Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoven

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
Columbus, OH (USA)
Hi all,

OK. Now don't laugh, but I have 2 very old versions of FileMaker running on my OS9/PowerMac G3... one is Claris FileMaker Pro 2.1v3 (1994), and one is Nashuba Systems FileMaker Plus 2.1 (1987?!?). Yes, really:) , and they still work fine for what they're doing.
However....
I am now going to replace the G3 with a new Mac, and those won't run under OSX. So, it's upgrade time. Well, OK, not upgrade exactly; I'll be buying a new copy of Filemaker Pro (8 or 7?).
My question is... is there even the slightest snowball's chance that I can import the databases from these 2 old versions into the new Filemaker? Maybe a utility or a process via Excel or anything? Otherwise... OY! :(
Thanks!

Hoven

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
Columbus, OH (USA)
Hoven said:
Hi all,

OK. Now don't laugh, but I have 2 very old versions of FileMaker running on my OS9/PowerMac G3... one is Claris FileMaker Pro 2.1v3 (1994), and one is Nashuba Systems FileMaker Plus 2.1 (1987?!?). {...} can import the databases from these 2 old versions into the new Filemaker{...}

Well, I think I may have answered my own question. It turns out that even the 1987 version can do a delimited export of the data which I can read with Excel. So, I'm guessing I won't have too much trouble importing that "flat file" into Filemaker Pro 8.

Thanks anyway!

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
Hoven said:
Well, I think I may have answered my own question. It turns out that even the 1987 version can do a delimited export of the data which I can read with Excel. So, I'm guessing I won't have too much trouble importing that "flat file" into Filemaker Pro 8.

Thanks anyway!

The answer to the question:

FileMaker Pro 1.0 can import from FileMaker Plus. (PS: Will you sell your copy of FileMaker Plus to me?)

FileMaker 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 can all import from FileMaker Pro 1.0, although only on a Mac.

FileMaker 7 and 8 can import from FileMaker 5/6.

And I have all of those. (Except FileMaker Plus. Well, I have a French version. I want an English version).

If you want, I'll convert your actual FileMaker files (layouts and all) to FileMaker 8 and send them back to you.

Reactions: avatar2k

ownry108

macrumors newbie
need help with Filemaker Plus files

I saw this thread and perhaps someone can assist. I have 3 filemaker Plus files on an older G4 OS 9.2 that I want to get converted to newer Filemaker but don't have the software to make the transitions jumps.

We cannot figure out how to make a delimited export. If someone can help me in this area, I would appreciate it.

Or Can someone help me with the transition upgrade? We could correspond and I could send you a copy of the files? Nothing really confidential. It is a listing of a bunch of audio recordings made years ago that i need to convert so I can retire the G4 and use only OS X versions.

Thanks in advance.
-Kent

Hoven

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
Columbus, OH (USA)
I saw this thread and perhaps someone can assist. I have 3 filemaker Plus files on an older G4 OS 9.2 that I want to get converted to newer Filemaker but don't have the software to make the transitions jumps. [...]
Thanks in advance.
-Kent

It's been a very long time since I've done this, and I can't remember the specific menu commands, but....

You don't need special software. The old FileMaker has an export option somewhere in one of the menus. Tell it you want to export as a delimited file (tab is better than comma) or a cvs file. Then, import that file into your new FileMaker. Again, it's been a while... I can't recall if you import and then tell it the field names, or if you have to create a new database with the field names from the old database and then import into that.

Either way, it's not too bad. Although if you have repeating fields, those don't export or import very well, so you may have manual work to do after you're done.

Hope this helps a little,
===[ Hoven ]===

Hoven

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
Columbus, OH (USA)
Hi Hoven
Thanks for responding. Unforturnately, we did look for export option and could not find it. 2 of us looked. :( We inherited this Mac and not quite sure what else to do.
THanks
==K :)

Well, the old Mac I had is now unplugged and sitting in storage so I can't check.
Tell ya what, though. If you send me the menu items and the list of commands under each, I might be able to remember/help. :apple:

alanmossman

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2013
@ ahunter - back in 2006 you wrote

FileMaker Pro 1.0 can import from FileMaker Plus. (PS: Will you sell your copy of FileMaker Plus to me?)

FileMaker 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 can all import from FileMaker Pro 1.0, although only on a Mac.

And I have all of those. (Except FileMaker Plus. Well, I have a French version. I want an English version).

If you want, I'll convert your actual FileMaker files (layouts and all) to FileMaker 8 and send them back to you.

I wonder if you are still able to do that.

I have FP10 and some FM2 & FM7 files created as part of a community project in the mid 1990s. I wonder if you (or anyone else) could help me translate them?

Alan

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Ahunter has not been on the board for 3 years so I doubt you'll get an answer from him.

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2016

ahunter3: i hope you are doing well. I know this is an OLD post but could i possibly email you an old filemaker pro file?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.