Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sammorama

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2013
Definately go micro four thirds or NEX over entry level or APSC DSLR.

Less weight, less cost, excellent performance.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007

I looked at the NEX line because I'm thinking about upgrading myself, and it's priced very closely to entry-level DSLR from Canon and Nikon.

Seems to me like you gain portability but lose lens variety. Is there another benefit to going with mirrorless?

jerrah

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
Australia
What lenses do you want to buy? How many lenses are you going to buy? I have more lenses than most (including SLR lenses on an adapter fitted to the NEX) as most people seem to get around with a kit lens or possibly one other.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I'd had a few Sony Alpha SLT cameras and really like them. Very good image quality, built-in GPS and many 3rd-party lens makers make lenses for them. I know Sony SLTs aren't as popular as Nikon and Canon, but shouldn't be ruled out. I'd say that I'm a rebel, but then I'd be a Canon. Ba-dum-sch :D

throttlemeister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2009
Netherlands
What lenses do you want to buy? How many lenses are you going to buy? I have more lenses than most (including SLR lenses on an adapter fitted to the NEX) as most people seem to get around with a kit lens or possibly one other.

If someone buys a dSLR but only gets/uses the kit lens, I would argue they should have bought a compact, not a dSLR or mirrorless. There are great compacts out there, with good range, a quality lens, and full manual control if needed.

The whole idea of milc and dslr is that you change lenses.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
I looked at the NEX line because I'm thinking about upgrading myself, and it's priced very closely to entry-level DSLR from Canon and Nikon.

Seems to me like you gain portability but lose lens variety. Is there another benefit to going with mirrorless?

I chose the Fuji X-E1 over the NEX for myself. The Fuji X range cameras have excellent IQ, portability and a growing number of good quality lenses at reasonable prices plus there are adapters for other makes of lens. Worth checking out.

ggf

macrumors member
May 24, 2008
online cameras purchase

Once you decide what you want to buy check out http://www.citiwideonline.com this has the best online camera prices I have found. But it is always worth checking local suppliers particularly for superseded models which are often sold at significant discounts

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I chose the Fuji X-E1 over the NEX for myself. The Fuji X range cameras have excellent IQ, portability and a growing number of good quality lenses at reasonable prices plus there are adapters for other makes of lens. Worth checking out.

Yeah, I've been looking at them, too. More expensive system to buy into than the NEX, but in all the reviews I've read, people are pretty unanimous in how much they love them.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
If someone buys a dSLR but only gets/uses the kit lens, I would argue they should have bought a compact, not a dSLR or mirrorless. There are great compacts out there, with good range, a quality lens, and full manual control if needed...

I think changing the lens is ONE advantage of the SLR. The other is the very fast handing and near zero shutter lag. and then the larger sensor. Even the APS-C or DX size sensore a huge compared to what is inside a compact camera so the noise you get in low light is much better with the SLR. Next the SLR will have many of the functions exposed on buttons and not so many down inside menus, faster to get at.

But if you have the SLR it's kind of a waste not to at least pick up a faster f/1.8 or f/1.4 lens.

Iphone4sinwhite

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
I was looking for a dslr before taking a very scenic UK trip in a few weeks. I wanted something with decent water resistance so I could get any shot I wanted and have the piece if mind of no damage if it drizzled at all. I purchased a Pentax K-30 with a highly rated 18-135mm water resistant lens. The camera is FAR better than I expected. The pictures are amazing! I believe it's the only camera below $1000 with dual adjustament wheels which has been great for learning to become good at photography. If you will every want to take pictures when it's wet outside or at the beach don't overlook Pentax. I'm very glad I didn't.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

The problem with them is the limited range of lenses - or you have to use adaptors.

The DSLR is also a quite fast and feels more natural to use in all conditions.

In any case, even a used D90 Nikon with some really good lenses will give you excellent results. Now I'm biased since I'm a Nikon shop as far as my camera gear, but I've used Canon before and still understand them pretty well.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I started out with a Nikon D3200 and can assure you that it's a great camera. It actually performs well beyond what a beginner can possibly need. The only reason I would recommend it over the D3100 is because of the better sensor and updated tech, and the price difference isn't that big.

Like everyone else before me, I will say the same thing: camera lens > camera body. I recommend getting the camera body only + the new Sigma 17-70mm. It's a very versatile lens and probably the only lens you'll need for a while. In my opinion, you'll find more benefit in this lens because you get:
  • larger apertures (f/2.8-4.0 vs f/3.5-5.6)
  • larger focal range (17-70mm vs 18-55mm)
  • it has macro capability (Nikon's kit lens doesn't)
  • like Nikon's 18-55mm, the Sigma has optical stabilization (Nikon calls it VR) and a focusing motor that'll allow it to autofocus with entry-level DSLRs, such as the D3200

I know - from firsthand experience - that focal range and aperture numbers can seem trivial in the beginning but they make a HUGE difference. On paper, 3.5 isn't that much bigger than 2.8 but when you're trying to shoot in low light, you'll see just how big a difference it makes. This lens costs $499 and if you get a good deal on the camera body you should be able to stay pretty close to your budget. You can read more about the lens here.

Last edited:

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
The problem with them is the limited range of lenses - or you have to use adaptors.

Micro 4/3 system offers just about every lens a beginner to advanced user could want, generally at much smaller sizes and prices.

And how exactly is the fact that it can also use other systems lenses a bad thing??? Because I need an adapter? hmm.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Micro 4/3 system offers just about every lens a beginner to advanced user could want, generally at much smaller sizes and prices.

And how exactly is the fact that it can also use other systems lenses a bad thing??? Because I need an adapter? hmm.

Why don't you just say what you really mean instead of beating around the bush. :rolleyes:

What happens on a 4/3 camera when you increase the ISO to 3200?

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
First thing you need to do is play around with a Canon and a Nikon and see which menu system you like best. Other than that, they're basically the same quality.. so brand means nothing between the two.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
I'll add my voice to the chorus on lens > body.

I'd far rather buy a cheap DSLR and a superior lens than a superior DSLR and a cheap lens.

Garbage in, garbage out. No matter what the camera body happens to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.