Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamisonbaines

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2007
CA
Pebble is like the Mac Plus or the 2001 iPod, not for everyone. The ramp up of the product is pretty impressive IMO. They'll need to work quickly as bigger corp's target the category but so far it's cool watching the progress. If I had more disposable income I'd pick one up to play with.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Can a regular watch link to your phone and preview messages and the like? no.
Hence the "smart watch" name.

Depends on what you mean by "smart."
I think a real "smart watch" won't need to be slaved by Bluetooth to a handset.
It would have a cell data network connection and/or wi-fi and work by itself.
And if necessary, it could display more detailed info on your handset's bigger screen.
But hey, that's just me.

And yes, I do see your (and many others') point. Any device on your wrist that
can do what the Pebble does is way smarter than your average watch.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I would love to say how great and useful the Pebble is, or how terrible it is, but sadly, all I can comment on is how horrendous their Customer Support/Communication/Delivery skills are.

I was an original Kickstarter backer, and have STILL not received my Pebble.

They were record breaking on KS, but what a fiasco it has turned into for many people. Kind of burned me from using/supporting KS anymore too.

I'll probably have an Apple iWatch before I ever receive anything from Pebble.

Tweet at them - they seem to respond to those more than any other method. Both times I complained on Twitter about the status of my Pebble, it had moved to the next step the very next day. (Shipping being the last one.)

jaaedwards

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
I've worn mine for about a month now. It has a surprising impact and I wouldn't be without it.

I no longer fish my phone out of pocket, click it, glance at it, click it off, and drop it back into my pocket. Ever. I can't miss a text or a call, so I no longer think that I might have done. It is surprising how fast the tyranny of connection has built up and what an impact it is to be free of it.

I no longer sit at the bar and get my phone out when receiving a random text, interrupting my conversation. I glance down, and glance back.

Best of all? For the first time in years, I have something a little new. Remember when everyone had a different phone, and we'd sit and debate their relative merits, and every so often someone would have a really whacky one that would make you want to look and ask questions? No longer the case, ever. It is great to be in at the beginning of something new.

The Pebble crew are in there right at the start and good luck to them. Sure, the big boys will come in, and who knows where the market goes, but for now, if I was a betting man, I would place money on smart watches as the coolest and most culturally acceptable way of easing our ties to the handset.

bdrake47

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2012
Get Pebble or get refund?

Finally got Pebble to respond and make an attempt to do the right thing.

Their shipping department seems to be completely inept and can't manage to ship to an APO address I've had for four years....

Now I finally have the option of getting a refund from them, or having it shipped to a relative and re-mailed overseas.

I'd like to hear from some MR members, should I go ahead and get it or just get money back and wait it out for Apple? From those that have them, do you really use it daily, or has the novelty worn off? How is connectivity, battery life?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I'd like to hear from some MR members, should I go ahead and get it or just get money back and wait it out for Apple? From those that have them, do you really use it daily, or has the novelty worn off? How is connectivity, battery life?

Well, waiting is up to you - I try not to base purchasing decisions on rumors of upcoming items.

I do use it daily, and am finding more value in it with each update.

Connectivity is good - I can get 30 feet from my phone without losing connection.

Battery life is a bit shorter than predicted, but I have a *LOT* of notifications pop up, so not unexpected. I get about five days per charge with all my notifications on. I imagine I would get closer to their predicted 7 days if I didn't have as many notifications. (Which cause the backlight to come on, and trigger a vibration alarm.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.