Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Akzel

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2008
I want a discrete GPU, nVidia if possible so I can keep using CUDA… :(

The idea of a small SSD and no discrete GPU will eventually push me out of Macbooks to buy, it will be a sad day to go back to Windows machines. :\ I know people will say "but intel graphics are as good as last year's nvidia/amd offers!", but I don't want to pay 2000 dollars for a machine that's not as fast gpu-wise as Razor's $1800 new laptop (which is an awesome machine, minus the lame screen).

franciskenz

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2013
I've been waiting for this like for months now. I'm supposed to buy my first ever MBP but I keep on holding myself for this refresh. This will be a big leap for me. I have new laptop (pc) like every after 2 years an i5 and now an i7. I've always wanted a Mac but never got the chance coz it's kinda expensive. Fingers crossed let it be this September.

I just hope they won't leave behind their non-rMBP. Maybe just for the last time they'll upgrade it with the new Haswell chip, Mavericks of course and if maybe they could put in HDMI as well, that'll be great! I just love the way we can upgrade it for the future. Who doesn't want a laptop that will last for years. Like seriously I'm done with PCs now. Bring it on MBP!!!!

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
And why is this on the Blog page and not front and center? I know Macs are the bastard products of Apple but they are getting more iOS-ified and should therefore rate a front page rumor every now and then. :(

this. i wasn't even aware of this rumor until someone over at the mbp waiting thread pointed it out.. it IS still MacRumors right?... well i know the answer is really not.. it's been an iOS/iPhone rumor site for a while now.. sad face

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
i dont see why people get so irritated about not being able to upgrade the rMBP i personally have never upgraded any laptop just my desk top and even then you are limited by the hardware support,

also with the all lines of the MBP they can only be upgraded so far in terms of ram once its maxed out thats it yes you can put your own bigger SSD in it for cheaper but even then thats kind of it, or am i missing something ??

Well in my case being able to upgrade my 2007 MBP's hard drive from the stock 120 GB to a much roomier 750 GB meant all the difference in the world.

I do believe that all the MBP's and MBA's are capable of having their HD/SSD expanded, so maybe it's not that big a deal in the long run. Although, SSDs are still much more expensive for the same storage. Ideally I'd have a 512 GB SSD in any Mac I buy today, but that would add at least $500!

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
I am still using a 2007-era MacBook Pro (Santa Rosa) and the reason it is still serving me well is because I was able to upgrade its RAM and HD a few years ago. I would love if whatever new Mac I get this year (if any) would also last 6-7 years.

nice. the santa rosa version was my first mbp. i believe that was the last of that design before the move to unibody.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
If the update is as weak as the Macbook Air one, I'm switching to PC
I know it sounds a bit extreme, but I have the same feeling. I'm dropping my iMac and want to go with a Macbook, but I was really hoping for something enticing. The Air fell short I thought. I'm hoping this update is more than a spec update. I know, I know... how else can they innovate? That's kind of the issue... it now makes me debate between a Mac or going with a cheaper Windows laptop for now. Major innovation would increase the Mac/Windows gap again.

kenetic

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2006
I can't get my hands on it until 2 years later. I have to wait for my machine warranty to expire.

Mekot

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
I still think nothing is going to be released during the iPhone 'halo' time in September. I don't believe this rumor. I'm betting on October.

Now the jigsaw pieces fall into place. I think they planned it like this: iPhone event (Sept) - Macbook Pros, iPad event (Oct) - Mac Pro. :eek:

pscl

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2013
about time.

im so ready for my new rmbp 13"

i hope for such an exiting release like the one of the 2011 Macbook Air (first time illuminated keyboard etc)... this was a great release... i love my macbook air. but its about time for a nice update.

bring it on.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
+1.

I don't see why this is relugated to second rate news when we got almost hourly updates on bloody gold/champagne/tacky yellow iphones :mad:

It has definitely become more of a iOS fanboy site, all about apps, iPhones, rumors of iPhones, apps, iPads, rumors of iPads and even more apps.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I still think nothing is going to be released during the iPhone 'halo' time in September. I don't believe this rumor. I'm betting on October.

For that simple reason? I'm sure Apple can do a silent update if they want, or even just give it a few minutes at the keynote. It wouldn't really take away from the iPhone much.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
So:

September:

iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, iPod updates, iOS 7, rMBPs?

October:

iOS 7 for iPad, iPad 5, iPad mini 2, Mavericks, Mac Pro, new Final Cut?

Silent Update: iMac and Mac Mini after Mavericks?

Both of these events seem extremely packed!!!

Where does the apple TV update fit into this?

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Before getting my rMBP, I had similar concerns. What decided it for me, was the realization that I no longer need on-computer storage like before. The SSD drive is very fast for what I do need it for, but for everything else, I find a WiFi NAS pretty convenient. And much, much more flexible and feature-rich than a simple hard drive.

And as for the RAM, 16 GB still feels like over the top, and as long as it doesn't become a bottleneck within the next 3-4 years, I didn't really need the upgradability since that's my natural computer upgrade cycle anyway.

After about a year, my 256 GB SSD has 110 GB free without even trying to be conservative or doing any house cleaning. :) The broadband world has also changed computing a lot. I stream all music from the Internet, for example. All movies are of course on my 2x2 TB auto-backup NAS, since I only need speed good enough for streaming.

I completely agree with everything you wrote. We have to really re-think how we use storage now, it's access vs. ownership. Some will argue against the cloud, but it works great for the most part.

128GB is really too little, and I would never advise anyone to get a rMBP with that. But 256 is just right.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
And why is this on the Blog page and not front and center? I know Macs are the bastard products of Apple but they are getting more iOS-ified and should therefore rate a front page rumor every now and then. :(

We put it on the blog because it was a third-hand report with only a snippet of a summary available in a foreign language, and it's from a source with no track record.

It's also not sharing anything particularly new...September/October has been the circulating rumors and speculation.

Has nothing to do with importance of Mac vs. iOS...it's just a very skimpy rumor.

Miller93

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2013
So:

September:

iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, iPod updates, iOS 7, rMBPs?

October:

iOS 7 for iPad, iPad 5, iPad mini 2, Mavericks, Mac Pro, new Final Cut?

Silent Update: iMac and Mac Mini after Mavericks?

Both of these events seem extremely packed!!!

Where does the apple TV update fit into this?

I dont believe a Mavericks release would proceed a rMBP refresh.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
I can't get my hands on it until 2 years later. I have to wait for my machine warranty to expire.
Or you could sell it because AppleCare transfers with the device and makes it worth more to any potential buyer.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
We put it on the blog because it was a third-hand report with only a snippet of a summary available in a foreign language, and it's from a source with no track record.
Hey! We don't care. :D Lie to us, make crap up. Anything. Just don't forget us lowly OSX users out here living on the edge.

Has nothing to do with importance of Mac vs. iOS...it's just a very skimpy rumor.
I know iOS is 85% of Apple's revenue but I remind you… out of 1.2 million iOS/OSX posts here on MacRumors, 570,000 are in the OSX forums. (48%).

Holy crap. That even impresses me! :eek:

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Let's see what the battery life of the 13" model will be. If it's near to 10 hours my Macbook Air will be history and I finally get some Retina feeling :D

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
What if they're released at the same time as the new Mac Pro? It would make sense to tie the 2 flagship Pro systems together as one event.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.