Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
This is exactly why I sold my iPhone 5 and switched to the HTC One. I'm disappointed by the screen size.

It's not that I think Android is the better OS; it's that the iPhone is just small now. I don't need a screen size like the monstrosity that is the Note 2, but the 4" on the 5 feels cramped when I compare it to the 4.7" on my One. The extra .35" on either size makes a difference, and this is what disappoints me about the iPhone 5S or C or whatever its called.

Apple says they want to give their customers the best one-handed experience, and I get that. And maybe I just have giant hands, but on the One I can reach the top apps without straining my thumbs. I get that not everyone has my sized hands, but my point is the one-handed argument isn't what it was in the past.

It's been a challenge getting my iOS ecosystem ported over to Android, and Android is a hell of a lot less convenient. But here I am, looking at my One, knowing full well that I'm settling for it, but what else can I do? The bigger screen on this phone makes a huge difference. And that's not hyperbole.

Maybe the 6 will have a larger 4.5-4.7" screen. I hope it does. If it does, I'll happily come back.

This will never, ever be an intelligent nor popular reason to switch from an iPhone to something else.

Not ever. You may think this kind of thing is happening, because of how susceptible to marketing you are...but it's not. The opposite is still happening (see Android to iPhone switching data from last week).

ffmed124

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
Ohio
I don't get the big deal, it's an iPhone! They really haven't changed the looks to much since they started making them, it's not like we don't know what to expect.

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Just by looking at the shot of the back with the dual led flash I guess we can assume that most of the current ip5 cases won't fit/will interfere with the new flash, sucks that I'll probably have to get a new case :/
So there are people who already have an iPhone 5 who are considering getting the 5S? Do you need dual LED flash and a fingerprint sensor in your home button that badly?

This is coming from a guy who went from a 3G, to a 4, to a 5. Apple has never been able to convince me to (literally) buy into this "S" BS.

----------

Because Apple lacks real innovation and the front looks the same since the iPhone 1.0.
FALSE

The front of the white iPhone 4 was white. First time they'd changed the front. That's why I waited ten months after the release of the iPhone 4 to get a white one when it finally came out -- I was sick of looking at the exact same thing on the front.

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
Because Apple lacks real innovation and the front looks the same since the iPhone 1.0.

What? You want it kidney shaped? Maybe trapezoidal? It never fails that some yahoo says something dim about innovation regarding a part that has limited potential for change.

Is Steve spinning in his grave?

Are you switching to Android?

Is Apple going to go out of business?

How about saying something smart about Cook's commitment to secrecy? Haven't heard that line for 2-3 posts.

Aug 26, 2008
This will never, ever be an intelligent nor popular reason to switch from an iPhone to something else.

Not ever. You may think this kind of thing is happening, because of how susceptible to marketing you are...but it's not. The opposite is still happening (see Android to iPhone switching data from last week).

Errr..I know plenty of people that have made the switch for this exact reason.

I also know iPhone owners who complain non stop about the tiny size of the screen.

It is happening. Period.

TimeSquareDesi

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2013
I'm totes New Yorkian
I agree that the iPhone needs a bigger screen size but nothing crazy (as you said) like the Note. The thing for me is, the iPhone is so stable, I will literally purchase any model they make even if other competitors have larger screens, faster procs, etc. sounds back asswards, i was never like this before, but i personally want stability over any of the other bells and whistles.

It would be nice if they had a larger screen for the 5s or the 6 when it comes out, but regardless, i'll be buying one so long as iOS 7 is as stable as 6 has been for me :)

This is exactly why I sold my iPhone 5 and switched to the HTC One. I'm disappointed by the screen size.

It's not that I think Android is the better OS; it's that the iPhone is just small now. I don't need a screen size like the monstrosity that is the Note 2, but the 4" on the 5 feels cramped when I compare it to the 4.7" on my One. The extra .35" on either size makes a difference, and this is what disappoints me about the iPhone 5S or C or whatever its called.

Apple says they want to give their customers the best one-handed experience, and I get that. And maybe I just have giant hands, but on the One I can reach the top apps without straining my thumbs. I get that not everyone has my sized hands, but my point is the one-handed argument isn't what it was in the past.

It's been a challenge getting my iOS ecosystem ported over to Android, and Android is a hell of a lot less convenient. But here I am, looking at my One, knowing full well that I'm settling for it, but what else can I do? The bigger screen on this phone makes a huge difference. And that's not hyperbole.

Maybe the 6 will have a larger 4.5-4.7" screen. I hope it does. If it does, I'll happily come back.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
geez, how long until we get a Jersey Shore approved Ed Hardy iPhone?
:p
Seriously, I actually prefer that blue iPhone over the "champagne" version.
But then I don't have spinners on my rims, and what rims my car does have involve these old-timey gadgets called "hubcaps".

Actually having hubcaps is more getto than regular rims. They shouldn't exist in this day and age. As for champagne, we don't even know if that color is going to be exclusive for the oriental market, a market where gold colored things is seen as fancy. Cultural differences ftw

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I'm probably hallucinating (and wishful thinking) but does it look a tad wider in the pics than the iphone 5 lying next to me?:eek:

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
An iPhone 4-ish two-tone black and champagne would have looked better than white and champagne. I miss the two-tone black option.

Either combo seems too 1970's to me. Might as well make an Avocado green one.

Last edited:

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008

And that's where I stopped reading.

----------

70 Pictures? So much for Tim Cook "Doubling Down" on secrecy.

You people are so clever!One of these in every thread!NEVER GETS OLD

----------

Either combo seems too 1970's to me. Might as well make an Avocado green one.

I'm holding out for Harvest Gold!

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
This color reminds me of the original iPhone more than anything else. So yes, Steve WOULD have done it :).

5129993676_91f15b206c_o.jpg

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Actually having hubcaps is more getto than regular rims. They shouldn't exist in this day and age. As for champagne, we don't even know if that color is going to be exclusive for the oriental market, a market where gold colored things is seen as fancy. Cultural differences ftw

Wheels, they're wheels :)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
nope, hubcaps are wheel covers or wheel trims (which are decorative), not wheels.

You referred to wheels as rims, check your post, unless I totally misread it [?] :)

I know a few things about wheels, but thanks for the info :D

Sorry, meant to add/edit (coordinating some application deployment this evening ... slightly distracted and wouldn't even had noticed this if my Taptalk notification hadn't made a racket on my iPhone), it's just a peeve of mine, saying rim vs. wheel. I'm sure you meant wheel (and not in the context of a hubcap, which I'm actually old enough to remember when they were "cool" :) )

Peace.

Last edited:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
You referred to wheels as rims, check your post, unless I totally misread it [?] :)

I know a few things about wheels, but thanks for the info :D

Sorry, meant to add/edit (coordinating some application deployment this evening ... slightly distracted and wouldn't even had noticed this if my Taptalk notification hadn't made a racket on my iPhone), it's just a peeve of mine, saying rim vs. wheel. I'm sure you meant wheel (and not in the context of a hubcap, which I'm actually old enough to remember when they were "cool" :) )

Peace.

lol, your edit makes things more confusing.
I am not a mechanic, but I meant rims, not wheels in my post. Yes, rims are part of the wheel after 19th century, but regular rims of today replace the crappy black rims that need a hubcap to cover them to look good so I stand by my post. :)

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
Errr..I know plenty of people that have made the switch for this exact reason.

I also know iPhone owners who complain non stop about the tiny size of the screen.

It is happening. Period.

Absolutely right. I have no need for a 5.5" screen like the Note 2, but there is no reason they can't go to 4.5" It would make a huge difference and I too know many people that complain about that #1 with the iphone.

It is a perfectly valid reason to switch and many have.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
lol, your edit makes things more confusing.
I am not a mechanic, but I meant rims, not wheels in my post. Yes, rims are part of the wheel after 19th century, but regular rims of today replace the crappy black rims that need a hubcap to cover them to look good so I stand by my post. :)

Hahaha, sorry about that, I'm kind of loopy tonight (the whole week actually), yeah we're on the same page, even I'm not making any sense :D

Back to arguing about gold phones and whatnot ... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.