

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Eh. I see Apple's name Mavericks, and reject this in favor of Sea Lion, because Sea Lions are cool, and that logo with the seal on it was neat, and that name would have been a great way to transition out of cat names into other interesting creatures, and Mavericks is none of those things and only serves to remind us of how proud Californians are of being so in love with themselves, which honestly, after finally making it out of that state, I was really looking forward to not being reminded of every single day, thank you very much...

Time to whip up some Sea Lion wallpaper.

I hope you share it!

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Can anyone verify this? For certain? I am still convinced with these colors it has something to do with the Dallas Mavericks. The only hint on "surfing" from the promo graphic is the wave.

Did you ever notice or think about why the official OSX 10.9 Mavericks wallpaper is massive huge Wave? ......

os-x-mavericks-wallpaper.jpg

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Did you ever notice or think about why the official OSX 10.9 Mavericks wallpaper is massive huge Wave? ......

I've done THE WAVE at sporting events, even a few Mavericks games, but I certainly have never heard of this place called "Mavericks" that Apple is supposedly referring to here. Must be a secret place or something, or I am not in California, thus "out of the know." I'm not "cool" like that.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA

It was pointed out during the keynote.
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-06/10/os-x-mavericks

"Announcing the new OS, Craig Federighi, Apple's senior vice president of Software Engineering, said the name was a tribute to "those places that inspire us here in California". " The movie "Chasing Mavericks" features this location.

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Maps app....so many times i tried to do business searches and no results google maps everything is found....I could really wreck up some serious miles using apple Maps by going to businesses that were just around the corner and it didn't show instead one 15 miles away.... i want to like apple maps but it just can not be trusted

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
I'm going to buy a haswell 15 rMBP when they are released. I look forward to the graphics improvements. The current rMBP and Mountain lion just bugs the hell out of me.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
I've done THE WAVE at sporting events, even a few Mavericks games, but I certainly have never heard of this place called "Mavericks" that Apple is supposedly referring to here. Must be a secret place or something, or I am not in California, thus "out of the know." I'm not "cool" like that.

The new naming convention for OS X major releases from 10.9 onwards was a subject of the keynote when Mavericks was first introduced at WWDC. You're lack of being "in the know" has no bearing on it whatsoever.

To be more "in the know" regarding Mavericks, the location: http://bit.ly/19yETcf

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Anyone know what build iBooks had in DP5? It's version 1.0 build 140 in DP6 so I don't know if there were any changes. I haven't noticed anything new and it's still very buggy.

Keychain sync now working properly in DP6 (and I'm not a developer)

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
I wonder if this means we are closer to GM status........hmmmmm

Don't know. But I'm already not liking DP6. It broke my airplay mirroring. All I get now is a black screen on second monitor.

So it's back to using airparrot for now (and thank goodness it works with mavericks).

Hope they fix this in the next DP or GM.

I'm also thinking that if they don't fix it I'll just downgrade back to DP4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.