Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

embark_icon-250x235.jpg
Former Wall Street Journal reporter Jessica Lessin reports that Apple has acquired Embark, a small Silicon Valley company focused on apps for navigating mass transit. The acquisition is Apple's third in recent months focused on mapping services, following transit navigation service HopStop and local business search firm Locationary last month.
We don't know how much Apple paid for the several-person team it acquired very recently. But we heard from people knowledgeable about the deal that the company plans to directly integrate Embark's technology into Apple Maps.

Embark, founded in 2011, builds apps for mobile devices powered by Android and Apple's iOS with information about transit systems in about half a dozen U.S. cities such as New York, San Francisco and Chicago. Its iOS apps are still available for download, but its Android apps aren't, according to our checks.
Apple has confirmed the acquisition, but declined to comment beyond the company's usual statement about acquiring smaller companies "from time to time".

Embark currently has ten iOS apps in the App Store, focused on transit systems in the Boston, New York City, Washington D.C., Chicago, and San Francisco Bay areas.

Article Link: Apple Acquires Embark to Further Improve Mass Transit Navigation

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Was going to say... wonder why they want two apps devoted to the same task. Beyond me, especially if they use the same tactics.

Snake201

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2012
Embark NYC is so helpful to me when I go to the city. I am glad to know that hopefully this will some how be implemented to maps and its an extra app I will no longer need to download!

dpear

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2013
I use Embark Metra and it's a great app, would love to see how it's integrated into Maps

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
It's great that Apple's improving their Maps service, but I don't feel that it'll affect me much since I don't live in a major urban city.

iGuardian

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
I don't see why they don't just buy The Transit App. It supports so many regions, and is arguably one of the best transit apps around. It even supports live bus tracking.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Just got their DC app to try it out. It's easily the best Metro app I've tried yet.

Great buy on Apple's part. I hope they put it to good use.

EDIT: Holy cow, it shows our bike-share stations and HOW MANY BIKES are currently in each one! This is exactly the kind of stuff Apple needs to be doing.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Was going to say... wonder why they want two apps devoted to the same task. Beyond me, especially if they use the same tactics.

Do you get that they will not likely run two apps, rather, they would likely take the intelligence behind one and merge it into another.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
I guess this is what you do when the competition already has this built into their app, available on your device AND bought the company you really wanted instead?

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Let's see what we might see here:

- "Apple should innovate, instead of buying out companies. At least google uses their talent (even though they also bought out companies)"

- "They should change the iOS 7 icons!

- "This is good, I can't wait!"

- "Google maps is waay better"

- "Where's my rMBP?"

- "I miss Steve"

Anything I'm missing here?

KirkL

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
United States
I'm glad Apple hasn't given up on Maps. But given it's interest in mapping, I'm amazed that they let Google take Waze

----------

Not unless they acquire Google. All these startups do is provide nice GUI. None of them actually creates the maps.

But these startups have the data for mass transit. That's surely more than a pretty coat of paint :rolleyes:

theOtherGeoff

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Not unless they acquire Google. All these startups do is provide nice GUI. None of them actually creates the maps.

Almost True Dat.

I hate Transit only because the old Maps app 'just worked' for my implementation. And was consistent with my google maps on safari (well, except for calculating time to bus stop to create the 'start' time)

I do think that over time, the critical mass of mass transit knowledge may shift to near parity with Google's. The fact they are buying them does show that there is a strong demand within the iOS user community. The key is that each of these are a different set of algorithms and collection methods for various transit authorities. Improving the smarts behind the scenes is critical, and this may be the best way, since apple considers google dead to them.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I used this app while on a trip to London earlier this year and it was very helpful and accurate. Hopefully they will have this baked into iOS maps and also add more cities.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I love the Embark apps. I can only imagine how it will be combined with Apple. I'm glad to see Apple is actually working on improving the transit directions in their Maps.

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007

They probably want to lock down the technology (patent).

----------

All these acquisitions will make apple maps the best

They should have went after Waze instead of letting Google acquire it. Google Maps + Waze is going to be hard to beat.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
I already know what mass transit possibilities for my commute are:
None.

Same :(

----------

No, they tend to provide their own data and/or collect data from users.

----------

Let's see what we might see here:

- "Apple should innovate, instead of buying out companies. At least google uses their talent (even though they also bought out companies)"

- "They should change the iOS 7 icons!

- "This is good, I can't wait!"

- "Google maps is waay better"

- "Where's my rMBP?"

- "I miss Steve"

Anything I'm missing here?

You forgot the "let's see what we might see here" posts.

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
the Embark apps are great, I used them recently in New York and Boston

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.