Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timmbo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
England
Hi everyone,

I have an iPhone 5 on PAYM with EE, that I started in April. I'm moving to New York for work for 6 months, and they will provide me with a US sim card to use whilst I'm out there.

As I understand it, my phone is locked to EE. I called them up to ask to unlock it, but for some reason unknown to me, they have a policy that they will not unlock phones that are 'younger' than 6 months - this won't be until October.

I need to be able to use my phone for work when I move out there (next week). What are my options in getting it unlocked? Any help much appreciated.

Superman80

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2011
London
Hi everyone,

I have an iPhone 5 on PAYM with EE, that I started in April. I'm moving to New York for work for 6 months, and they will provide me with a US sim card to use whilst I'm out there.

As I understand it, my phone is locked to EE. I called them up to ask to unlock it, but for some reason unknown to me, they have a policy that they will not unlock phones that are 'younger' than 6 months - this won't be until October.

I need to be able to use my phone for work when I move out there (next week). What are my options in getting it unlocked? Any help much appreciated.

Ebay, but expect to pay a premium as there are not many EE/Orange/Tmobile unlockers around, last time i looked it was about £100

ant1298

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
Tell them your going to leave for the US and if they make your trip easier then you'll use them again. If not then get another phone (budget or otherwise) and use that. And on your return don't use EE.

If they don't wanna help you, considering they have no US alternative network for you, then they don't need your money :)

Companies need customer service yo preserve loyal customers. If they don't provide it people will move. 3 have a policy of a month on any phone, even of it belongs to you (ie you paid for it in full). Its silly but they make the rules.

Anthony

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Hi everyone,

It's actually worse than that, they won't accept the request for unlocking until 6 months have elapsed, at that time they will process the unlock, this takes them a further 28 days (and people have been known to wait 45 days).

It will be between 7 and 8 months before its processed and unlocked.

----------

Tell them your going to leave for the US and if they make your trip easier then you'll use them again. If not then get another phone (budget or otherwise) and use that. And on your return don't use EE.

They don't care, odds are he has a 24 month contract they will hold him to, EE have taken over the Orange way of customer service, "screw the customer, be as obstructive as you can".

ant1298

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
It's actually worse than that, they won't accept the request for unlocking until 6 months have elapsed, at that time they will process the unlock, this takes them a further 28 days (and people have been known to wait 45 days).

It will be between 7 and 8 months before its processed and unlocked.

----------

They don't care, odds are he has a 24 month contract they will hold him to, EE have taken over the Orange way of customer service, "screw the customer, be as obstructive as you can".
They don't care, correct. But he won't be the only one dissatisfied with the service I'm sure. If they do it too enough people they'll suffer in the long run. And I'm sure this chap won't recommend them to any friends or family so despite a seemingly small problem. It might affect them eventually.

Customer service rumours and feedback spreads quickly and people would rather pay more for a better service then get screwed over by obstructive customer service reps.

Anthony

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
They don't care, correct. But he won't be the only one dissatisfied with the service I'm sure. If they do it too enough people they'll suffer in the long run. And I'm sure this chap won't recommend them to any friends or family so despite a seemingly small problem. It might affect them eventually.

Customer service rumours and feedback spreads quickly and people would rather pay more for a better service then get screwed over by obstructive customer service reps.

Anthony

That's true, but Orange have had that attitude since they were taken over by France Telecom.

Unfortunately the management positions at the merged EE seem to have been filled by the Orange drones who don't care about decent customer service.

People only learn what a bad attitude Orange/EE have when things go wrong, but they are trapped for 2 years by then, and many people just sign up without researching the network, so they have a steady stream of new customers to treat like dirt.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
I know this is really unhelpful but O2 allow you to unlock on day 1 for free through an automated online form, usually completes in 30 mins.

So I can see no reason why EE would make you wait 7-8 months on a contract.

My only suggestion is to find a very well priced 4s and sell it on your return.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Not gonna lie considering leaving EE contract up sept 3rd giving me plenty of time to research other providers like 02.

O2 seem to be a more promising option to me.

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey

Anthony

Companies should realize customer service is one of the most important aspects of a company. One wrong customer would never recommend that company again and this will take it's toll eventually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.