Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Garoolgan

macrumors member
Original poster
MacBook Pro with Mac OSX V=10.7.4

I've lost my iPhoto ! I've tried holding down Option & Cmd on clicking the iPhoto icon but nothing else except what is below happens.
--------------------------------------------------
On clicking the iPhoto icon I get this message:
Caution
The iPhoto Library is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have permission to make changes to it. iPhoto can try to repair the permissions.
2 Buttons = Repair or Quit
On clicking on repair the following message aooears:
iPhoto wants to make changes. Type your password to allow this.
Name = OK
Password =
After entering my password the following message appears:
Caution
The iPhoto Library is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have permission to make changes to it.
I am sure that my password is correct as I use it every day to log on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have also tried to use Disk Utilities:
"Repair Disk Permissions" when used the messages are:
"Repairing permissions for Macintosh HD"
"ACL found but not expected on "Library/Preferences"
At this point the message below states "Repairing Disk Permissions. Estimated time : 3 hours". Then after 4 minutes "Repairing Disk Permissions. Estimated time : 2 hours". Then after 4.5 minutes "Repairing Disk Permissions. Estimated time : 20 minutes" Then, 10 min, 8 min, 6 min, 3 min, 1 min. (The 1 min. lasts for about 2.5 mins).
About 8 mins after clicking on "Repair Disk Permissions" the mask now says:
"Repairing permissions for Macintosh HD"
"ACL found but not expected on "Library/Preferences"
Repaired "Library/Preferences"
"ACL found but not expected on "Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist"
Repaired "Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have also tried "Verify Disk" .
This only takes about 1 minute and the last line in green "The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK"
Having gone through this if I then click on the iPhoto icon I go back to where I was at the first line on this question.
Is there anything else I can do?.... or do I just forget about iPhoto? Strange, I've only had my new MacBook Pro for a couple of months and the last (and first) one lasted 6 years!

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Garoolgan

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Are you able to reinstall iPhoto from the Mac App Store? Maybe try deleting it (not your photo folder, just the app) and try re-installing it.

I had a similar issue with Aperture when I installed a new hard drive and was in the middle of switching info and libraries.

See if that works, could be the most painless option.

Garoolgan

macrumors member
Original poster
Thanks Aldaris.

I found an iPhoto 9.1 upgrade but " received as a message "iPhoto can't be installed on this disk. iPhoto 9.0 or later is required to install this update". I have no idea what version of iPhoto I have as I can't open it.

I have no OS disk as they didn't come with Lion.

Is there somewhere on the HDD that has the equivalent of the OS disk, that I can install iPhoto from?

I can't use Apple support as I'm an expat (English speaking with a USA MacBook living in France). I bought the laptop early December 2011 but it took a while for someone to bring it over and then I only set it up in May 2012.

This means no USA service and I can't call anywhere except France (where they only speak French of course) from where I live. When I try to ring English speaking service centres from France, "the telephone no. isn't valid!"

It is years I've been living as an expat and the story is always the same. You generally have to accept the local language or give up!! ... and Apple isn't any different.

Garoolgan

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
So...you didn't "lose" iPhoto, it's just that it won't open the iPhoto Library you've been using? The application starts?

Try holding option down when you start iPhoto and see if you can create a new library that works; that'll at least tell us whether it's a problem with the library or the application.

And you might try doing a "get info" on the iPhoto Library you're trying to use; let us know what permissions you see.

Garoolgan

macrumors member
Original poster
The icon is still there but whatever I click on that has to do with iPhoto brings me to my first question = The iPhoto Library is locked........

I have most probably done something stupid and I virtually never use iPhoto anyway, only for recuperating photos from my old iPhone 3 which again, I use as least as possible as the quality is far better with my compact camera.

Last night I found out that I could download photos from my iPhone using Preview, which I then did, but it would be nice to have iPhoto working, just in case.

From my reply above = << I found an iPhoto 9.1 upgrade but " received as a message "iPhoto can't be installed on this disk. iPhoto 9.0 or later is required to install this update". I have no idea what version of iPhoto I have as I can't open it.

I think somehow or other either the library has been wiped or the App is broken?

Is it possible to re-install iPhone and/or the library from the Time machine as the update I found on the App Store wouldn't install?

Garoolgan

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
As noted, the problem appears to be with your Library, not the iPhoto application itself. To test this, hold the Option key and launch iPhoto, which will give you the opportunity to create a new Library. Name it whatever you want (I usually just call it Test Library) and see if iPhoto opens. It won't have your pictures, of course, but it will tell you where the problem is.

You can also right-click on your iPhoto Library, select Show Package Contents, and look for a file called "iPhotoLock.data". It tells iPhoto if the Library is already in use or not, but can get corrupted. You can drag it to the Trash and try to launch iPhoto again. Be careful, btw, because you don't want to move or modify anything else in that iPhoto Library generally.

jW

Garoolgan

macrumors member
Original poster
Hi Mal,

I had been holding Option AND Cmd which someone told me to do.

After carefully reading your reply I did manage to create a new library and iPhoto opened! = You're magic!

I'll now try syncing it with my iPhone.

Thanks for your help.

Garoolgan

bagofbeef

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2006
I was having this same problem. FWIW, It turned out that my wife had iPhoto open on her account, which prevented me from opening it on mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.