Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
Hi, I bought an iPhone 5 last week from Bangkok, a reputed store.
Its a Korean made, because it has KCC-xxx-xxxx on the back panel, unlike the USA iPhones.

Im able to install apps, connect to iTunes and do everything, but Im not able to UPDATE or RESTORE the iOS .

I posted this on Apple Forums and they said, this phone might have been jailbroken or hacked to unlock, and its not a official unlocked by any carrier.

So, how do we find this out, whether it was hacked or whatever ?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
What firmware version is on it ?
Are you sure it's a genuine iPhone ?
Hacking or unlocking an iPhone does not interfere with updating the firmware, however on an iPhone 5 you can only install 6.1.4 now.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
Did they instruct you not to update, or did you try and is not able to update?

I am unaware of any 'hacks' using jailbreak to unlock the iPhone 5. So unless you have a sim imposer (very easy to spot, it is a physical chip that slides between your sim and the tray), I don't see how it could be.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
What firmware version is on it ?
Are you sure it's a genuine iPhone ?
Hacking or unlocking an iPhone does not interfere with updating the firmware, however on an iPhone 5 you can only install 6.1.4 now.

1. Check my ABOUT screenshot, http://d.pr/i/QcN4

2. Of course yes, as I had checked the serial number on Apple website and it said, yes its a genuine iPhone 5.

3. Im trying to install iOS7, and I have done this on other 2 iPhone 5 of my friends already. Just this one keeps on showing me errors.

Let me know, how to proceed.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
fact is even if your jailbroken or unlocked it would not have anything to do with this. Other then that I'm with dhlizard. IOS 7 official release is only a couple weeks away. ;)

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
1. Check my ABOUT screenshot, http://d.pr/i/QcN4

2. Of course yes, as I had checked the serial number on Apple website and it said, yes its a genuine iPhone 5.

3. Im trying to install iOS7, and I have done this on other 2 iPhone 5 of my friends already. Just this one keeps on showing me errors.

Let me know, how to proceed.

iOS 7 isn't officially out yet. iOS 6.1.4 is the latest version you can get. You're not going to get much, if any, support on iOS 7 issues here

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Just buy a developers account and install iOS 7. Or just wait until September (or October) for the public release. I'm hearing early September so its only a couple weeks.

NEvolution

macrumors regular
May 2, 2010
Hong Kong
The serial number, as posted, is not a retail unit. It has been swapped before and therefore is a service unit.

Device is unlocked with activation policy Korea KT Unlocked.

In addition, remaining warranty is less than 5 months.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
The serial number, as posted, is not a retail unit. It has been swapped before and therefore is a service unit.

Device is unlocked with activation policy Korea KT Unlocked.

In addition, remaining warranty is less than 5 months.

1. What does that mean ? Retail Unit or Service Unit ? And how does that affect ?

2. activation policy Korea KT Unlocked ? Is that an official Korea telecom company ? And I called up Apple USA iPhone support, they said, the phone is officially unlocked and is legit.

3. Yes warranty is 5 months left. If it has some issues, do I need to take it to Korea to get an instant replacement ?

NEvolution

macrumors regular
May 2, 2010
Hong Kong
1. What does that mean ? Retail Unit or Service Unit ? And how does that affect ?

2. activation policy Korea KT Unlocked ? Is that an official Korea telecom company ? And I called up Apple USA iPhone support, they said, the phone is officially unlocked and is legit.

3. Yes warranty is 5 months left. If it has some issues, do I need to take it to Korea to get an instant replacement ?
1. Retail Unit is a device direct from a retail box. Service Unit is a replacement unit for devices taken in for repair.

2. Sorry I don't know if that is a carrier or not.

3. iPhone carries a local warranty as per the Terms and Agreements. Hardware repairs 'may' need to be serviced in the region of purchase.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
You are not jailbroken. You can't go back to older fws with the iPhone 5.

I won't tell you how to install iOS7 , but should be easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.