Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Sorry if this has been mentioned already, I did a search of this subforum but didn't find this specific topic.

Anyway, when the Find My Friends app update showed up yesterday, I was a little surprised to find that it still had the same leather look as before. Alongside Game Center, Find My Friends was often criticized as an example of inappropriate use of skeuomorphism, so I was expecting that to change to match the more "flat" look of iOS 7.

Do you think the app would be eventually changed to a flat look, and if so, when do you think it will happen? And how do you feel about the possibility that on iOS 7 launch, some of the Apple apps might still be sporting a skeuomorphistoc look, while others have been made flat?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Sorry if this has been mentioned already, I did a search of this subforum but didn't find this specific topic.

Anyway, when the Find My Friends app update showed up yesterday, I was a little surprised to find that it still had the same leather look as before. Alongside Game Center, Find My Friends was often criticized as an example of inappropriate use of skeuomorphism, so I was expecting that to change to match the more "flat" look of iOS 7.

Do you think the app would be eventually changed to a flat look, and if so, when do you think it will happen? And how do you feel about the possibility that on iOS 7 launch, some of the Apple apps might still be sporting a skeuomorphistoc look, while others have been made flat?

They will all adopt the new look by the time of release.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011

Expect to see updates for all of your Apple apps on release day.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Find my friends, iBooks and Find my iPhone are not bundled with iOS so they will receive a new design when iOS 7 is out.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
They will all adopt the new look by the time of release.

Expect to see updates for all of your Apple apps on release day.

Find my friends, iBooks and Find my iPhone are not bundled with iOS so they will receive a new design when iOS 7 is out.

That's what I thought before, but then what was *this* update for? I haven't noticed any difference, other than the map now looking like iOS 7 map.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Find My iPhone:
3d48fa1c-e01b-46e0-af12-c2ffcd6ebb25.jpg

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's what I thought before, but then what was *this* update for? I haven't noticed any difference, other than the map now looking like iOS 7 map.
Based on the changelog it was for some stability/performance/security/speed/fixes. This is meant for those on iOS 6 and before as well, so more than likely won't really be an iOS 7 update until that's actually publicly released.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Leather will soon be removed from all Apple products. Apple recently hired a PETA consultant.

In future Apple apps, there will always be a notice telling you "No animals were harmed in the development of this app."

----------

Yes, but it's soft Corinthian leather.

I’ll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition’s flames before I give him up!

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I’ll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition’s flames before I give him up!

We tried it once your way, Khan, are you game for a rematch? Khan, I'm laughing at the "superior intellect."

Best Star Trek movie, period:)

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Still kind of weird that since there was a Find My iPhone beta released along with the iOS 7 beta, that it didn't already have the new design.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Still kind of weird that since there was a Find My iPhone beta released along with the iOS 7 beta, that it didn't already have the new design.

Looking back on it, that was weird. No new design and not even the new icon. It also hadn't been updated at all since they put it in the Dev center.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.