Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Hello All,

I spend a lot of time in front of my iMac. I mean probably 12 hours a day recently. I do take breaks when I have to. I have started suffering from RSI on my right hand. It's mainly because I have my hand on my mouse most of the day. I haven't seen a doctor about it yet, but I started reading up on it, and found some good tips on a site about taking breaks and doing some hand exercises etc. Apparently it can become quite serious and painful. I am probably at the early stages.

I am right handed, and for the moment I am trying to use the mouse as a left handed to give my right hand a break. Probably not the best idea.

Anyway, I thought or kind of found that when I gave myself a break, and used my MacBook instead of my iMac, it gave my hand a bit of a break. I know this may not sound rational. Maybe because of different seating positing and the fact that I was on a sofa with the MacBook.

So, I was thinking of investing in a Trackpad for my iMac and using that and switching between trackpad and the mouse just to mix things up a bit. I know the sensible thing to do is to reduce my usage. However, I am in the middle of an important project.

Let me know your thoughts. If you think it's daft or a bad idea, let me know :)

Top1Dog525

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2012
Florence, MS
I highly recommend the Magic Trackpad. I have a dock setup for my Macbook Air where I work and I use the Magic Trackpad along with the wireless keyboard. I love having the freedom of motion that the track pad offers, plus with Multi-Gestures it makes navigating through the system 100x easier and more convenient.

I say go for the Trackpad, you can't go wrong with the choice in my opinion.

brudy

macrumors member
May 23, 2008
As someone who also suffers from RSI issues over the years it's always more about seating, chair, arm, and hand position. I've found that switching hands and devices (mice, trackpads, to a laptop) can sort of buy time, but ultimately fixing it require getting a desk, chair, and monitor height that is ergonomic for you.

That said, my wife switched to a trackball and that really helped her and her RSI was way worse than mine. The trackpad made it worse for her.

iApache

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
If i was you i would buy a Logitech MX Performance mouse, sooooo comfy.

This, I've been using the magic mouse since I got my 2010 iMac. Decided to buy this mouse few months and since then no issues since.

doc007

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2012
Scotland
I have both and find it very restful changing from one to the other depending on what I am doing. The trackpad is much more sensitive than on the MacBook Pro which my wife has. Worth the money!.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
I have never owned a magic mouse but have been using a magic trackpad extensively for the past year and I LOVE IT! I use it and a bluetooth keyboard with my MacBook Pro that is hooked up to an external monitor. I have always been a fan of the trackpads Apple has used in their laptops. Having a standalone trackpad to use with any computer is simply brilliant. When my new iMac arrives tomorrow I doubt I will even unwrap the magic mouse as the magic trackpad really is THAT good!

seroposi

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2013
Herts, UK
why nit splash out out a bit more and get a Wacom Fun Touch Tablet that will offer you a larger touchpad (? unsure of size of magic pad ) plus the versatility of a budget graphics tablet.

Just a thought.

inodes

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2011
I have the Magic Trackpad, Magic Mouse and a few Logitech gaming mice: G9, G9x.

Initially I hated the Trackpad. I found the Magic Mouse easier to use.
But I persisted.

Once Lion came out, the number of gestures increased to a point where the gestures I was so used to using on my Macbook Air, caused frustration when I moved to the desktop with the Magic Mouse.

For gestures alone, the Magic Trackpad becomes invaluable. A must buy!

Get one, put it side by side with the mouse and I believe you won't regret it.
I would also think it would cause less RSI as well, because with a mouse most people tend not to move their hand much. With the trackpad, you will be less restricted and natural with your movements.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
I have the Magic Trackpad, Magic Mouse and a few Logitech gaming mice: G9, G9x.

Initially I hated the Trackpad. I found the Magic Mouse easier to use.
But I persisted.

Once Lion came out, the number of gestures increased to a point where the gestures I was so used to using on my Macbook Air, caused frustration when I moved to the desktop with the Magic Mouse.

For gestures alone, the Magic Trackpad becomes invaluable. A must buy!

Get one, put it side by side with the mouse and I believe you won't regret it.
I would also think it would cause less RSI as well, because with a mouse most people tend not to move their hand much. With the trackpad, you will be less restricted and natural with your movements.

I second. For gestures, Magic Trackpad is invaluable. I just bought a new 27 iMac with both mouse and trackpad. For the first days, I stuck to the mouse and its limited gestures but I was impressed. Since I never used a pad before, I thought I would never want to use it. But guess what, the thing was staring at me and I couldn't resist it. Now, I use the trackpad almost 2/3 of the time. I even use it with programs like Aperture, Lightroom and DxO Pro. Not that bad and not that difficult but you have to put yourself in it. Persevere. Plus there is (to me anyway) a sense of lightness. My hand glides on the surface. I'm not "conducting" a mouse. A different tool but worth it. And believe me, I have no special dexterity. This is my first new computer in 7 years.

ryan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Thank you all for your replies.

I have decided I will buy a Magic Trackpad. The reviews from all of you has been overwhelmingly positive.

To the person who mentioned the Logitech Mouse. I own one. They are brilliant. But I don't think this is to do with the brand of mouse whether it is Apple or Logitech. As far as I am concerned, this is to do with spending unhealthy amounts of time in front of the computer without taking breaks and having my hand on the mouse all the time. So I will now do hand exercises once every 30 minutes or half an hour, very short and quick ones, and give myself proper breaks. That was the good thing when I used to smoke. I used to give me self a cigaret break. :)

Although I believe I have a reasonably good seating position etc I think I need to look at it again, and reassess it.

I am writing this using my MacBook Air. And I believe with the TrackPad you get a bit more movement. With my iMac, I have a wrist rest for my keyboard and mouse. So my hand is in that position on top of the wrist rest most of the day. I don't think there is that much movement, and I think a few clicks would not be considered good movement for blood flow.

Lastly, Apple do charge way too much for some products like the Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad. Thats my opinion. I will still buy one. But I do think it's just taking advantage a bit.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
Lastly, Apple do charge way too much for some products like the Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad. Thats my opinion. I will still buy one. But I do think it's just taking advantage a bit.

Not to mention pretty much everything else Apple sells (Especially their freaking RAM)

ryan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
....a quick update for anyone else faced with a similar situation or dilemma to mine. The trackpad has helped me a lot in my wrist pain. It has almost stopped. I hardly use the mouse. Although the mouse is better for some applications so it is good to have both handy. The gestures are much easier and better with a trackpad.

inodes

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2011
....a quick update for anyone else faced with a similar situation or dilemma to mine. The trackpad has helped me a lot in my wrist pain. It has almost stopped. I hardly use the mouse. Although the mouse is better for some applications so it is good to have both handy. The gestures are much easier and better with a trackpad.

Very glad to hear this Ryan.

I was one of the posters that recommended the Trackpad on the basis of using one with my Air and my old iMac.

I purchased a new iMac 2012 last week and did not hesitate is ticking the "Trackpad" instead of "Magic Mouse" button.

ryan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Very glad to hear this Ryan.

I was one of the posters that recommended the Trackpad on the basis of using one with my Air and my old iMac.

I purchased a new iMac 2012 last week and did not hesitate is ticking the "Trackpad" instead of "Magic Mouse" button.
Thanks Inodes. I hardly used the mouse now unless for certain applications. However, saying that most people when that are buying a new Mac will often have no experience of a trackpad and it would be quite alien to them. We were all more or less raised with mouses. And that's what most people know. And people are creatures of habit, so we stick to what we know....

Thank you for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.