Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After sending beta invites to a number of users in recent weeks, Apple has apparently decided to open the iWork for iCloud beta to all registered users with an Apple ID. The beta, which can be accessed through the standard iCloud login page, contains full access to in-browser versions of Apple's iWork software suite, including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote, in addition to existing iCloud services.
iworkforicloud.png
Apple first introduced iWork for iCloud during its annual Worldwide Developers Conference back in June, and sent invites to registered developers soon after before gradually adding non-developer users. The web services work on both Mac and Windows computers in various browsers with support for Chrome, Safari, and Internet Explorer, as well as mobile devices. iCloud itself also received an iOS 7-inspired makeover earlier this month on the beta site, although iWork for iCloud icons on the beta site have so far retained their iOS 6 look. The revamped iCloud site with iWork for iCloud is expected to officially launch this fall.

Article Link: Apple Opens iWork for iCloud Beta to All Users

jsf8x

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
Works great for me, I love it. Been using it during the beta and its incredibly useful for me.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
Does anyone know if it works on ChromeOS?

Leo Laporte tried it on Macbreak Weekly with a Google Pixel, it worked.

Hebrew text is, as always with Apple products, not working well. The letters show up in reversed order (Hebrew/Arabic are written right-to-left).

I opened a bug, I guess like previous issues (iWork for Mac, iBooks Author), no one will fix this :(.

kingben

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2013
It works in a web page. If chrome OS can't support it then I'm not sure what chrome can do. Isn't that operating system entirely web based?

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
I just hope they update the iWork suite and make it free for OS X & iOS, that might make a (little) dent in the MS monopoly when all iOS users suddenly have a functional word processor available on their phone and in iCloud.

Still don't think they will.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
I wish iWork for iCloud would be more like DropBox.

Finder integration is an absolute must for this kind of thing when you've got a lot of documents.

Also, I once lost three days worth of work while using Pages with iCloud. I was on the phone to Apple Support for almost an hour trying to get it sorted, but it turned out my Pages file got corrupted while it was syncing… never again!

(Just tried it out very briefly… lots of formatting errors when it comes to text wrapping and photographs in Pages!)

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Leo Laporte tried it on Macbreak Weekly with a Google Pixel, it worked.

Hebrew text is, as always with Apple products, not working well. The letters show up in reversed order (Hebrew/Arabic are written right-to-left).

I opened a bug, I guess like previous issues (iWork for Mac, iBooks Author), no one will fix this :(.

Thank you. I have been considering what to get my wife for her next computer, and considering she does mostly web browsing and emailing, but some office document work and she is adament about having a real keyboard, I was considering a chromebook or ipad with keyboard, but ipad with keyboard is not only a lot more expensive, but also kinda clunky.

walexx

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Sydney
I noticed this a few hours ago and imported an excel document that I use all the time which is stored in dropbox.

It works great and as this document is something I constantly update on a monthly basis and I can now update it on any computer anywhere without needing my mac. Pretty awesome stuff really as its very convenient.

I just wish I can access my documents on my iPad now as I have the numbers app but the document doesnt appear so obviously isnt syncing with icloud back to the iPad.

Hmmm anyone know when this feature will be available ?.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Nice to have another option, but prefer to do my processing work with my computer. It will work for me with light projects, but would not try any large ones. Guess we will see if people adopt it or not. Time has a quick way of telling its usefulness.

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
I think TC03 was saying, "I want that black laptop, but I want it to be running OSX."

Oh. It doesn't look special to me. In fact, it almost looks fake. The screen has very square corners and the base look like it's more rounded. Maybe it's an optical illusion though.

lssmit02

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2004
I'm with you. This seems like a great idea but I'm for local apps and Dropbox. Why not utilize all that processing power on your desktop or laptop? I can't see myself ever using iWork for iCloud.

This doesn't replace your native OSX apps, just supplements them. You can access your personal files even if you are working on a different computer. For example, you can have access to your personal documents at work, without having to put them on your work computer.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
Having tried this it's actually massively nicer to use than Google Docs. Apple finally doing something in the cloud that isn't anaemic, unreliable and generally meh? Hope so.

----------

Well duh.

But make it into a hackintosh and it will run OSX. Just saying.

You'll be lucky. Very few laptops are hackintoshable if you want everything to work or work smoothly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.