Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

user123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
I will be taking my unlocked Iphone with prepaid GoPhone microSIM to mexico on a business trip. I will insert a local SIM. GSM service.

will my contacts stay on the phone ? Or will I lose them when I pull the USA SIM ?

Thank You

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I didn't think that the iPhone stored contacts on the sim card. If that is the case, you should back them up to iCloud then they will be with your iPhone regardless of what sim card you have.

bdrake47

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2012
iPhone does not store your contacts on the SIM card. They are stored on the iPhone. A local or iCloud backup is a good idea too, before you travel.

You can pull out your US SIM, pop in the local SIM and everything is still the same.

Have been doing that regularly for 3 countries for several years now.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I didn't think that the iPhone stored contacts on the sim card. If that is the case, you should back them up to iCloud then they will be with your iPhone regardless of what sim card you have.

Correct, I'm pretty sure you can manually back them up to the SIM but they aren't stored on there.

TheProFTW

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2013
Washington, DC
I will be taking my unlocked Iphone with prepaid GoPhone microSIM to mexico on a business trip. I will insert a local SIM. GSM service.

will my contacts stay on the phone ? Or will I lose them when I pull the USA SIM ?

Thank You

One tip, don't use it on the street in Mexico. Chances are you'll come back to the US without a phone :p

Beyinsis

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2013

Thank You

Use icloud. That's great. A life saver!!!

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
yes, have them all saved and synced though icloud. as long as your apple ID is logged into the phone, you will have your contacts. when i went to iceland, i was easily able to swap SIM cards and not lose any contacts since i use icloud.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Most smartphones don't use the SIM phonebook these days. The available fields are limited. Capacity is very limited as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.