Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

asphalt_8_icon.png
Asphalt 8: Airborne, the newest addition to the popular iOS racing game series, has been released today with universal compatibility for both the iPhone and iPad. The game features a brand new physics engine and includes 47 selectable cars with 37 new cars making an appearance. The game also places an emphasis on verticality with ramps and air stunts, and contains nine different locations for tracks.

The best iOS arcade racing game series reaches a new turning point! Perform dynamic, high-speed aerial stunts in an intense driving experience powered by a brand-new physics engine!
Our sister site, TouchArcade, has a review up for the game, offering in-depth analysis of the game's new features. Asphalt 4: Elite Racing, a prior entry in the series was an initial third-party title for iOS following the App Store's initial launch in 2008, and a number of other games in the series have been released over the last five years. Asphalt 8: Airborne is priced at $0.99 and can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Asphalt 8: Airborne' Launches for iOS with New Physics Engine, More Cars

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
Awesome!!! Love all the asphalt games, although it is a tough call between real racing and asphalt. What an awesome price, too! Back in the day, a new racing game woulda set ya back $60-$70, not counting inflation.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
IMO, in some ways, gameloft is worse than EA.

While EA flood their new games with IAPs, they are free upfront and can be completed without the IAPs with relative ease.

Gameloft on the other hand, charge money upfront, then use the same free to play model. Pathetic.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
Right after the video states "New physics engine", you have cars flipping horizontally mid air and on top of that landing perfectly. I guess it's not realistic physics :p

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
there is no spoon...

Right after the video states "New physics engine", you have cars flipping horizontally mid air and on top of that landing perfectly. I guess it's not realistic physics :p

Haha, I guess they actually meant a new "Physics Defying Engine". ;)

egoistaxx9

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
the good thing is that they take the money(only $1) before the game and then dont disturb you with in-game purchases. awesome game.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
For some local friends and me this is easily the best video game of all times. Full of action! The best is the local multiplayer mode. Some iOS devices in the same race via WiFi! Without even ONE cable. Setup ready in 30 sec. An exciting combat for splits of seconds!

Asphalt 8: Airborne offers some of the best graphics, controls and sounds. Impressive super muscle cars and gorgeous tracks. A trippy ground flight—nothing more and nothing less. Highly recommended!

The IAPs are completely optional (and I am very picky when it comes to IAPs). You can play the whole career mode without spending one additional cent. And of course the intense multiplayer races. If you are not a good driver you'll maybe won't get all stars but you can play all events und unlock everything. Confirmed by touchArcade.

No waiting timers, no ads, no need to buy SUVs. Just the pure race with some hightech cars. And no, I am not affiliated with Gameloft. But I played and reviewed 6,000 iOS games and this one is simply the best. Enjoy if you are an action and racing fan! (Even if you are not.)

Get some additional info, list of cars and tracks, videos and screenshots in the first postings of the touchArcade thread (already 500+ postings):

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=201193

Gigaman

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
IMO, in some ways, gameloft is worse than EA.

While EA flood their new games with IAPs, they are free upfront and can be completed without the IAPs with relative ease.

Gameloft on the other hand, charge money upfront, then use the same free to play model. Pathetic.

Wrong.

Klosefabrinio

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
awesome! would love to see a comparison between this and the real racing 3, definitely buying this insanely inexpensive game

harlemexplosion

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
This is definitely the best so far! even though it has completely lost touch of "realism" in their racing, it was never meant to be a realistic game in the first place. I think this game will be even harder than the other ones because of the new "in flight" factors in races.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.