Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katdemo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2013
I bought the phone off of ebay (I thought it was sprint but guy completely ripped me off) I've tried using an att sim(I cut it myself:) but it keeps telling me that "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.
The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone.Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information." :[ is there ANY way i can bypass the activation screen? or a sim card i can buy to unlock it? PLEASE HELP

Virginaustralia

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2013
I don't mind paying to get it unlocked, I'm just scared that it might not work :[
and thanks for the vide but that didn't work:(

It should work if you do it with a trusted person. Maybe find one locally so theres no conning you into it and you can see if it worked

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Bypassing activation isnt the issue. Your phone is provider locked. Some will unlock it but usually has to be done by the original owner via Sprint.

Report the guy to eBay.

katdemo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2013
Thanks! i actually know someone so i'll try it!
It should work if you do it with a trusted person. Maybe find one locally so theres no conning you into it and you can see if it worked

----------

I have contacted him but he hasn't replied:[ and I'm not sure if it's sprint or not how would i find out what carrier it is?
Bypassing activation isnt the issue. Your phone is provider locked. Some will unlock it but usually has to be done by the original owner via Sprint.

Report the guy to eBay.

swish2351

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
Michigan
You can take the phone to any Sprint or AT&T store (I can't remember if you need to go to the original carrier or the carrier you want) and they will unlock it for you, I believe for a fee

Also, make sure you open a dispute with PayPal and get your money back

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You can take the phone to any Sprint or AT&T store (I can't remember if you need to go to the original carrier or the carrier you want) and they will unlock it for you, I believe for a fee

Nope, not that easy.
They don't unlock for a fee.
You need to have an account with them and have fulfilled many other things to qualify for an unlock.
And a sprint iPhone unlock is only for international gsm use.

katdemo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2013
Question:So there's no sim card i can use to get past the activation? I'm really not trying to use it for service
Nope, not that easy.
They don't unlock for a fee.
You need to have an account with them and have fulfilled many other things to qualify for an unlock.
And a sprint iPhone unlock is only for international gsm use.

----------

I opened one today (two days after i tried contacting the seller)

Also, make sure you open a dispute with PayPal and get your money back

katdemo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2013
I thought it was sprint but when i took it to the sprint store they said could be a ATT&T phone took it to ATT&T and they said it was Verizon and Verizon Advised me to go back to sprint :cool:
=katdemo;17787343]Question:So there's no sim card i can use to get past the activation? I'm really not trying to use it for service
You can activate it and get into the home screen by using a sim card from the company that its locked to.
Do you know what carrier the phone is locked to?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I'd contact Apple.
They will be able to tell you what carrier the phone is locked to.
Most of these wireless company reps you went to probably didn't know what they were doing or sounds like they didn't even want to spent any time to help you out.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I bought the phone off of ebay (I thought it was sprint but guy completely ripped me off) I've tried using an att sim(I cut it myself:) but it keeps telling me that "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.
The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone.Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information." :[ is there ANY way i can bypass the activation screen? or a sim card i can buy to unlock it? PLEASE HELP

Returned it through ebay if "I thought it was sprint but guy completely ripped me off"

So you knew it's a Sprint phone, and tried to put AT&T sim cards in it?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Returned it through ebay if "I thought it was sprint but guy completely ripped me off"

So you knew it's a Sprint phone, and tried to put AT&T sim cards in it?

Yep, looks like another misinformed buyer that buys first and asks questions later.
Sure, that's the cheapest iphone 5 available on ebay. That's what Im going to get:D
It will probably work with AT&T right?:D

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I believe the TS phone is a CDMA phone that has usa sim locked (which is why at&t doesn't work), prob. sprint do to this, but maybe Verizon.
I think you need to tell them at sprint to activate your phone.

If you don't want service then try getting a non-at&t/better a non-usa sim

Last edited:

katdemo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2013
Actually I asked questions BEFORE i purchased the phone and a sprint sim card is the first thing i tried... did you guys over look the part where i said i went to sprint FIRST?... and Sorry but I didn't know $750 was cheap:confused:
Yep, looks like another misinformed buyer that buys first and asks questions later.
Sure, that's the cheapest iphone 5 available on ebay. That's what Im going to get:D
It will probably work with AT&T right?:D

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Actually I asked questions BEFORE i purchased the phone and a sprint sim card is the first thing i tried... did you guys over look the part where i said i went to sprint FIRST?... and Sorry but I didn't know $750 was cheap:confused:

Nowhere in the thread did you say you tried a Sprint sim card. In the first post you said you tried AT&T:

"I've tried using an att sim(I cut it myself but it keeps telling me that "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported."

Judging from what you said so far, it seems that the device is as described as ebay description, which is a Sprint locked phone. If that's the case you'll lose the ebay / paypal contest.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

You said you took it to a Sprint store and they told you it might be an AT&T iphone.
Anyway why would you buy a Sprint iphone 5 and try to use it on AT&T? Doesn't make any sense. Sprint iphones are usually the cheapest ones.
Live and learn I guess for you from now on. If you did your homework before and you knew what you were supposed to purchase you wouldn't have to deal with ebay and paypal trying to return it to get your money back now.
Best of luck to you though....

katdemo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2013
*sighs* I went to ATT&T BECAUSE sprint told me to! Not that you helped but thanks for the advice
You said you took it to a Sprint store and they told you it might be an AT&T iphone.
Anyway why would you buy a Sprint iphone 5 and try to use it on AT&T? Doesn't make any sense. Sprint iphones are usually the cheapest ones.
Live and learn I guess for you from now on. If you did your homework before and you knew what you were supposed to purchase you wouldn't have to deal with ebay and paypal trying to return it to get your money back now.
Best of luck to you though....

ratbrain

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010
look at the back of the phone and look at the model number. if its a US model. 1428 its GSM and 1429 its CDMA.

GSM = ATT / TMO
CDMA = Sprint /Verizon

if its a 1429 model and if you have sprint, i think you have to go to the Sprint store to activate the phone to your account to the CDMA version.

if its a 1428 model, ATT or TMO sim should activate the phone depending which carrier its locked to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.