Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpfry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2013
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to run GTAIV on a new 2013 MacBook Air with Bootcamp. I can get everything to work, but the game thinks I only have 53 MBs of dedicated GPU memory and so sets all graphics to the lowest setting. However, I know that the integrated GPU (Intel HD Graphics 5000) reserves up to 1 GB of system memory. I don't know much about computers, but I'm guessing that the game is picking up the 53 MBs located on the GPU and not the 1 GB it's using from the system.

This stinks because GTAIV won't let you up the graphics if it detects that you are going above your dedicated GPU memory, so I can't raise the graphics above the minimum. I don't mind so much about graphics, it's just that I can't raise the default 800x600 resolution where it's practically unplayable. Any thoughts? Is my guess right? If so, is there anyway to fix the problem?

Thanks!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to run GTAIV on a new 2013 MacBook Air with Bootcamp. I can get everything to work, but the game thinks I only have 53 MBs of dedicated GPU memory and so sets all graphics to the lowest setting. However, I know that the integrated GPU (Intel HD Graphics 5000) reserves up to 1 GB of system memory. I don't know much about computers, but I'm guessing that the game is picking up the 53 MBs located on the GPU and not the 1 GB it's using from the system.

This stinks because GTAIV won't let you up the graphics if it detects that you are going above your dedicated GPU memory, so I can't raise the graphics above the minimum. I don't mind so much about graphics, it's just that I can't raise the default 800x600 resolution where it's practically unplayable. Any thoughts? Is my guess right? If so, is there anyway to fix the problem?

Thanks!

Hi jpfry,

Sorry to hear you're having a few issues with your graphics through BootCamp. Best thing to try is go to the following website through Internet Explorer (I'm really sorry, but you have to use IE to go to this URL. It doesn't work correctly through Chrome or other browsers). http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

Once you've done that, install the Java Applet and it'll show you if there's a newer GPU update for the HD 5000 (these only show up on this website, not through Windows Updates or anything). Also update anything else that it can find.

Could you kindly give this a go and let me know if you have any luck with it?

Speak soon. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.