Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jordan742

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2013
I recently bought a new 13.3' rMBP from Best Buy. After about a month of use, I've noticed that they had sold me the late 2012 model. I'm not concerned about the hardware upgrade from the late 2012 to the early 2013, however, I intend to resell the laptop eventually, and am concerned about the resell value.

What are my options in this situation? Can I go to Best Buy and ask for an exchange? Should I even be concerned? Or perhaps I purchased last year's model unknowingly, and I am in the wrong?

What would you do in my situation?

Jordan742

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2013
128; I'm debating going to Best Buy- but I'd like to see if anyone has any advice first. (The nearest Best Buy is 1 & 1/2 hour drive away.)

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
I recently bought a new 13.3' rMBP from Best Buy. After about a month of use, I've noticed that they had sold me the late 2012 model. I'm not concerned about the hardware upgrade from the late 2012 to the early 2013, however, I intend to resell the laptop eventually, and am concerned about the resell value.

What are my options in this situation? Can I go to Best Buy and ask for an exchange? Should I even be concerned? Or perhaps I purchased last year's model unknowingly, and I am in the wrong?

how come you noticed one month later, shouldn't you have checked that for or at least that's what I would have done. Hopefully they will help you out.

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain

The fact that you bought it recently doesn't mean they can't sell new and unopened 2012 models... Nonetheless, I recommend you to request an exchange and explain to them politely that you wanted initially a 2013 model...

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
128; I'm debating going to Best Buy- but I'd like to see if anyone has any advice first. (The nearest Best Buy is 1 & 1/2 hour drive away.)

The 2.5Ghz 128GB model is identical between late-2012 and early-2013, they even have the same model number. It didn't get updated.

The only one that got updated are the 2.6Ghz 256GB model and the 3.0Ghz i7.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Only if it was advertised as the 2013 model would I consider it a "mix-up". Best Buy isn't like an Apple store, they won't magically have ONLY the latest model in stock, they bought a stock of the 2012 models and are trying to sell out of them. Unless they advertised it as a "2013", they didn't take you for anything and don't owe you the newer model or a refund.

Just like when I bought my car (2 years ago tomorrow), I bought a 2011, as it turns out the 2012's came out a week later and had a feature as standard (on the model I bought) that I would have liked to have on mine. I couldn't refuse the deal I got on the trade-in so I kind of had to jump on what they had. I didn't go back demanding they give me a 2012 because they didn't tell me the 2012's would be on the lot the next week (or may have even been in the back lot). They wanted to sell out of 2011's so they had those out, same would be the case for the 2012 vs. 2013 Macs at Best Buy.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
It was not that obvious awhile ago if a laptop being offered on sale was a 2012 or 2013. Many here saw the MacMall add for a great deal on a new MBP only to find out later that they were unloading 2012 models.

Unless there was a misprint in Best Buy's offer, you don't have a beef... but their customer service may give you a refund.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.