Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kurtis500

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Hello..first post :)

I recently bought a MBP 15 retina and Im switching from a 15 mbp 2.33 core 2 duo machine. The logic board was failing and I bought the new one a week in advance of its final moments. In between the two I used time machine to migrate all my info. I wasnt very happy with the lack of accuracy in transferring emails and etc and I would prefer to just copy my stuff directly across. The new machine has a few weeks on it and Im using the old computers SSD drive to access stuff. The old machine had Lion as does this one. The question is this. Is it possible to just CCC the other computer on to this machine and get rid of the original migration from a few weeks ago? Will it mess with my registration numbers and etc from this computers hardware? Can I wipe out this new computers SSD and then CCC across? I would just prefer to go back to what I had a couple of weeks ago but on this new computer... Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
From the sound of it you have the old SSD in a USB enclosure and you are able to boot from it on the new machine? If this is the case, then yes.... just option key boot to the old SSD then start Disk Util and erase the internal on the new machine then use CCC to move everything from the old SSD to the new machine.

You won't have any problem with the machine's hardware serial numbers. The only serial number issue you may have is some apps, notably Microsoft Office and Adobe apps, will detect you are on a new machine and require reentry of registration info.

kurtis500

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
From the sound of it you have the old SSD in a USB enclosure and you are able to boot from it on the new machine? If this is the case, then yes.... just option key boot to the old SSD then start Disk Util and erase the internal on the new machine then use CCC to move everything from the old SSD to the new machine.

You won't have any problem with the machine's hardware serial numbers. The only serial number issue you may have is some apps, notably Microsoft Office and Adobe apps, will detect you are on a new machine and require reentry of registration info.

Great! Thats exactly what I was looking for. I need to dig around for the registration numbers for Office. I bought the machine in 07 and havent seen them in years. Is there a quick location to find these or is it just on the case the disc came in?

Thanks again!

One last note. The Office software works seamlessly after migration onto the new mac. Maybe it wont be an issue..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.